Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by 338Rules
Beeing a Canuck, I Always thought one in .303 British would be interesting.
I know that a certain number were chambered in the tree-Oh-tree.

Anyone know if one could rechamber a .30-40 with any probability of success. Feeding , firing etc.

The .303 has a slightly larger bore diameter. You would have to rebarrel.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Another in .30 US Army!

[Linked Image]

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,

WS

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
The rifle in the OP reminds me of one of the guys on "The Last Alaskans" on TV. One of the guys that lives out there uses an 1895 for his moose hunting. Nice rifle. Don't remember them saying what caliber, I assume 405, but maybe 30-40, not sure. I've had a chance at a Browning new model but didn't jump. Should have I guess. Had some 1886's too that I liked but I tend to let rifles get away.

His 95 was a .35 WCF.

Thanks, you must have seen more of the shows that I have. I was curious.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Another .35 WCF. I think old son is about to take possession of this one! He killed a nice buck on his place with it this season!

[Linked Image]

Founder

WS

IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
The rifle in the OP reminds me of one of the guys on "The Last Alaskans" on TV. One of the guys that lives out there uses an 1895 for his moose hunting. Nice rifle. Don't remember them saying what caliber, I assume 405, but maybe 30-40, not sure. I've had a chance at a Browning new model but didn't jump. Should have I guess. Had some 1886's too that I liked but I tend to let rifles get away.

His 95 was a .35 WCF.

Thanks, you must have seen more of the shows that I have. I was curious.

Your welcome. Naturally When I saw he was packing a 95 I listened close. When he was talking about it I remember him mentioning it was a 35!

Founder

WS

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Welcome back Bob!

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by tmitch
Welcome back Bob!

Thanks! Discovered my iPhone 5 is not Compatible for adblocker plus. Tonight I'm only getting random redirects. May be back to impossible tomorrow. Who knows! Did get the photo bucket Thing fixed. They admitted it was a glitch on their part!

Probably have to upgrade soon to a different phone.

Let's see more 95's!!!

Founder

WS

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
My favorite rig! .30 USArmy. Circa 1915

[Linked Image]

I may be wrong, but that also looks like that Army Special 32-20.
What a nice combination you have, there.

Give Steph our best wishes.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My SRC .30 ARMY

[Linked Image]

Charter Member

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
A message To the OP! I understand the mystique of the .405. What an Iconic rifle and cartridge! But if it were me, I'd hunt up a decent .35 WCF. Easy to load and much easier on the shoulder. And generally easier on the pocket book!!! I suppose it could be said that the 35 is kinda the pappy of the .405. Same case head, but the .405 is longer. And naturally more big around! .35 is a bit older too! But not by much. Jamison's is making some excellent unprimed cases for this cartridge!!!

This is my nicer .35 of the two I own. Complete with Lyman #21 receiver sight. It's a real Daisy of a rifle!!!

[Linked Image]

Founder

WS

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Ray Lewis from the Last Alaskans has a 1895 35 WCF converted from a 30-40 Krag. He had a local gunsmith convert it. Ray is a good guy and knows his stuff.

I have two 1895s. One is in 30-03 and the other is 30-40 Krag with a flaming bomb arsenal bomb on the barrel. It has been bubba'd but I will seek to go to brownells and get it fixed up right. These two belonged to one of the greatest Alaskans that I have ever known and I will never sell them to anyone. Al Taylor might have been the most interesting guy that I have ever met and he served as my Alaskan Grandpa. A warrant officer in the South China seas before ww2 who was born at the foxfarms near the airport in Chitina. He competed in the LA Olympics in Chinning. After the war, Al was a tug captain in the Bering Sea. He was a forest firefighter after coming back to the basin. He built most of the cabins in Kenny Lake from his handmade sawmill.

Al used those rifles to take many bears to have a swim. His grandson inherited them and traded them for almost nothing and I picked them up cheap. I won't be buried with them but they belonged to one of the most kickass guys in existence. I will never forget some rougher guy known for being a no good drunk in his 30s giving Al grief outside of the old Chitina Bar. The guy threatened to shoot him and brandished a club looking milsurp mauser. Al just looked him in the eye and knocked him cold, went inside to get a beer for him and a coke for me(I was 12 years old) and left him there next to his pickup truck. Al was 68 but still was 6'2" and working lumber at his sawmill every day. The guy woke up and crawled off. I sat and watched him to make sure he wouldn't try to shoot Al.

Al always had a fishtrap that he called his weir. Fish and Game never asked him to close it down. They never bothered him. When I go by his place down by Lower Tonsina I say a bit of a prayer making sure that AL is being a good Alaskan in Heaven.

I keep looking for a Model 71 in 450 Alaskan. It will happen. I just have to be patient.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hey Bob, you "wished" me one of these awhile ago and it finally came through. Not an 1895 but a classy Winchester nonetheless.

[Linked Image]

Charter Member

szihn

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by tmitch
My SRC .30 ARMY

[Linked Image]

I think the 95 SRC is just a sexy carbine! And I really have no issues toting a 95 in the woods. The SRC's just have a turn of the century allure to them!

Postscript!

Great catch on the 64 carbine!!! You just don't See those everyday!!

Last edited by kaywoodie; 01/09/17.

Founder

WS

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I did tote my .405 for a bit of deer hunting this fall. Didn't find it too cumbersome, as some seem to find it, carrying one handed just ahead of the magazine. Wasn't much in the mood for killin' this year to try it out on the small buck I saw, but the Lyman 21 gave me a good sight picture on him and was pretty confident I coulda ventilated him.

Charter Member

szihn

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
A message To the OP! I understand the mystique of the .405. What an Iconic rifle and cartridge! But if it were me, I'd hunt up a decent .35 WCF. Easy to load and much easier on the shoulder. And generally easier on the pocket book!!! I suppose it could be said that the 35 is kinda the pappy of the .405. Same case head, but the .405 is longer. And naturally more big around! .35 is a bit older too! But not by much. Jamison's is making some excellent unprimed cases for this cartridge!!!

This is my nicer .35 of the two I own. Complete with Lyman #21 receiver sight. It's a real Daisy of a rifle!!!

[Linked Image]

Thanks for the advice! If I ever get one I plan on elk hunting with it and your photo proves the 35's ability on elk! If you don't mind my asking what range were you able to kill that elk at?

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I never got the chance to use old son's range finder on distance. But from judging where young son shot his out of same herd and they did range his, I'd say close 170-175 yards! Which surprised hell out of my blind azz! laugh

Founder

WS

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I bet the 405 will hit your shoulder pretty good

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Sorry for poor pic. But this is one of my tang safety Winchesters. Picked it up used. Some previous owner had refinished the wood. Sanded the checkering a bit. And stuck on the uncle Mikes swivels. This is one of the best pointing hunting rifles I own. It's a natural! Someday I hope to stick a Providence tool co. Lyman # 21 copy on it! This will probably become the everyday toting rifle when I hit the ranch.

[Linked Image]

I will add, the only real desire I have for just one more 95, it would would be a musket! Would love one in .30 US Army. But they can get pricey. A Russian contract model in good condition would probably be more realistic. And the Russians come with a stripper clip guide! How cool is that???

Founder

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Ray Lewis from the Last Alaskans has a 1895 35 WCF converted from a 30-40 Krag. He had a local gunsmith convert it. Ray is a good guy and knows his stuff.

I have two 1895s. One is in 30-03 and the other is 30-40 Krag with a flaming bomb arsenal bomb on the barrel. It has been bubba'd but I will seek to go to brownells and get it fixed up right. These two belonged to one of the greatest Alaskans that I have ever known and I will never sell them to anyone. Al Taylor might have been the most interesting guy that I have ever met and he served as my Alaskan Grandpa. A warrant officer in the South China seas before ww2 who was born at the foxfarms near the airport in Chitina. He competed in the LA Olympics in Chinning. After the war, Al was a tug captain in the Bering Sea. He was a forest firefighter after coming back to the basin. He built most of the cabins in Kenny Lake from his handmade sawmill.

Al used those rifles to take many bears to have a swim. His grandson inherited them and traded them for almost nothing and I picked them up cheap. I won't be buried with them but they belonged to one of the most kickass guys in existence. I will never forget some rougher guy known for being a no good drunk in his 30s giving Al grief outside of the old Chitina Bar. The guy threatened to shoot him and brandished a club looking milsurp mauser. Al just looked him in the eye and knocked him cold, went inside to get a beer for him and a coke for me(I was 12 years old) and left him there next to his pickup truck. Al was 68 but still was 6'2" and working lumber at his sawmill every day. The guy woke up and crawled off. I sat and watched him to make sure he wouldn't try to shoot Al.

Al always had a fishtrap that he called his weir. Fish and Game never asked him to close it down. They never bothered him. When I go by his place down by Lower Tonsina I say a bit of a prayer making sure that AL is being a good Alaskan in Heaven.

I keep looking for a Model 71 in 450 Alaskan. It will happen. I just have to be patient.

Dunno how i missed this! What a great story! And great rifles! Thanks!!!!

Founder

WS

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 1badf350, 69 invisible), 2,689 guests, and 1,439 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,609
Posts18,492,430
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.