Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
This is the only pic I can get right now. Back in '07 when he as 7.5 yrs old.
We miss him.

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

The dog crew ca. 2003.

The little guy was a Jack Russel/mini fox terrier mix, he passed on five years back.

The one in the middle was a rat terrier, she got out of the yard one night and disappeared. Unusual as she wasn't a roamer.

The heeler mutt is one year old in that photo.

IME, rat terriers are much less wired than Russels, and also a lot more visual, befitting a classic squirrel dog, as opposed to a typical Russel which is more often nose to the ground.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We had a "jack-rat" when first married. He was a mole killer. Really hyper but was still a dandy to have around.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Old pic of Otis the JRT. He was a handful

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Bella is the only Rat Terrier I've had but she's catatonic compared to JRT's I've been around.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I am a big fan of the JRT. We do not have one now, because Momma has a brand new little phoo phoo yorkie/maltese cross.

This was our Rascal. We had to recently put him down at a young 7 1/2 due to a debilitating and progressive back injury He was sold as a pureblood Jack, but I have doubts in that regard. He grew to a fit 30 lbs and lived to hunt anything with fur or feathers.

Here, he is taunting a big old bull snake, but that is as close as he ever got to it.
[Linked Image]

When he was not in kill mode, he was every bit as sweet as this picture portrays. He absolutely lived for visits from the grand kids.....of any age 6 mo thru 12 years. He did not care. He loved them.

There is something in a JRT's eyes that I have not seen in any other breed. They are so intense, and alert to your every move.

[Linked Image]

Begging our grand daughter to play tug of war.
[Linked Image]

The day we brought him home.
[Linked Image]

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I nailed this one in 2012. Threw a 200 gr TTSX via 358 Win.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

There is something in a JRT's eyes that I have not seen in any other breed. They are so intense, and alert to your every move.

Yeah, its just in case you drop something so they can gobble it up. i nicknamed mine Goat.

great dogs,but i was constantly worried about mine getting himself killed.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EdM

[Linked Image]

I'm calling BS on that one.

Not enough gun.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've lived with JRTs for a long time. They are not hyper, but they DO think they weigh 500 lbs and have to be treated as such. Nothing like Rat Terriers.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B3

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Jack Russell. Thinks she's about five times her size.

[Linked Image]

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
our beloved Emmy Lou, aka *EL* for short passed last april a year ago. she was descended from a pack of mtn fiests/terriers that made their living controlling varmints & vermin at a commercial poultry farm in ne Georgia.

she was long legged, short-haired, weighed 23 lbs, when the doc said she should weigh 18 lbs. she was 18 inches high at the shoulders. and feared nothing nor anyone. i believe there was some whippet hound mixed into her ancestry back there somewheres. we had her fixed early on so she never had any pups. she was mostly white, with brown spots. we still miss her and do wish we had gotten some pups from her.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by EdM

[Linked Image]

I'm calling BS on that one.

Not enough gun.

[Linked Image]

grin

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Jack Russell Terriers are amazing dogs. I've had two. Fearless killers, self entertaining and will snuggle in your lap while you watch football.

They have nine lives, they ain't right in the head and have endless energy. I've never met a creature as tenacious.

My sisters JRT, Daisy, OWNED every dog park she stepped foot in!

"Happiness is being owned by a Jack Russell Terrier" -bumper sticker

The woods and the water recharge my batteries.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Here is Sam my 8 year old rat, great dog with amazing prey drive
[Linked Image]

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by crashnrondo
Here is Sam my 8 year old rat, great dog with amazing prey drive
[Linked Image]

seems like it is written somewheres that a rat terrier began as a cross between a fox terrier & a manchester terrier. i don't know that i've ever seen a manchester terrier, but i don't doubt that they really do exist.

a JRT is a "type" of fox terrier if i'm understanding things correctly. a mtn feist might be a bit different but does possess quite a bit of fox terrier heritage, which might have come from the JRT bloodlines. it's an interesting subject, and the dogs that carry that bloodline are to be praised.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rat terriers aren't an engineered breed, only in the last few years AKC accepted them as a true breed. They more or less just happened and got popular likely for their prodigious anti-vermin capabilities. And they're just nice dogs to have around. One of the breed clubs had a "family tree" posted, maybe they still do, that had about every popular breed you could think of in there somewhere.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Here's my Chocolate Tri-Color, "Chance". He loves chasing down Rabbits, Squirrels, hell he even tries to catch Ruffed Grouse!

[Linked Image]

He even goes berserk whenever a Bear hunting show comes on the TV.....thinks he can tear that bear a new azz! LOL

[Linked Image]

Rat Terriers are just cool dogs! grin

Last edited by frogman43; 12/25/16.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My newest JRT. Picked him up from a rescue. Great dog!

[Linked Image]

Growing up. Just turned one yesterday!

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Best dog I've ever had

Attached Images
Jack&Mandy.JPG (70.71 KB, 66 downloads)
Jack&Bella.JPG (91.85 KB, 53 downloads)
XmasJack.JPG (48.25 KB, 51 downloads)
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

652 members (219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 219DW, 222Sako, 57 invisible), 2,548 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,637
Posts18,512,140
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.