Hop To
D
dave284 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Tumbler?

My old tumbler bit the dust in the flood last June and I'm about ready to start cleaning some of the brass and bullets that still have traces of mud on them. May also use it for some smaller tools, chrome sockets, allen wrenches, drill bits etc. Maybe also some gun parts, firing pins, hammers, sears, springs, etc once I start detail stripping the firearms. Loading dies. Could run into a mixture of mud, wd40, rem oil, grease whatever.

I have been watching videos of each on you tube and it looks like either the sonic or the rock tumbler may be the best bet as they can be used with different cleaning agents and with or without stainless pins. Honestly I don't know if a vibratory tumbler will hold liquid or if it would leak out.

Which one would you buy?

Thanks.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I don't think you will hold any liquid it a vibratory tumbler, and if you do I don't think it will work well. You really need a rotary tumbler if you go that route. Rock tumbler would work but not sure of the capacity you typically get. Lot's of guys seem very happy with the Frankford Arsenal package for wet tumbling brass.

I have a vibratory and a sonic. Barely use the sonic. Wish I would have gotten a rotary with stainless pins (least for brass).

Liberalism; The impossible yet accepted notion that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
We did a treadmill tumbler (found a used treadmill on Craigslist very CHEAP... in about 3-4 months (after New Year resolutions fade).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwZOsU2oLh0

We use pretzel jars from Sam's Club, BJs etc. Silicon the Agitator fins (3) on the inside... I had some PVC ceiling grid in a "T" shape. SS pins. They work great.

Last edited by CashisKing; 12/28/16.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
the vibrator will hold liquid but it just bathes,and splashes.
i have both types and for brass alone i always use the vib. But that is only because i am lazy.
i have used my tumbler for all the things you have listed and more. I got a hard on for the Stainless pin cleaning and bought the Frankford Arsenal unit. excellent unit but takes more time then the vibe units though it makes brass look new even primer pockets. i found a padlock from the 1850's that looked to have been lost new, put it in the pin tumbler with lemashine and citric acid and when it was done(2 days) it operated and i could just make out the name on it.

Last edited by deerstalker; 12/28/16.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
dave284 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Thanks guys.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Dave-
The Lyman Turbo Sonic 6000 is made to clean parts. Whole guns etc. They have different solutions for different materials to clean. Can use other solution also.

It is not cheap but very powerful. Large parts basket and drain. Two industrial transducers. You can get it at Cabela's and other places.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Check out u tube videos of the thumblers tumbler, works great, cleans brass inside and out. Cleans primer pockets, makes 100 year old silver dollars look new.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Originally Posted by hanco
Check out u tube videos of the thumblers tumbler, works great, cleans brass inside and out. Cleans primer pockets, makes 100 year old silver dollars look new.

And destroys any numismatic value! Okay if your making jewelry, but NOT for collectible coins!

I have a Thumlers Model B I bought in 1976 and have tumbled literally hundreds of thousands of pieces of brass in that time. Mostly dry but have done some wet tumbling as well.

I also have a vibratory from Harbor freight. (2nd one, 1st one burned up in a month)

Both have their uses, but the Thumlers is a real workhorse.

D
dave284 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Thanks guys, think I'm going to try one of the rotary/rock tumblers.

www.wvcdl.org
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Boy there are some strange homemade (funky) tumblers on youtube, buy your self a quality tumbler you won't regret that you did.

IC B3

D
dave284 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
10-4, and I love your tag line.

www.wvcdl.org
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Dave,

I bought the RCBS Sidewinder a couple of decades ago and don't regret it at all. It will do wet or dry tumbling. I use ceramic media with the RCBS solution and it will clean even the dirtiest, most tarnished brass, inside and out.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Stainless steel wet tumbling kicks everything else off the table.

Franklin armory makes a good one or you can buy the old rock tumbler style

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I use a dual drum rotary tumbler from Harbor Freight. Stainless steel pins with hot water, dish soap, and LemiShine. Check out YouTube for instructions. Works great.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use the Frankford Arsenal tumbler.
You don't have to use the whole 5 lbs of pins to do a great job, get a magnet pickup also.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (1lesfox, 12344mag, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 160user, 222ND, 53 invisible), 2,379 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,611
Posts18,511,737
Members74,008
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.