Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
no

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I would prefer the interior to never get blued. There is no advantage in bluing a rifle bore. It usually happens when the exterior is blued. One that does get blued will benefit from a minimal break in process to help smooth down the rust residue left behind.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Blue the barrel, inside and out, doesn't hurt the accuracy but makes it easier for who's doing the blueing. Plugging the bore and placing it in boiling water or blueing salt can make a very nasty problem if a plug blow free.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by gemby58
Blue the barrel, inside and out, doesn't hurt the accuracy but makes it easier for who's doing the blueing. Plugging the bore and placing it in boiling water or blueing salt can make a very nasty problem if a plug blow free.
Got THAT right..

When I used to do hot bluing I NEVER plugged the bore. I honestly don't know who does.. Besides, if the bore's plugged that means the barrel's resting on something and that will show up on the blue.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
OK, thanks everyone!

We should change our politicians
like we change dirty diapers....
and for the same reason.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Blue it all. I had a CM benchrest barrel at one time that was blued inside and out. Shot just as good as my SS match barrels.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by gemby58
Got THAT right..

When I used to do hot bluing I NEVER plugged the bore. I honestly don't know who does.. Besides, if the bore's plugged that means the barrel's resting on something and that will show up on the blue.

I made bore plugs for Parkerizing and plateing, they expand to fit the bore and chamber, I hang the barrels off the plugs, but plugs in boiling water don't mix, I only have to get parkerizing solution to 190 degrees. With blueing barrels I use trimmer string to hang my barels.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I always blued using custom (mine) bore-rods (3/16?) iron rod - with tank-hangers on each end to keep them suspended in the Du-Lite solution. That way I was sure they were suspended in the solution, and if the piece needed "shocking" - alternating between cold water and hot salts to get rid of brown or brownish red (hell- sometimes it even worked!) on the metal parts, I could handle the pieces individually.

I never used plugs. That's just asking for steam explosions. With caustic salt solution!. I figure the first shot down the bore would clean it out anyway.. And I did a number of my own rifles- made no difference before/after accuracy. Have no idea if it changes friction co-efficient. Don't really care.

Might be an interesting experiment, tho.

You really think factory barrels aren't blued inside and out?

Never did any plating- that might be different, but I wouldn't worry about it with parkerizing or bluing, neither of which changes surface dimensions.

Last edited by las; 01/10/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (35, beefan, 308ld, 808outdoors, 338reddog, 7 invisible), 929 guests, and 881 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,206
Posts18,524,263
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.