Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Looking for first hand experience with Leupold German #4 vs "Post and Duplex" reticles. Prefer one over the other ? Specific advantages for one over the other ?

The Post and Duplex "looks like" possibly thicker thin sections than the German #4. I can find the German #4 subtension specs in the link below. However, I can not find subtensions for the Post and duplex reticle.

Preferences ?

Leupold Reticle Subtensions

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've not seen the post and duplex in person. Their #4 has the thick portions too far apart to be good in low light for me. The post and duplex looks on paper like it might be a better low light reticle.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I can't say the Post & duplex posts are thicker than the #4's but the posts on the Heavy duplex are thicker than the post & duplex posts. The center wires on the post & duplex and heavy duplex are about the same and the center area of the post & duplex is more narrow (posts closer together). Do a google search for post & duplex pictures. I can't find the link for my 24 hour campfire post a few years ago were I posted some pics of a FX-III 6x42 with the heavy duplex and some post & duplex pictures. I like the post & duplex more than the heavy duplex. The heavy duplex would have an edge for holding over for a long shot since the thin part of the reticle is longer between the posts.

Last edited by Dave_in_WV; 01/14/17.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not a gun writer here but I have a good amount of experience with the #4, heavy duplex, and LRD/BC reticle. would just like to find a post &duplex to try. Missed one very recently in the classifieds (VX3 3.5-10x40) thinking I would have rather had a recently made 6x42 or 6x36 instead. Should have jumped on the VX3 as it is close to the same size as the 6x42 and it would be going on my dedicated tree stand/box stand rifle which currently wears a Conquest 3-9x40.

That said, I've tried the Leupold #4and heavy duplex, and prefer the post duplex in that role. For distant shooting, the finer, wider apart #4 reticle is slightly better as is the LRD, which I prefer on a scope I won't be dialing for reasonably distant ranges (600yds or less). Just need to find a recent post duplex for sale, or break down and order what I want and pay more from the Leupy custom shop.

Craig

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I have used the #4 in the 6x42 for many years and it has been my go to scope until I tried the Meopta 6x42 with their version of the #4. The Meopta is thicker and the cross hair portion is smaller but having said that, the Leupold still works well in thick brush and low light. I have not tried the Post and duplex. I would not hesitate to get the #4 and hunt the world

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I'll add I do have a #4 installed by Premier Reticles several years ago. I still rate the post & duplex higher for hunting in the brush and dim light. YMMV

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
... Do a google search for post & duplex pictures. I can't find the link for my 24 hour campfire post a few years ago ...

Dave-in_WV,

Thanks for the hint... I found your post (link below). Very helpful. Based on those pictures, strongly leaning toward the German #4. Much appreciated.

Thank you !

Link to Post and Duplex pictures

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Does Leupold still offer the post & duplex reticle as an option? I can't find it on their website and the search feature doesn't yield any results.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have a couple of Heavy German # 4 reticles....

one on a 3 x 9 and the other on a Straight 6 power...

They both work well in the field and do the job they are meant for.

I do prefer the several I have with a Heavy German # 1 over them....

also have several 3 x 9s with a heavy duplex, and a 2 x 7.

My preference is the 2 x 7 with the heavy duplex. have taken several head of game with it, at distances of 250 to 300 yds, with the scope set on 2 power and was not handicapped in the least with it.

They all work as advertised.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have owned multiple scopes with both cross-hairs, German #4 and Post Duplex, and it's a toss-up for me of which one is the better.
Two different tools for many uses.

For close in, low light, action/moving shots I like the P-D best.

Sitting on a stand maybe the German #4.

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by StudDuck
Does Leupold still offer the post & duplex reticle as an option? I can't find it on their website and the search feature doesn't yield any results.

Post an Duplex is still an option on their custom shop pages. Click on the reticle tab in the link below.

Leupold Custom Shop Reticles

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
There was a version of the post and crosshair reticle Leupold did in the past that was a combination of a standard crosshair and the #1. The horizontal wire crossed the tip of the post and a vertical wire went up from the post tip. I think I would really like that style of reticle for my hunting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Originally Posted by StudDuck

Post an Duplex is still an option on their custom shop pages. Click on the reticle tab in the link below.

Leupold Custom Shop Reticles

Thank you.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
NOT A GUN WRITER....But I actually own all three. The post and duplex on my 2.5X looks exactly like a duplex minus the thick part on the 12 o'clock arm.
The #4 in 6X42 has foot thick legs @ 100 yards and inch thick crosshair subtentions, again at 100 yards.
Do not know what exactly you call it but the post and duplex I have is in a long tube 3X. It has a tapered post that is higher than the crosshair. Maybe you have two zeros with the Post tip and crosshair? Just got the 3X Post on a trade .375 M-70 have not decided if I will keep the scope.

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Quick pics from Leu's site.

Post and duplex:
[Linked Image]

German #4:
[Linked Image]

Heavy Duplex
[Linked Image]

I've used them all and got rid of the #4's. Haven't read the specs, but the Post and Duplex is basically a Heavy Duplex without the heavy top post. I like the P&D best of all.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The pictures aren't accurate. There's more spacing between the posts with the heavy duplex than the post & duplex. The spacing with the heavy duplex is the same as the standard duplex.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Probably is. I'll look at them tonight.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
The German #4 looks cool, I have a couple of the old Redfield post and cross hair scopes. I like them.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I only took a few minutes to compare a HD to P&D in 6x42 Leupolds. They were mounted on rifles so I couldn't stack them and I was inside after dark. I really couldn't tell a difference on spacing...there probably is but I'll have to take them outside to tell.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not a gun writer either but have used several good #4 variants by different vendors. Between the P & D and #4 Leupolds I will take the P & D.

Last edited by kenjs1; 01/19/17.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 19rabbit52, 49 invisible), 2,304 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,507
Posts18,472,347
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.