Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have an older, mid seventies, Remington 700 BDL walnut stock that has the shinny lacquer finish. I want to remove the lacquer finish and apply a satin or hand rubbed oil finish. I have no experience with this whatsoever.

I have done numerous Google searches and the opinions are mixed on use of chemical stripping agents, or fine grit sandpaper and steel wool, and no chemicals.

Looking for your opinions and experiences. Thanks for your response.

Gregg

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
This may be more than you ever wanted to know. TC1 (Terry) here did a very detailed tutorial a couple years back. I condensed the thread to only include the instructional material and pictures. You can find the links to photobucket condenced version pics and slideshow:
HERE

Or the original thread here:
TC1 thread

I also have this saved as jpeg or word. If you'd like to have a copy emailed pm your address.

Last edited by shootem; 01/05/17.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
PM Redneck. I struggled with a Remington Mountain Rifle stock for quite a while before sending it off to a company near you that he recommended that strips finishes from furniture. They were quick and inexpensive. Unfortunately, I have misplaced their invoice and the PM is long gone from my PMs.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by mudhen
PM Redneck. I struggled with a Remington Mountain Rifle stock for quite a while before sending it off to a company near you that he recommended that strips finishes from furniture. They were quick and inexpensive. Unfortunately, I have misplaced their invoice and the PM is long gone from my PMs.

Now that sounds like the right deal there. The older I get the less I enjoy home projects that are nasty.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, have it dip stripped if there is a furniture refinishing business near you.
Money well spent.
I did a Rem stock from that same era several years ago and it was a pain.
FYI, that high gloss finish isn't lacquer, it is urethane which is much harder to remove.

This thread a couple weeks back might interest you.
High gloss stock refinish.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This is great information, thanks!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I haven't done a lot of stock refinishing but never found it particularly hard or distasteful. And I have been proud of the results.
One or 2 applications of Jasco paint remover while wearing rubber gloves using a stiff brush removes the finish. Use a toothbrush on the checkering.
A light sanding with 320 grit will smooth the finish.
Use the finish of your choice. I have had good luck with rattle can Satin Verathane. Although some would say it doesn't seal completely, the rifles I have used it on don't get hunted in harsh conditions. I have syn stocked rifle for that.
Here is a M70 FWT I did recently.
Before
[Linked Image]
After
[Linked Image]

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Yep, have it dip stripped if there is a furniture refinishing business near you.
Money well spent.
I did a Rem stock from that same era several years ago and it was a pain.
FYI, that high gloss finish isn't lacquer, it is urethane which is much harder to remove.

This thread a couple weeks back might interest you.
High gloss stock refinish.

Words of wisdom. Stripping is the hateful part. Finishing is time consuming, but not hard.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Blacktailer, 1Nut, very nice looking stocks. I can only hope mine turns out like this. I appreciate the input. This rifle was a high school graduation gift from my parents and I'm apprehensive as I don't want to ruin it, but it needs something. Thanks again.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If your only issue is that you just want to knock down the shine, I wouldn't be stripping and re-finishing it.

You could rub it down to whatever level of shine that you desired.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The trouble with those thick epoxy looking finishes is that every time the stock gets dinged it cracks the finish and they look ugly in short order. Plus the bare wood is exposed in each of those dings because once cracked the finish will often slough off in that area.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have refinished 2 rifles because the poly finish was chipping and bubbling off.One was a Marlin 336 I sanded the finish off and ended up removing too much wood in the process.
The second was a Rem 742. I bought Brownells gunstock finish remover. I slathered it all over the wood let it work for the recommended time then washed the finish off with a garden hose and scrubbed it with a plastic scrub brush. I let the stocks dry and did it again the next day and all the finish was off. I let the wood dry for a couple of weeks then made a paste of Methanol and calcium carbonate powder and brushed it on the stocks. This removed the oil from the wood. I did this a couple of times also.and just brushed it off the wood.
This whole process took some time but the actual cost and labor was minimal. I refinished with tung oil and lots of rubbing and steel wooling.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Not to hijack, but is there something that strips well regarding painted synthetic stocks?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
If your only issue is that you just want to knock down the shine, I wouldn't be stripping and re-finishing it.

You could rub it down to whatever level of shine that you desired.

Yup, that is a fact.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
The trouble with those thick epoxy looking finishes is that every time the stock gets dinged it cracks the finish and they look ugly in short order. Plus the bare wood is exposed in each of those dings because once cracked the finish will often slough off in that area.

That is not the case with the 700 finishes in my experience. That is a mighty tough finish.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all the feed back. DakotaDeer that is something I am definitely considering. The rifle has been in cheap synthetic stock for years. I just don't care for the finish on the factory wood stock.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
What Dakota & Sitka said. Just nock the shine down with a scotch brite pad and wax it with a good carnuba wax. No need to take the finish off. Unless it has chips that breaks the surface.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by Taconic11
What Dakota & Sitka said. Just nock the shine down with a scotch brite pad and wax it with a good carnuba wax. No need to take the finish off. Unless it has chips that breaks the surface.

Absolutely! The current finish is probably more moisture resistant than you'll end up with anyway. If this doesn't work or the result is not to your liking, then proceed to plan B.

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
A 0000 steel wool, lightly rubbing, will remove the shine as well. Another possible option...

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
fishnpbr... I admit that I scrolled thru most of the posts.
Strip the lacquer finish, however... sand the wood down to at least 220 grit sand paper. Apply Tung Oil as the finish. Use Tung Oil that has been cut with a suitable product to thin it down so that it penetrates the pores of the wood (Homer Fornsby product). That will be the first coat. Then use pure Tung Oil for 3-4 coats. This is the hardest oil known to man. I reccomend the satin finish. When you start to see wear on the stock simply re-apply the oil... sooo simple and you will love the look and durability.

Larry

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 1234, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 55 invisible), 2,551 guests, and 1,390 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,690
Posts18,475,125
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.