Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I built a building with a 20'x 20' gun vault in it. 8" concrete walls,styrofoam forms with rebar,6' concrete roof on steel decking with rebar ,and the widest Browning vault door i could buy. i keep it at 60 dergrees and 50 % humidity with an electric heater and dehumidifier. Heres a link to the building of the building and vault. It is a bit lengthy. Don

http://www.pbase.com/loggah/the_vault

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Another reason for doors to swing into a room is security. Hinge pins are inside, unable to be removed by miscreants.

Jim

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'd redo it to be bigger and swing in for sure... if I was going to.

In the meantime I"ve taken to keeping a jack and some pipe pieces inside, much like we use for extrication at the fire dept sometimes years ago...

I figure I"ll get out regardless, or at least use the cell to call someone...

Thought about the bell out of the casket type thing from yeras ago.... like a periscope. LOL

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Loggah
I built a building with a 20'x 20' gun vault in it. 8" concrete walls,styrofoam forms with rebar,6' concrete roof on steel decking with rebar ,and the widest Browning vault door i could buy. i keep it at 60 dergrees and 50 % humidity with an electric heater and dehumidifier. Heres a link to the building of the building and vault. It is a bit lengthy. Don

I like that

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Fantastic! What a beautiful space.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do you fellas use mechanical or electronic locks on your doors?
Being an old school guy I'd opt other than electronic myself.
Just wondering your thoughts on the matter.

Black Cows Matter!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R

Thanks for sharing. That was a great relaxing slide show! You should be very proud. Looks like you did it all yourself basically too. Very well done!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by muleshoe
Do you fellas use mechanical or electronic locks on your doors?
Being an old school guy I'd opt other than electronic myself.
Just wondering your thoughts on the matter.

Mechanical only for me. Don't care for electronics personally.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
You can put a lot of guns in a room like that

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by davet

At 8'x8', with gun racks along all walls, you could just about stand in the middle, and reach the rifles on either side of you with both hands. It's not a lot of room for the money outlay.

Nobody ever said, "I wish there was less storage place here..."

8'x12' is just another two sheets of dry wall, and 4' of flooring and ceiling. You can keep other valuable items in there as well, if you have space.

You do realize the room is already built...right....

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've never seen a vault with a door that swung in.
Much weaker.

abusus non tollit usum
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 673
That sounds pretty cool, the ceiling is concrete too? how did you do that?
I was considering doing the same sort of thing.

Built a wood joist system over it, covered with plywood and then laid a rubber membrane over entire lid that overlapped walls and sealed out moisture .... Then lots of mesh & rebar on top of that and poured the concrete over all that

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

That's just crazy! All of it. Top-to-bottom. Spectacular.

Liberalism; The impossible yet accepted notion that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by MadMooner
What did you do for a door?

... lowered into basement and installed before they started setting joist and sub-floor. I got lucky and got my hands on a bank vault door some carpenters removed during a large bank remodel. It doesn't say "Browning" on it, but it's secure. Also, has emergency handle on interior so you can't be locked in while inside it. Price was right! smile

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Envy is a sin. I need to go to confession Loggah. That's spectacular.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by davet

At 8'x8', with gun racks along all walls, you could just about stand in the middle, and reach the rifles on either side of you with both hands. It's not a lot of room for the money outlay.

Nobody ever said, "I wish there was less storage place here..."

8'x12' is just another two sheets of dry wall, and 4' of flooring and ceiling. You can keep other valuable items in there as well, if you have space.

You do realize the room is already built...right....

BaHaHaHa! Glad someone is paying attention.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
It works well.i needed the rest of the building for my antique logging collectables. I looked or a bank vault door but couldn't find one when i built my vault. Ricky having the vault in your basement is a lot more handy then in another building.I realize your vault is already built,i just posted the link to give ideas of what to do with the inside. smile

Last edited by Loggah; 01/12/17.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
We are currently building our house and have a 17'x7' mechanical room under the rear porch in the basement. 8" block walls with metal deck and concrete above and a metal door that opens out just to save useable space inside. It's also going to house my well tank and water heater so there is a floor drain inside. I plan to put my safe in it and some wall racks to stand guns as I move them around. I may pour a pad on top of the slab and dowel it in to keep the safes off the floor but with the floor drain it's really not necessary. Not exactly a gun vault but somewhere to mount my safe out of the way and a way to gain additional storage space.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 673
That sounds pretty cool, the ceiling is concrete too? how did you do that?
I was considering doing the same sort of thing.

There is more than one way to skin that cat. Most expensive is probably a prestressed precast deck. Next time you're in a basement , go underneath the porch and look up.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
We are currently building our house and have a 17'x7' mechanical room under the rear porch in the basement. 8" block walls with metal deck and concrete above and a metal door that opens out just to save useable space inside. It's also going to house my well tank and water heater so there is a floor drain inside. I plan to put my safe in it and some wall racks to stand guns as I move them around. I may pour a pad on top of the slab and dowel it in to keep the safes off the floor but with the floor drain it's really not necessary. Not exactly a gun vault but somewhere to mount my safe out of the way and a way to gain additional storage space.

Sounds great!

I installed a floor drain in mine just to be safe if we ever had a water issue or if I'd ever need to run a dehumidifier that has a drain/dump coming from it.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 63 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,203
Posts18,485,345
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.