Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sorry to be off topic - But super nice Mach 1 EdM!! Don't see many like that in my part of the world.

Back to the topic at hand - for those that have the PoundR, how long is the forend and how well do you feel it suits the Winchester Featherweight contour?

I just got my metal work back (SS Model 70 SA with 22 in FWT bbl in 7mm-08) and was going to stick it back in a McM Compact that I have but am now seriously thinking of going with the PoundR...or possibly the Bansner/LAW.

thx

Bob

Last edited by BlackBart; 01/09/17.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I think the forend is perfect but don't ask me for numbers cause i won't measure it....far better than that abbreviated fore end on the Compact which sucks but is serviceable smile

If I thought the PoundR fore end did not work well I would not have hunted it for 30+ years..... smile

Here they are side by side. Pair of FW 270's. I'll take the Brown. smile

[Linked Image]

Last edited by BobinNH; 01/09/17.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I think the Compact looks best with a 20" barrel, while the Pounder looks awesome with a 22" barrel.

I would take the Brown ergos anyday over the Compact for actual field shooting. It fits me great. but that could vary between different people.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
One of many amazing threads cutting RCH's. grin

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not to be too dense - but what is RCHs?

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bob - I'll take that pair any day of the week......

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I think Ed is referring to dissecting hairs from various parts of female anatomy......but I could be wrong. smile

Bill I been hunting with something like that pair since I got my first Brown Precision in 1979 or 1980 or so.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks BobinNH, I appreciate your thoughts and the picture.

Now to decide....

This one isn't going anywhere soon, so cost is not a huge issue.

Below is a hint of the future...

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That'll do!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I think the forend is perfect but don't ask me for numbers cause i won't measure it....far better than that abbreviated fore end on the Compact which sucks but is serviceable smile

If I thought the PoundR fore end did not work well I would not have hunted it for 30+ years..... smile

Here they are side by side. Pair of FW 270's. I'll take the Brown. smile

[Linked Image]

The FW in the Brown, what technique was used for the bedding ahead of the receiver:

-Completely free to tip?
-Short barrel pad ahead receiver?
-Either above, w/ pressure pad at tip?
-Full length bed to tip?

Been looking at a M70 FW for a project for about 12 years now, collecting dust. It has a 22" Winchester FW contour. Been thinking about the Brown and a good bedding technique to settle down that contour.

Thanks!

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Gary : Good question....That rifle came bedded from Brown. Looked like a nice job but it did not shoot,which was perplexing.

I took it to my smith, Larry, a match shooter who knows M70's.

He said some M70's would shoot with no barrel pad forward of receiver and some would not. Mine was completely floated so Larry suggested a barrel pad forward of receiver, and some reinforced bedding to the left of the tang,since the bolt stop/ejector cut outs made the M70 a bit less rigid in that area.

Whatever he did, it worked as groups improved substantially after he rebedded the rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks, I expect it to be tricky. When Gale McMillan was alive, he wrote me a letter reference barrel harmonics of a factory barrel, and how the use of a pad, or pressure pad, could tame the harmonics of that factory barrel, vs free floating, like common with a match barrel. In addition, the taper of that FW contour, may cause some issue, if it sits on a pad ahead of the receiver. An option I considered was to put a pressure pad at the tip, with maybe a few pounds upward push.

Not trying to be lazy, but the thought of juggling all those options to find the sweet spot, plus load work, keeps the project on hold.

Last edited by GaryVA; 01/10/17.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Gary don't be paralyzed by analysis.

If between friends and I we have not dropped 25-30 FW M70's into synthetic stocks we haven't done a single one. I don't have a memory of any that were problematic.

Send the rifle and stock to Alex Sitman at Master Gunstocks or Redneck (who did the other rifle in the picture). I doubt you'll be unhappy.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Doesn't MPI make one that comes out at like 9 ounces or something??? Ultra lightweight????

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Unlikely.

If advertised as such, I would have to weigh one on one of my scales before believing it.

Call it personal experience in attempting to get a 20oz finished stock on a 98 mauser...

And it not just MPI...

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mjduct
Doesn't MPI make one that comes out at like 9 ounces or something??? Ultra lightweight????

Yes but that's the unfishined weight. My gunsmith finished one for his 375 RUM that went 14 oz I believe. He is hoping that since mine is a short action with a short foreend that it'll be closer to 12 oz finished but we shall see.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

Yes but that's the unfishined weight. My gunsmith finished one for his 375 RUM that went 14 oz I believe. He is hoping that since mine is a short action with a short foreend that it'll be closer to 12 oz finished but we shall see.

Please report back on the weight. I'm doing a faux Ti and might be persuaded to go another direction with the stock depending on what your's tips the scale at.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

My best friend's 416 Wby tore apart an MPI in 12 shots. Hope yours is ok.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Luckily mine is much less power than a freaking 416 wink

If worried about it a standard 16 oz one would be much stouter than a 9 oz versions.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
416wby????? I was thinking 204 ruger walkaroud rifle at 3 lbs!!!

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

660 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 06hunter59, 79 invisible), 2,856 guests, and 1,374 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,478
Posts18,471,724
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.