Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It has been just about a year since I said a final good bye to Ken. For those who knew him personally and well, nothing is added here.

As a first rate gun guy, Ken was loaded with knowledge, experience and practical applications - all of which he shared willingly. He also was an excellent writer and teacher of writing as well as an expert on many things literary. Although his voice and hearing were greatly impaired in the later years, he remained a fine raconteur and enjoyed many an hour in recount of times and events - with lots of clever sayings and jokes tossed in for good measure.

Ken was very generous in gifting his firearms and related stuff to folks he appreciated, and he steadily sought ways to help others with his talents and knowledge. Like most of us with strong views he could be difficult and irritating in discussion or argument, but his positions invariably sprung from well-developed knowledge, keen insight to life's realities, and firm convictions. His deep understanding of the Holy Bible (including the original languages) and the positions he took regarding Christianity sometimes were beyond, or indigestible by, the less studied among us.

Although he loved being around this Campfire, he sometimes moved back from the warmth if doubting the value of his presence. Sadly, he was at such distance when he died. Wishing I had known and experienced Ken well before his body failed him again and again, I am none the less grateful for what I was able to see and know in the man.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
He is happily at peace with his beloved wife and his loneliness and suffering is over.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by CCCC
It has been just about a year since I said a final good bye to Ken. For those who knew him personally and well, nothing is added here.

As a first rate gun guy, Ken was loaded with knowledge, experience and practical applications - all of which he shared willingly. He also was an excellent writer and teacher of writing as well as an expert on many things literary. Although his voice and hearing were greatly impaired in the later years, he remained a fine raconteur and enjoyed many an hour in recount of times and events - with lots of clever sayings and jokes tossed in for good measure.

Ken was very generous in gifting his firearms and related stuff to folks he appreciated, and he steadily sought ways to help others with his talents and knowledge. Like most of us with strong views he could be difficult and irritating in discussion or argument, but his positions invariably sprung from well-developed knowledge, keen insight to life's realities, and firm convictions. His deep understanding of the Holy Bible (including the original languages) and the positions he took regarding Christianity sometimes were beyond, or indigestible by, the less studied among us.

Although he loved being around this Campfire, he sometimes moved back from the warmth if doubting the value of his presence. Sadly, he was at such distance when he died. Wishing I had known and experienced Ken well before his body failed him again and again, I am none the less grateful for what I was able to see and know in the man.
+1

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Posthumous BJ's?

Merry Christmas,
Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Can always count on one who can't stand not being the center of it all.

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
He is happily at peace with his beloved wife and his loneliness and suffering is over.
Yes, indeed. RIP Ken.

I spoke to him once over the phone. He asked me to send him an old cartridge I had that, for some reason, he found interesting. He mentioned he was going to include it in an article or book. Not sure if he ever did.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ken and I tended to not see eye on some things. Overall though, he was a good man.

Sam......

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
"No man is an island, Entire unto itself, Every man is a piece of the continent, A part of the main ... Any man's death diminishes me, Because I am involved in mankind, And therefore never send to inquire for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee." John Donne

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I too miss my conversations with Ken. When you sat down and started talking with him, you never knew which direction the conversation would turn, but you could count on learning something new.

I have seen video of him giving presentations while in his prime and I have difficulty believing that large of a man was the same, frail fellow in his home in Quemado.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RIP Ken.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Merry Christmas, Sir! smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am better for knowing Him. I miss Him, and wish that somehow I could have spent more time with Him. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
he was very well intentioned, no doubt. and also very knowledgeable.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
He was good company when he was my MT neighbor.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
And only the Master shall praise us,
And only the Master shall blame,
And no one will work for money,
And no one will work for fame.
But each in the joy of the working,
And each in his own seperate star,
Shall draw the things as he sees it
For the God of all things that are.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
RIP Ken, and Merry Christmas to you and your wife. I'm glad you can be together.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for posting that, Paul. I regret that I got to know Ken so late in his life, not to mention so late in mine. I know that you were a valued friend among the many that he had who helped him when he needed it most. God bless all of you who took the time and made the effort to see that he did not perish alone and neglected.

Last edited by mudhen; 12/24/16.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know that you were a valued friend among the many that he had who helped him when he needed it most. God bless all of you who took the time and made the effort to see that he did not perish alone and neglected.

Amen. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Paul, i for sure know all that you did for him during the increasingly difficult later years in his life.

I first met ken I think back in the 70's, at least for sure when he was working for wolfe publishing in prescott. Got back in touch much later when I found out he was in the nursing home here in the valley for a while, then the quemato thing.
Yeah, I miss him. He had a depth of intelligence and knowlege on many a diverse topic. Towards the end we were emailing back and forth on some simple things, like the food at the el charro's, and other common memories during his time in prescott.

I trust he is today where he wanted to be for a long time, with his wife.
I think when his report card was read, there were an awful lot more stars on it than demerits.
Friends are few and far between, he was a friend.
speaking of common things more in your area paul, been watching the webcam at yavapai college. daughter says down at sheldon and pleasant five inches on the ground, and more coming in. Thus, they stayed put at my house there, rather than driving down here. 40degrees on the patio here by the way.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 12/24/16.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by deflave
Posthumous BJ's?

Merry Christmas,
Clark

This time you are an azzhole.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

505 members (300jimmy, 2ndwind, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 2UP, 270cowboy, 51 invisible), 1,774 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,150
Posts18,523,363
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.