Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My wife is watching this Sylvester Stallone movie Assasins, well I happened to look at the screen at the right moment.

The scene has a guy up in a building going to shoot Stallone with a scoped rifle. There is an ammo carrier on the side of the rifle. This ammo carrier is loaded with shotgun shells.

You would think with all the money they spend on movies they would get the props right.

Of course I did see a movie about the Gold Rush some time back. Placed in the 1849 era they were carrying 1873 Winchesters. That crap ruins movies for me.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I started watching movies/Tv on my computer, I started saving a few things when I thought of it and had the time.

The Horse Soldiers... SAA's (probably Great Westerns) with fake loading rods welded to them to make them look sort of like cap and ball guns.

[Linked Image]

Last week watching Narcos... he's got a bent suppressor and only one scope ring! (other angles show it's an airsoft rifle)

[Linked Image]

A shot from LOST. That front sight will make it hard to hit with. wink

[Linked Image]

The X-Files... okay, forgetting for a second the question of what he's doing to her to make her make that face.... he disarms Scully and we see she only carries one round in her magazine.

[Linked Image]

The other thing I've noticed, maybe it's intentional, a lot of prop guns don't have sights on them.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by cas6969; 12/25/16.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by cas6969; 12/25/16.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Stuff like that happens all the time. Movies and TV shows aren't shot in chronological order. The close up of the gun could have been shot weeks or months from when the wide angle shot was done. Different prop guy working that day. Not anything new, in fact they are doing a better job than years ago.

On a lot of the TV series the actors always wore the same clothes for a reason. Bonanza is a good example. This way they could always recycle scenes filmed for one show and use them again in a later show.

In one of the Bourne movies he is pointing a Sig at someone when the scene cuts away for a few seconds, it is a Glock when they come back.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That Ive seen few times, the worst being the awful "Pure luck" where an auto (Beretta 92 maybe? ,heck it was 1991 when I saw it) changes to a S&W revolver and back, depending on the camera shot.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love it when a chick strokes the fore end of an AR-15 and you hear the sound of a shotgun racking a round.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a hard time watching John Wayne in The Comancheros. They are all carrying Winchesters and Colt SAA's yet the movie is supposed to be set in 1843.....

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
I remember a Barnaby Jones episode where the plot revolved around hand loader ammo for the perp's rifle. When the camera zoomed in on the perp's loading room, there was a MEC shotshell loader. Boom, case closed we have the evidence.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by sackett
I have a hard time watching John Wayne in The Comancheros. They are all carrying Winchesters and Colt SAA's yet the movie is supposed to be set in 1843.....

Those fall into the "Anything John Wayne used was OK" category. grin

Worst firearm idea ever was the Mare's Leg Winchester 92 Steve McQueen used in Wanted Dead or Alive.

Someone must have never had to depend on a firearm to survive a situation to have thought that one up....

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Of course it's well known The Rifleman's, Chuck Connors, big loop Winchester wasn't yet invented. But he shot a hell of a lot of folks with it anyway didn't he?

Last edited by Godogs57; 12/25/16.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Follow up: Val Kilmer and crew on Toombstone apparently had twenty round magazines in their single actions at the OK Corral. Look for it...

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
In the Vietnam War movie "Rain" one soldier is armed with a Hi-Point 9MM carbine.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by sackett

Those fall into the "Anything John Wayne used was OK" category. grin

Worst firearm idea ever was the Mare's Leg Winchester 92 Steve McQueen used in Wanted Dead or Alive.

Someone must have never had to depend on a firearm to survive a situation to have thought that one up....

And the ammo in the belt loops couldn't fit the rifle. Looked like he was carrying .45-70 ammo for the little .44-40.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Especially since he carried ammo for a different caliber weapon on his belt.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I always hate the empty holes on revolvers. Some movies I just like to look at ALL the old stuff, not just guns, some I can remember, some I just know about, and some I wonder about. I still like to look at the gun rack on Mayberry to see what is in it.

This is where the public gets their education; sparking bullets, auto pistols that sound like belt fed and carry that many.

I have seen a few movies where they actually had the proper guns, proper loading sequence for a muzzleloader, but even "History" channel has a guy priming a flintlock before loading a new ball.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Not an irritating prop, but here's one that I'm sure escapes a lot of people.

In the famous Dirty Harry opening shootout, Harry does his "how many shots did I fire" routine. When the robber "gots to know" if Harry had a round left, Harry points the gun at him and thumbcocks the hammer, and when he pulls the trigger on the cocked gun the cylinder rotates.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I530sPVQSc8

Last edited by immature; 12/25/16.

Increasing my post count so people will buy stuff from me
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've seen more than one Indian riding a shod horse.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Follow up: Val Kilmer and crew on Toombstone apparently had twenty round magazines in their single actions at the OK Corral. Look for it...

Along those same lines, count [b][color:#3333FF]how many shots[/color][/b] Costner gets off in the next 25 seconds..

laugh

This cobbled together 2x4 monstrosity always makes me laugh, what is that like 6" between the bore and the line of sight?

[Linked Image]

I always found this shot in the final scene from th Good,Bad, and the Ugly interesting..

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by immature
Not an irritating prop, but here's one that I'm sure escapes a lot of people.

Ha, I never noticed that before...

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
You gentlemen just do not realize. All our western hero were armed with custom Colts made expressly for the movie industry. They're made to shoot 222 time before they have to be reloaded. This was insisted upon by the prop gun reloaders union.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
"I have seen a few movies where they actually had the proper guns, proper loading sequence for a muzzleloader, but even "History" channel has a guy priming a flintlock before loading a new ball."

kenny, that may not be an error. Muskets like the Brown Bess used a "cartridge" in which the ball and powder were wrapped in a combustible paper tube. The loading procedure was to tear off the rear of the paper with your teeth*, then dump a small amount of the powder into the pan before shoving the rest of the powder, paper, and ball into the barrel. They didn't carry separate priming powder.

* This bit of trivia is why a full set of teeth was an enlistment requirement for British soldiers.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (222Sako, 204guy, 160user, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 63 invisible), 14,445 guests, and 1,053 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,079
Posts18,541,492
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
07:15 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.