-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can also take the plate out of a Decelerator which saves some weight.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brad,

MPI sells Decelerator pads without the metal stiffener for $30 plus ship.

Should save you an (unnecessary) ounce or so.

Do not need it if You are gluing it to the stock as opposed to screwing it on.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The Pounder is supposed to be 16 ounces out of the mold.

Melvin Forbes says his is 8 ounces out of the mold.

I have not actually weighed either.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Doesn't matter . I can't buy Mel's stock for a M70.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 1986 M700 Mountain Rifle KS that was equipped with a Brown Kevlar stock from the factory. Finished weight with the sling studs and Remington pad is 18.05 ounces.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

IC B2

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Has anybody had one of these stocks camo dipped?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Doesn't matter . I can't buy Mel's stock for a M70.

Yea,the pounder is likely the lightest for your gun,just mentioned the NULA as an example that stocks could be lighter if someone would build them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by N2TRKYS
Has anybody had one of these stocks camo dipped?

Not yet, but I will shortly.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have a Brown Precision that finishes at 25 ounces, but is in standard fiberglass with no kevlar. Includes a Decelerator with the metal in it.

I think that straight fiberglass absorbs recoil even better than the kevlar, as it is not as stiff.

As you may know, Brown will do some fun things for you, such as making only the forend with kevlar or graphite while leaving the butt as plain fiberglass. That is the way to go IMO. And get a Decelerator without the metal. Brown used to do that as an option also.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
i have had several of the remington ks stocks from brown and never had one lighter than 26 ozs

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gene270
i have had several of the remington ks stocks from brown and never had one lighter than 26 ozs

Then they are not PoundR's. I have owned some KS, handled even more and none of them were Brown PoundR's.

On the recoil issue....I found the PoundR snappy and for me even a 7RM is on the edge. Like a Kimber Montana in 7mm WSM, which I also don't care for.

The PoundR is at its best in 270/280 or below. I know others don't feel the same.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a spankin' new LH Brown Precision pound'r finished for rem 700, sporter contour and bdl inlet...22 oz. with Brown-branded 3/4"-ish pad and studs.
Snagged it for $289 on GB as a completely factory-finished stock. It was a Gander Mountain listing there, dunno how the hell they got it.
Stiff mofo and a helluva fine stock for the dough. I've wanted one for years and considered that score the next best thing to the lottery....

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by broomd
I have a spankin' new LH Brown Precision pound'r finished for rem 700, sporter contour and bdl inlet...22 oz. with Brown-branded 3/4"-ish pad and studs.
Snagged it for $289 on GB as a completely factory-finished stock. It was a Gander Mountain listing there, dunno how the hell they got it.
Stiff mofo and a helluva fine stock for the dough. I've wanted one for years and considered that score the next best thing to the lottery....
Heck of a score there. Can't imagine that you could go wrong at that price. I always wanted to try one but the factory finished price has held me back.

Buy once, cry once.
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

I think that straight fiberglass absorbs recoil even better than the kevlar, as it is not as stiff.

That's my experience as well.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have no idea of the Kevlar content in this one, but it is stiff. Hasn't been fired, still need barrel head-spaced and indexed to new action. One of the resolutions for '17, 'finish rifles'...
Of the three Brown stocks I have had, this is the first with a "Brown Precision" pad logo on it...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice rig, and great buy! I suspect being a lefty worked out on that purchase to your benefit!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just to add another data point - I have a pounder for a LR Mauser and with paint and a 0.5 inch pachmayr pad/plate it is 1 lb 7 oz. (23 oz)

Brad - did you confirm whether or not Brown makes a stock for the SA Model 70?

I currently have one in a McM compact and thinking about making a change to something along the lines of a Bansner or Brown (if they make them) as well.

best,

Bob

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll calibrate my scales and weigh the stock again, but 18.05 ounces is what I have written down on the stock. Hhhhmmmm.......

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BlackBart
Just to add another data point - I have a pounder for a LR Mauser and with paint and a 0.5 inch pachmayr pad/plate it is 1 lb 7 oz. (23 oz)

Brad - did you confirm whether or not Brown makes a stock for the SA Model 70?

I currently have one in a McM compact and thinking about making a change to something along the lines of a Bansner or Brown (if they make them) as well.

best,

Bob

Bart, just got and email from Mark Brown this afternoon:

Happy New Year to you too, Brad!

Yes, we certainly do make a stock for the Model 70 short action. It will be our straight "Classic" style hunting stock, without a cheekpiece, and set up for the standard sporter style barrel contour.

It is available like all the rest of our stocks....Stock Blank, Premium Pre-Finished, and complete custom install.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, or if we can be of service in any way, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Good Shootin

Mark Brown
President

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
The Brown on my 375 is the best of the synthetics (McM, Bansner) I own with regard to ergonomics. It weighs 7# 11 oz empty and unslung.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 52 invisible), 2,626 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,460
Posts18,471,276
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.