Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Exactly.

Becoming a viable factory cartridge in the U.S. means approval by the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute (SAAMI), made up of manufacturers who want to make sure any factory ammo is safe in any factory firearm chambered for the round. And they have yet to approve a maximum average pressure for any rifle cartridge of over 65,000 PSI.

Another possible hang-up would be consistent chamber dimensions. Different throat lengths wouldn't cut it.

All that aside, SAAMI membership isn't necessary to produce ammunition, and even compliance with their pressure and dimension standards is voluntary among members. A number of small non-SAAMI companies make and sell ammo outside its standards. There's no reason GAP can't make ammo in Hornady cases and sell it. But that wouldn't make the cartridge nearly as available (and popular) as SAAMI-approved factory rifles and Hornady ammunition.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As somebody that has only recently renewed their interest in shooting and hunting after a eight? year hiatus, I am pretty pleased to see all the interest in the various 6.5 cartridges. Would like a 264 Win to add to my 6.5X55 sometime in the next few years. If I recall, going into your LGS 10 years ago and asking about a 264 Win Mag would have garnered some funny looks. laugh

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Exactly.

Becoming a viable factory cartridge in the U.S. means approval by the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute (SAAMI), made up of manufacturers who want to make sure any factory ammo is safe in any factory firearm chambered for the round. And they have yet to approve a maximum average pressure for any rifle cartridge of over 65,000 PSI.

Another possible hang-up would be consistent chamber dimensions. Different throat lengths wouldn't cut it.

All that aside, SAAMI membership isn't necessary to produce ammunition, and even compliance with their pressure and dimension standards is voluntary among members. A number of small non-SAAMI companies make and sell ammo outside its standards. There's no reason GAP can't make ammo in Hornady cases and sell it. But that wouldn't make the cartridge nearly as available (and popular) as SAAMI-approved factory rifles and Hornady ammunition.

Copper creek is already selling 6.5 Saum ammunition , I reload all my ammo so personally I would just like to see some more brass choices like possibly Lapua,but I would be happy if Remington would start making 7mm Saum brass more available not sure if they are even going to make it anymore, George said he had a couple companies looking to possible make it by this time next year we'll just have to wait and see !
Ga precision is on it's 3rd round of brass and it was suppose to drop down from $1.55 to a $1.10 but I haven't seen it, when the brass becomes a little cheaper I can see it gaining in popularity!

Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

483 members (17CalFan, 222Sako, 1234, 1_deuce, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 43 invisible), 2,383 guests, and 1,099 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,455
Posts18,529,069
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.