Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I've mainly chased whitetails and coyotes my entire existence thus far in Southern Illinois. Thinking its time to change it up and start trying to have some new experiences in life. Any recommendations? Overall value(price) and the whole experience of the trip would be my biggest concerns if I'd decide to move forward and pursue this. Also, I have a 9yr old son who is starting to gain interest in my hobbies. Do I try to include him in something like this at this point or wait for him to get some more years and experience under his belt? I'm thinking wait for now.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You need to give us a price range. Out of state hunts vary greatly.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
You need to give us a price range. Out of state hunts vary greatly.

Not sure at this point really? Maybe $5,000 max for a 1st time trip ... does that get a guy much? I'm up with all types of game ... antelope, mule deer, elk, hogs, whitetails, even predators. Just looking for different scenery with a great experience.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Colorado try 2nd season for cow elk plenty of left over tags to be had..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Try antelope.. Easy hunt.. Great for kids.. You can do it yourself..

Molon Labe
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

Which states?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
I've mainly chased whitetails and coyotes my entire existence thus far in Southern Illinois.

Is that a local thing, "chased"?

I've seen it used before as it relates to hunting.

I've been hunting a lot, for different animals. But, only had to chase one on a couple of occasions where the kill shot is less than optimal.

We save the "chasing" for the women in the bars... grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I've mainly chased whitetails and coyotes my entire existence thus far in Southern Illinois.

Is that a local thing, "chased"?

I've seen it used before as it relates to hunting.

I've been hunting a lot, for different animals. But, only had to chase one on a couple of occasions where the kill shot is less than optimal.

We save the "chasing" for the women in the bars... grin

Depends on what type of hunting gear you are "running." wink

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
D
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
D

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E

Which states?
Wyoming or Montana.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Depends on what type of hunting gear you are "running." wink

grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Good advice^^^^^^^^

Or Texas....an exotic might be fun for starters....or just blast a few pigs...they have plenty of predators too....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
With a 9 year old in tow go early season do an antelope hunt public land in Wyoming then swing down to Northern Colorado for an over the counter bull or draw cow tag. If you have a camper or trailer already you'll have at least a grand left over. You can apply for a tag in Wyoming fairly soon and Cow tag in Co before April or leftover in August.

Staying in hotels cabins etc probably can be done under that budget even with a cow,bull and antelope tag.

That assumes you have a truck or good hunting vehicle, rifle rangefinder, boots etc. Upgrading your elk hunting gear can be habit forming and expensive.

My dad and I never made the elk hunt we talked about and that might be the biggest regret that I have. Take your son this year and get that Rocky Mountain elk hunting bug. I'm dragging my grandson out this year he turns 12 and will be carrying a rifle. I expect he will talk about it the rest of his life.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A young man was out hunting alone, and shot his first buck. Proud of his accomplishment, he laid his gun against a tree, and took his knife from his pack to go gut it.
As he was about to make the slice, he remembered the law said it had to be tagged first, so he pulled his tag from his pocket, and tied it on the antler.
As he picked up his knife, his "DEAD" deer revived, it had only been stunned by a glancing bullet!
Up it jumps and runs away! With only his knife in hand, he gives chase! And just over the creast, he hears a shot, and he is crestfallen. Oh no!
He comes over the rise, and sees another hunter approaching his downed buck.....

"My.....deer!.".. he pants.
"What? Like hell it's your, i just shot it." Says the hunter.
"TAG......MY........TAG! "....and points to the marker.

The hunter examines the tag, turns and stares at the young boy and declares " if you are man enough to tag it then run it down with a knife, that deer is yours!"

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

Good advice^^^^^^^^

Or Texas....an exotic might be fun for starters....or just blast a few pigs...they have plenty of predators too....

What they both said. Hog hunts in Texas can be a big bang for the buck, plus you might be able to work in a javelina.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If you want to try exotics, check out Mulie Mikes WTHO (West Texas Hunt Organization). Took my son on one of his management buck hunts and was very satisfied. He listed some axis hunts recently.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Your 9 year old can't get a tag in Wyoming.

Montana he can get a tag at age ten but IF I'm reading the regs right he can't put in for a draw. That limits him to the $505 youth tag and he can only fill the deer tag portion not the elk tag portion.

If he's just going along without a tag I'd take him on any hunt.

Dink

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by DINK
Your 9 year old can't get a tag in Wyoming.

Or Colorado for big game.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'd go without the lad the first time around, in case it turns out to be a Charlie Foxtrot.

Axis would be a fun hunt, especially if you get out a blind and still hunt those barking bastards.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Your boy has been attending public indoctrination for several years. Hes probably been indoctrinated at home from tv time as to be somewhat antipathetic towards guns and hunting.

Has he developed the desire to hunt by going with you or spent time around others who hunt and have presented it in a positive light?

Has he killed sparrows with a bb gun? Does he like to watch hunting shows on tv?

Ive seen kids drug of to sit in a deer stand for 3 boring hours never want to go again. Ive seen kids who were taught to shoot and sat in a stand and shoot a big buck as their first game and be completely turned off to hunting while guys there were high fiving and back slapping over what a great job he did while the kid is wondering wtf or even unhappy he killed an animal. Things like that have ended hunting for many.

Have you taken him hunting/camping where he has developed an appreciation for the outdoors?

I started those things as a 5 year old with dad and did it more as i got older with cousins, uncles and grandad. First time i was going deer hunting with dad i was 7 and dont think i got to sleep half the night due to the excitement, but i had been around uncles and heard the stories.

At age 4 I had watched the really big birds out my bedroom window even younger and wanted to get my hands on them real bad. I later would learn they were doves and quail that fall when dad had me as a retriever around the dirt tank he hunted over.

By the time i was 8 i was much deeper into hunting than "expressing an interest".

We moved to a ranch from town when i was 6. I was not happy to see vaqueros slit the throat of their dinner kid goat, or slaughter hogs. Glad i had been around grandad popping young roosters that ran loose on his farm in the head with a 22 or shooting jacks to feed the dogs.

I would not take a youngster on a long drawn out hunt as a first event. I have hear of kids getting very homesick and miserable. I even start pointer pups on very short trips afield until they become interested in the field and develop their desire.
If its something you really like then take your time. See what he wants to do.

Last edited by jaguartx; 01/15/17.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

470 members (160user, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 163bc, 39 invisible), 2,127 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,762
Posts18,476,578
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.