-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Timely thread! I opened a box of 300 H&H ammo I loaded with 200 gr Accubonds about the time the thread was going. out of the 40 rounds in the box 3 were missing the plastic tips. Looks like a good reason to go shoot the 300 H&H and load up some new stuff.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bugger
Wow, this is a really old post, but is a very good read. Thanks to AD and MD and all for the reports.

I stop using a bullet as soon as I think it has failed, period. It is hard for me to follow advice if the bullet blows up on the ribs for me or if the bullet travels through the animal leaving a pencil size exit wound and requires multiple shots. For example, I used Speer's premium bullet - Grand Slam - the first year it came out and I found it wanting. I heard/read that it got better, but I still have that original box of bullets and have bought no more. I planned on using it on rocks.
Now, I have Nosler Partitions in most calibers from 6mm to 338. I started buying them in the 60's when I had a 264 and didn't find a different bullet that worked like I thought it should. Never ever have Partitions failed. I might be just as happy with A-frames or others of similar build -- H-mantel perhaps, but never see them for sale around here.
I have several boxes of mono bullets, but never trust them enough to use them on game because I don't want/need to experiment when I am confident that the Partitions will always work. I will probably sell them soon, unless the EPA or some other government agency says that we have to use them. As I recall the early results were not perfect with the monos.
The other bullet that I trust for game when under 3,000 fps is the Hornady Interlocks. I've used these bullets faster and they killed like lightning, but the damage was too much for me.
A friend uses a certain brand of bullets that are known for accuracy and rarely known for their hunting bullets, because he can shoot 1/2 MOA groups with them. A couple of years ago, he shot a deer and then again and again, after 6 shots the deer went down and the gore was horrendous. But as he said, "It shoots so accurately, it shoots half the group size as the bullets you prefer." Besides it has a very high BC. -- That deer never made it to 100 yards away, but the bullet did have a high BC. He says that sometimes the deer drop like the hammer of Thor hit them and he's satisfied.

I'm glad this old post was resurrected!

I could have written that myself. I have other bullets in the cabinet and other bullets loaded, but when it comes time to pull the trigger on an animal, the Partition gives me confidence the others never will. It's never my most accurate bullet, but it's always accurate and tough enough to do the job. I have some Accubonds in 6.5 and am willing to try them on animals. They'd have to perform flawlessly over time for me to trust them like I do Partitions, and I am just not likely to turn to them often enough to build that relationship.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If the Accubond hopefully, usually, generally works as well as the Partition, why would one not be wiser to simply use the Partition in the first place???

I still remember my buddy opening the first box of Accubond factory ammo from Winchester also--nothing but loose tips came spilling out of the box. He turned to me (the supposed local "expert") and asked "Are they supposed to do that?"

Last edited by DakotaDeer; 01/06/17.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
If the Accubond hopefully, usually, generally works as well as the Partition, why would one not be wiser to simply use the Partition in the first place???

Sometimes one will shoot better than the other... have to shoot them both to know. My first choice is always the Partition. But I never feel disappointed if the Accubond shoots better.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Sometimes one will shoot better than the other... have to shoot them both to know. My first choice is always the Partition. But I never feel disappointed if the Accubond shoots better.

These are my thoughts as well.

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I wonder if the Nosler employee that shortcut the bullet bonding process is still with Nosler???

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been following this thread off and on since it was brought back up. All I can add is that I have shot just about everything I have taken for the last 11 or 12 years with AccuBonds. Without consulting my hunting notebooks, there were at least six bull elk, three pronghorns, three desert mule deer and a half-dozen or so Coues whitetails here in the states, and one impala, one oryx, two kudu, one waterbuck and one eland in Namibia. All were one-shot kills and I have recovered only three bullets.

Retained weights ranged from 63 percent with the .375 260-grain AB (shown here on the left) up to 69 percent in the .257 110- grain AB (right), with the 9.3 250-grain AB falling somewhere in between:
[Linked Image]

If I were going after dangerous game, I would probably choose Partitions or A-Frames, both of which have performed admirably for me in the past, but today it's mostly ABs for everything I hunt.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
I wonder if the Nosler employee that shortcut the bullet bonding process is still with Nosler???

Manager Bob. ?

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Brad
In the intervening years, I've used quite a few NAB's, all either 165 or 180 30 cal. Results have been stellar. Have also recovered a couple of the 180's from a friends 300 WM on two different cow elk that look like they came from the advertising literature.

I don't think they penetrate quite as much as a Partition, but they're close for sure.

That is my experience too. I seem to recover them more often. But they'll break elk bones if need be. Even if pushed at high (7STW/300 WBY) velocity. No complaints.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Brad,

I test bullets in several ways, including a "soft" media, a "hard" media and animals. The hard media is stacks of dry newspaper, because after some experimentation I found it simulates hitting larger bones pretty well.

Can't remember when I tested some 200-grain .30 caliber AccuBonds against some 200 Partitions, but it was a while back, because newspapers were still large enough to shoot several bullets into the same stack, rather than 2-3. But I do remember using the the .300 Winchester Magnum as the cartridge.

Shot some of both bullets into the same stack of newspaper, and the AB's slightly outpenetrated the Partitions. That was just one of many instances that eliminated any concerns about the penetrating abilities of AccuBonds.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Interesting John.

I've never kept a 165 NAB in an elk from the lowly 308, but my friend has 3 180 NAB's caught in cow elk on broadside shots like those with my 308. I was there for two. I shot a cow with his of nearly identical size, and nearly identical shot placement, and my 150 Ballistic Tip from a 270 sailed on through. His 180 was under the offside hide. Purely anecdotal for sure, as I've never tested any of them in media. On that day I'd have said the 270 was the better elk rifle!

I always liked Aagaard's test, wet phone books with a piece of 1/2" plywood sandwiched below the top book. But phone books are going the way of the dodo.

But as you say, nothing really compares to shooting animals.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Damm glad I read this thread. Just worked up loads for my Remington 700 in 7-08 using 140 gr AccuBonds. Had Great results. Going to send Leupold my info for my VX-2 CDS calibrated dial, and read some less than stellar opinions of Nozler Accubonds. This puts my mind at ease. Not opinion, just facts.
John, appreciate your input. Thanks

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
All sorts of things can go into bullets getting caught under the hide on the far side, but don't have much bearing on the bullet's overall penetrating capability.

One example is .270 150 Partitions. Have seen a bunch of game killed with them over the years, and they only normally kill quickly but penetrate very well. We found one in the far shoulder of the Shiras bull moose my wife killed; it had stood quartering away and Eileen put the bullet in the rear of the ribs, aiming at the far shoulder. That sort of penetration would seem to guarantee broadside penetration on smaller animals, but Eileen used the same load to shoot a spike elk through the ribs behind the shoulders. Found the bullet under the hide on the far side. But she also put the same load through both shoulders and the spine of a big mule deer buck weighing almost 200 pounds field-dressed, standing broadside at only 100 yards--and that bullet exited.

Due to those and other experiences with various bullets, have come to the conclusion that whether a bullet exits or not depends more on the conformation of the mushroom rather than on how deeply it penetrates. Am pretty convinced the sharp petals of bullets like the Barnes X's, the old Fail Safes, Nosler E-Tips and Hornady GMX's actually cut the hide, rather than pushing it away like more rounded mushrooms, such as those from AccuBonds and A-Frames. Partly this comes from a fair numbers of the X's, Fail Safes, etc. that I've recovered having lost most or all of their petals, thus ending up with a more rounded front end.

But it also depends on the hide. Some animals have thicker, tougher hides than others, especially over the shoulders, which definitely has an effect.

But some of it also has to do with luck. In South Africa about 15 years ago I shot a big gemsbok, about the size of a 5-point bull elk but with even thicker hide, through the flesh of the shoulder just behind the big joint with a 260-grain .375 H&H bullet. The bullet was recovered from basically the same place on the opposite side, just under the hide. Less than an hour later my hunting partner used the same rifle and load to break both shoulders of a similar-sized gemsbok bull--and that bullet exited. The range was a little different but not enough to matter.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Oh, and the bullet used on the two gemsbok was the short-lived 260-grain Ballistic Tip, one of the heavy-jacketed models were the jacket itself is about 2/3 of the bullet's weight. It was only around for a year or two before Nosler turned it into an AccuBond, but it penetrated plenty. On that same safari I also put one lengthwise through a springbok. They're only about the size of a pronghorn, but that's still at least three feet of penetration, from one of those lousy Ballistic Tips. Have mentioned before doing the same thing with a 200 .338 BT on another gemsbok bull, though that one stopped under the hide of the rump.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John,

Thanks for adding the follow-up information concerning the original post.

The majority of my experience with AB's is with the 140 .277. Nothing but great performance so far.

That was after using 150 Partitions for many years which never caused me any problems.

I do agree with Brad, the AB's might not penetrate quite as deep as a Partition when comparing the 140 AB to the 150 PT. But it is darn close. From bullets I have recovered though, retained weight edge goes to the AB along with a wider frontal profile. Probably the reason they might penetrate just a tab less?

Part of my reason for trying the AB was cost. At the time, 10 plus years ago The AB's were cheaper for practicing with what you hunt with. Another benefit was 140 NBT's shot exactly like 140 AB's in my rifle. Practice with second grade NBT's, hunt with AB's

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by oldotter
Damm glad I read this thread. Just worked up loads for my Remington 700 in 7-08 using 140 gr AccuBonds. Had Great results. Going to send Leupold my info for my VX-2 CDS calibrated dial, and read some less than stellar opinions of Nozler Accubonds. This puts my mind at ease. Not opinion, just facts.
John, appreciate your input. Thanks

My dad's best bull so far.

A single 140 AccuBond, 7mm-08, my handloads, 2850 fps MV, tight behind the shoulder.

[Linked Image]

My dad shot him at 225 yards. He staggered about 90 feet and fell over. The bullet exited. Lungs were destroyed.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
There's very good arguments for the accubonds. But what about the bullets with the tips falling out?
Have the failures posted over a decade ago been completely addressed?

Not being in the business of having to try new things makes one have a little different perspective I suppose.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
There's very good arguments for the accubonds. But what about the bullets with the tips falling out?
Have the failures posted over a decade ago been completely addressed?

Ad nauseam

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SU35

Ad nauseam

You said it. A fox smells his own first.

So, why ignore the issues stated? Why not address the issues? I'm a big fan of MD's writing. These issues seem to be real.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Bugger
Originally Posted by SU35

Ad nauseam

You said it. A fox smells his own first.

So, why ignore the issues stated? Why not address the issues? I'm a big fan of MD's writing. These issues seem to be real.

They've been addressed many, many times.

There was an issue. It was isolated, brief, and corrected.

Now there is no issue.

Carry on.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 25aught6, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 52 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,924
Posts18,518,884
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.