Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#11717117 01/06/17
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
1941 release; Gary Cooper in recognition of an American hero...

If you have not seen this it shines light on days of old before the "Big One". Ways and means, chunk gun shoots and more.

I was aware of this one for years, but never had the opportunity to see it. Worth the time in my opinion....

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
One of my favorite movies.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
easily one of my top 5 favorite movies

I've watched it many, many times

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Neat to reflect that the bulk of that movie was shot indoors on those incredible "sound stages"

.....after work, jump into one's street clothes,...and hop into one's car,....Cooper probably had a studio valet to bring his wheels around. Dunno what he was driving in 1939,....he damn sure knew a good ride when he saw one

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
One of the great classics. Might just go to Net Flix and watch it again. Snowing and cold, good way to pass the time. I highly recommend it.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Great movie. If you can, visit his home in Pall Mall, Tennessee.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One of my all time favorites. My grandfather was drill instructor to one of his grandsons (IIRC). Don't think he met Sgt York though.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like some of the English language "breakdowns" strewn about the movie.

One time Ol'Ma York is telling one of the gals to "not be a fear'd" for Alvin. Interesting to listen to.

Originally Posted by DigitalDan
If you have not seen this it shines light on days of old before the "Big One". Ways and means, chunk gun shoots and more.

That lifefstyle went on way after the Big One. I can remember in the early 80's, my Gpa in Arkansas still used an outhouse and had a wood burning cook stove that he'd make breakfast on every day. I remember one time a piece of my breakfast bacon still had a few porcine hairs attached to it.

First fishing I ever did was for crappie in the Arkansas river using can poles that he'd cut and dried from a local "holler".

He passed in '86.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
My paternal grandfather may have rubbed elbows with him, not sure about that. He was from Dover,TN and went nuts one day over there. Blackjack Pershing pinned a DSC on his chest afterward.

Grand dad used to send my ol' man out to collect some squirrels for dinner. If he shot them somewhere other than the head a stern lecture was in order. God forbid he brought back fewer squirrels than he shot at.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I like some of the English language "breakdowns" strewn about the movie.

One time Ol'Ma York is telling one of the gals to "not be a fear'd" for Alvin. Interesting to listen to.

My mother grew up in the rural mountains in the NE corner of TN, literally within walking distance of both VA and NC. I can remember visiting there as a kid during the 1960's and 70's and almost needing an interpreter. They had a very different form of the English language. My mom, and the sisters who married and moved away grew out of the dialect. Moms only brother and one sister never moved away and spoke in a similar fashion all their lives. They are intelligent, educated people. But they don't sound like it to strangers.

Being filmed in the 1940's the dialect is probably fairly accurate for the era. You'd have a hard time capturing that today because almost no one alive still speaks that way. And movie audiences would not understand that it accurately reflected the dialect of the time.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Another here who calls it one of his favorite movies for the real life character portrayed but also for some of my favorite character actors and also, and not minimally, for a time in America past that we'll never see again.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Watched that when I was a kid....loved it (along with several of his other movies).

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This movie had legs enough to have been a virtual staple for the "Weekday Matinee" venue, in the town I grew up in, NOLa. Think late 50s early 1960s,... Lowes and the Saenger theater, right across from one another on Canal St, and the RKO, Orpheum further up, and just off Canal towards the river.

Movies were affordable than, and both still had big signs over their marquees reading "Refrigerated Air".

IIRC, these matinees opened with The National Anthem,....and folks still STOOD for that.

.....a dollar went a LONG way.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by TNrifleman
Great movie. If you can, visit his home in Pall Mall, Tennessee.

Was down there last week talking to some of his kin folk. Beautiful area down there, it's only about a 45m min drive from me.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My grandfather was in the 82nd "All American" Division in WWI. Not in same company as Alvin York, but said he remembered that York had a tendency to wander off and get lost grin
No disrespect to a true hero intended.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I just searched for it on Netflix but it didn't come up??

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's a great movie! No telling how many times I've watched it over the years!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
A Great movie! been awhile since I seen it!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[b][color:#3333FF]Not Netflix[/color][/b], but you can blow it up full screen..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

154 members (1beaver_shooter, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 300_savage, 14idaho, 16penny, 26 invisible), 1,424 guests, and 1,018 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,650
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.