Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have the same rifle stainless wood. No irons though. I tested a bunch of loads but the best were 180 gr sierra flat base, which I used for load development and Next was the 180 gr partition. Both with IMR 4831 and winchester primers in winchester cases. One inch or less 4shot groups. IMR 4831 is not usually mentioned but It gave me the best velocity and accuracy. Other powders were as accurate but at 75 to 100 fps less velocity. Hope this helps.

GB1

GaryVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yes, full float and thin wood for end are usually a bad mix. This particular stock is surprisingly stiff, though not stiff like glass. I have no thought, need, or want, for shooting a tight sling off this featherweight. Most any fast shot aided by the quickness of this rifle would be inside 50-yards, and a sling technique would slow me down. Any long shot would likely fall under 200-300-yards, and an adequate field position would suffice, without torquing the fore end.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
GaryVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Brad, the 1-pc bottom was already done.

With this FW contour, I do like the NH featherweight stock pattern. I like the ambidextrous drop, and slender for end. On this rifle, it maximises the usable forend, with the least material, with the perfect length for a 22-inch barrel.

I need to revisit the stock template thread, but the closest I recall to this pattern was the Compact, but I do not believe it looks as good length wise. I was thinking of shortening the for end on a Brown, but I would lose my drop. Same for the Bansner.

Kinda leaning toward the same FW pattern with an Edge fill. Forgot to weigh the wood before I just put it back together, so not sure an Edge would give me anything beyond stability.

Last edited by GaryVA; 01/14/17.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
GaryVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
If 150 loads become a dead end, likely would go back to my old ways w/ 180 partitions. Though now, like the thought of less recoil and faster recovery with a 150.

- Clint Eastwood
GaryVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just checked the wood stock, it weighs 30-ounces with a Decelerator pad and .25-inch spacer. Length of pull is a tad long, so change of pad and/or spacer would fix that, and drop the weigh a little. So, likely a solid fill McMillan would weigh slightly more, and and an Edge would weigh slightly less.

- Clint Eastwood
IC B2

TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Brad
Ditch the French Whorehouse Stock, drop it in a Bansner or Brown (I think The Brown forearm is too long and needs shortening). Ditch the factory 2-piece, all-steel bottom metal and replace with PT&G aluminum 1-piece and you're set.

A McMillan Hunters Edge will work too, and its comb is good for use with irons.

Here's the same rifle as yours I built some years back, 21" bbl., Bansner:

[Linked Image]

Brad and all, have you ever chopped an inch or two off a Brown forend?

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11668646/Re:_6_Digit_SS_Classic_FWT_06,#Post11668646

Here's a picture of a Classic featherweight in the first post that goes 7#'s 2 ounces in a mcmillan w/ edge fill, and set up a little diff than yours ie. the adl and the Talleys.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Brad and Gary,

Who you using to add the irons to the fwt contour?

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mine were done by the late Dave Gentry. Straight as an arrow. I've had mixed results by other smiths.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I haven't done it, but I talked to Mark Bansner about it. Cut a 1" section off forward the front swivel, reattach with Epoxy. Bondo to finish and paint. Doesn't sound all that hard.

I believe Stacy (Mtn Hunter) who used to post here did one. 350 RM if I remember right.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Mine were done by the late Dave Gentry. Straight as an arrow. I've had mixed results by other smiths.

Same here on the mixed results. If you find a good one please pass on the info.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
GaryVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker

Here's a picture of a Classic featherweight in the first post that goes 7#'s 2 ounces in a mcmillan w/ edge fill, and set up a little diff than yours ie. the adl and the Talleys.
Jerry

Is that a Compact?

Jerry's FW Classic w/ Edge

- Clint Eastwood
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ditch the French Whorehouse Stock, drop it in a Bansner or Brown (I think The Brown forearm is too long and needs shortening). Ditch the factory 2-piece, all-steel bottom metal and replace with PT&G aluminum 1-piece and you're set.

A McMillan Hunters Edge will work too, and its comb is good for use with irons.

Here's the same rifle as yours I built some years back, 21" bbl., Bansner:

[Linked Image]

Nice looking rifle there Brad...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GaryVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TomM1
Brad and Gary,

Who you using to add the irons to the fwt contour?

A good friend, hunting partner, etc., who is a guild smith. He helps me out with my looney projects. He currently supports other guild smiths, who job him some of their work, but otherwise, does not take work and is retired.

Though, the machine work with those particular sights were not difficult. The front and rear were production sight bases for that diameter, with the heights to work above the LEU QD bases. Ashley (now XS) made the blade, we cut it to regulate and refinished. Certainly did not require a guild smith.

- Clint Eastwood
GaryVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the feedback.

Forming a game plan to keep her 30-06. Currently, the tang, receiver, lug, and the tiny 1/8" shank of the barrel are bedded. As noted above, the wood has slightly compressed, and now the mag box is tight when the stock is torqued. Thinking I'll temporarily add a couple shim washers under the bottom metal to free up the box, grab some factory Vor-tx 150ttsx, and see if it shoots.

If it works, I'll stay with the same bedding technique, but add poured pillars.

If it does not work, I'll tinker with the bedding technique to try and get the 150s to shoot. Maybe I could remove the bedding under the shank, or increase the bedding ahead of the shank, or add a tip end pressure pad, or even full length bed. I'm sure one of those techniques would tame a FW barrel. Hopefully, the current bedding technique will suffice.

If it looks good with the factory Vor-tx, I'll work up handloads.

Thinking any stock change would be an Edge fill, in either the same FW pattern, or maybe the Compact.

Thanks again!

- Clint Eastwood
O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
The stock on mine is an MPI Kevlar. With the one inch recoil pad and three flush mounts for the Ching Sling, it weighs 18 ozs. ready to bolt up.
I keep telling myself to replace the factory SS FP & TG. The one that it comes with is 8 ozs......
BTW, using either form of Ching Sling, I can get into it on the way down into a sitting position. Allows me to shoot both faster and more accurately.
It's a great rifle with many very desirable features. Glad to hear you are focusing on it. E

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GaryVA
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker

Jerry

Is that a Compact?

Jerry's FW Classic w/ Edge

Gary,

Not mine, PM Chad (taylorce1) for any details.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Yes, that is a "Compact" stock in edge fill.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 16penny, 66 invisible), 2,455 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,440
Posts18,470,877
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.