Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
I turned on one of the big 3 other am after a late night FB game. I watched a few minutes of a program about exceptional kids. Gurl was a local hero about 14, for developing an internet community espousing all animals should be free and not owned and used by man. A vegan. All her friends and teachers feel she will someday be pres of course.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jaguartx
I turned on one of the big 3 other am after a late night FB game. I watched a few minutes of a program about exceptional kids. Gurl was a local hero about 14, for developing an internet community espousing all animals should be free and not owned and used by man. A vegan. All her friends and teachers feel she will someday be pres of course.

We just now are getting rid of a president like that.

He's a little girl too.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Nobody knows your 9 year old as well as you. The antelope hunt, and early season cow elk have high likelihood of moderate weather.
It will be an adventure, and a learning experience for both of you.
Take him, he will remember it for the rest of his life.

MOLON LABE
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Your boy has been attending public indoctrination for several years. Hes probably been indoctrinated at home from tv time as to be somewhat antipathetic towards guns and hunting.

Has he developed the desire to hunt by going with you or spent time around others who hunt and have presented it in a positive light?

Has he killed sparrows with a bb gun? Does he like to watch hunting shows on tv?

Ive seen kids drug of to sit in a deer stand for 3 boring hours never want to go again. Ive seen kids who were taught to shoot and sat in a stand and shoot a big buck as their first game and be completely turned off to hunting while guys there were high fiving and back slapping over what a great job he did while the kid is wondering wtf or even unhappy he killed an animal. Things like that have ended hunting for many.

Have you taken him hunting/camping where he has developed an appreciation for the outdoors?

I started those things as a 5 year old with dad and did it more as i got older with cousins, uncles and grandad. First time i was going deer hunting with dad i was 7 and dont think i got to sleep half the night due to the excitement, but i had been around uncles and heard the stories.

At age 4 I had watched the really big birds out my bedroom window even younger and wanted to get my hands on them real bad. I later would learn they were doves and quail that fall when dad had me as a retriever around the dirt tank he hunted over.

By the time i was 8 i was much deeper into hunting than "expressing an interest".

We moved to a ranch from town when i was 6. I was not happy to see vaqueros slit the throat of their dinner kid goat, or slaughter hogs. Glad i had been around grandad popping young roosters that ran loose on his farm in the head with a 22 or shooting jacks to feed the dogs.

I would not take a youngster on a long drawn out hunt as a first event. I have hear of kids getting very homesick and miserable. I even start pointer pups on very short trips afield until they become interested in the field and develop their desire.
If its something you really like then take your time. See what he wants to do.

He took his 1st whitetail back in October 2015 off our farm at age 8 during the Youth Firearm season ... and he's been along with me for some of my more memorable hunts. I do not force hunting on him and he still likes to do things most 9yr old kids typically do. Like playing video games or war in the house with his nerf guns.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

... he can get bored with hunting quickly if not kept entertained. No different than most at his age I'd think.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your boy has been attending public indoctrination for several years. Hes probably been indoctrinated at home from tv time as to be somewhat antipathetic towards guns and hunting.

Has he developed the desire to hunt by going with you or spent time around others who hunt and have presented it in a positive light?

Has he killed sparrows with a bb gun? Does he like to watch hunting shows on tv?

Ive seen kids drug of to sit in a deer stand for 3 boring hours never want to go again. Ive seen kids who were taught to shoot and sat in a stand and shoot a big buck as their first game and be completely turned off to hunting while guys there were high fiving and back slapping over what a great job he did while the kid is wondering wtf or even unhappy he killed an animal. Things like that have ended hunting for many.

Have you taken him hunting/camping where he has developed an appreciation for the outdoors?

I started those things as a 5 year old with dad and did it more as i got older with cousins, uncles and grandad. First time i was going deer hunting with dad i was 7 and dont think i got to sleep half the night due to the excitement, but i had been around uncles and heard the stories.

At age 4 I had watched the really big birds out my bedroom window even younger and wanted to get my hands on them real bad. I later would learn they were doves and quail that fall when dad had me as a retriever around the dirt tank he hunted over.

By the time i was 8 i was much deeper into hunting than "expressing an interest".

We moved to a ranch from town when i was 6. I was not happy to see vaqueros slit the throat of their dinner kid goat, or slaughter hogs. Glad i had been around grandad popping young roosters that ran loose on his farm in the head with a 22 or shooting jacks to feed the dogs.

I would not take a youngster on a long drawn out hunt as a first event. I have hear of kids getting very homesick and miserable. I even start pointer pups on very short trips afield until they become interested in the field and develop their desire.

Some really good advice here.

[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RickyBobby

He took his 1st whitetail back in October 2015 off our farm at age 8 during the Youth Firearm season ... and he's been along with me for some of my more memorable hunts. I do not force hunting on him and he still likes to do things most 9yr old kids typically do. Like playing video games or war in the house with his nerf guns.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

... he can get bored with hunting quickly if not kept entertained. No different than most at his age I'd think.

Great photo. Looks like he is having the time of his life there!

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It's my understanding that Illinois is a shotgun state? Does this mean for game animals only, or do they allow rifle hunting for coyotes? It would be good for you and your son to get plenty of rifle practice on varmints or targets with a view toward chasing antelope.
Happy Hunting

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Don't take the kid. Either team up with somebody with a clue, or go on a guided or semi/guided trip the first time.

Be realistic about your abilities both physical and mental, as well as your experience. No shame in starting at the bottom and hiring a guide for the first go around to shorten the learning curve.

When you get good, start hauling the kid. Having a kid in tow isn't the time to be figuring things out.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by StrayDog
It's my understanding that Illinois is a shotgun state? Does this mean for game animals only, or do they allow rifle hunting for coyotes? It would be good for you and your son to get plenty of rifle practice on varmints or targets with a view toward chasing antelope.
Happy Hunting

Shotgun for everything except coyotes.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Texas and Oklahoma are seriously over run with feral hogs, these areas really need your help. The reason they are over populated is because ranchers were trying to get high prices for hunting them, but now some land owners just want them controlled. Independence Ranch for example has free hog hunts.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
What would you like to hunt?

I recommend looking at Arizona Coues Deer (later season, nicer weather) or antelope.

What about Texas exotics?

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Calvin
Don't take the kid. Either team up with somebody with a clue, or go on a guided or semi/guided trip the first time.

Be realistic about your abilities both physical and mental, as well as your experience. No shame in starting at the bottom and hiring a guide for the first go around to shorten the learning curve.

When you get good, start hauling the kid. Having a kid in tow isn't the time to be figuring things out.

Exactly. Adults don't like Charlie Foxtrots, kids most certainly do not.

Best to get sheit worked out a time or two before dragging the kid along

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RB,

I'd start with determining an animal I'd be interested in pursuing, then narrow it down from there.

And, food for thought - rather than bringing the lad, I'd work out the kinks that come with a first out-of-state hunt, learn the ropes a bit, then include him down the line.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
If I offended anyone for using the word "chased" when describing my past hunting experiences, I sincerely apologize ... sometimes I forget how easily everyone is offended in this day and age. Painting a horrific picture of us as "hunters" was not my intention. Please accept my apologies.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My wife's grandma (born 1882) and my grandma both asked me if I had "caught" a deer--had to think about for a second the first time I heard it.

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by dale06
Antelope
Reasonably priced
Unique and beautiful animal
Success rate near 100%
Physical requirements are low
Have done it many times with rifle and bow and really enjoyed
Oh, and I think the meat is excellent, if you get a quick kill and cool it properly.
Antelope season here is in Sept when it's usually hot. The meat is excellent but it MUST be properly cared for. When it's 80F, that can be a trick. You have to be prepared with large coolers and lots of ice.

About antelope: if you want to save the hide, DON'T DRAG IT. Their hair can be pulled out by hand. Dragging it even a short distance will leave bare patches. I don't know how it holds up after tanning.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
If I offended anyone for using the word "chased" when describing my past hunting experiences, I sincerely apologize ... sometimes I forget how easily everyone is offended in this day and age. Painting a horrific picture of us as "hunters" was not my intention. Please accept my apologies.
LOL! laugh

If I understand correctly neither have you hunted out of state nor have you hunted with your son on over-night trips?

I think those recommending simple steps up are on the right path. The fact your son has enjoyed hunting is great. A "big hunt" could be a few things and with young people I really like bird hunting as a first over-nighter or extended trip. A bird hunt in the Dakotas would be a blast, keep his attention, and isn't as serious of an endeavor. I've spent many hours walking with my boys behind dogs, shotgun broken open over my arm having conversations, and coaching quietly. They still talk about the great times to this day.

A big complicated hunt with the potential for foul weather and miserable conditions can be pretty discouraging early on.

Just my opinion based on raising three boys. Oldest loves to shoot but not hunt. I came on the scene a little late. Younger two started messing around in the field with me very young, shooting at four, hunting as it became legal. Both are very comfortable way out, and love to hunt. The youngest more so than the middle. Some personalities will just affect how they take to it.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Hancock27
What would you like to hunt?

I recommend looking at Arizona Coues Deer (later season, nicer weather) or antelope.

What about Texas exotics?

Coues Deer sounds fun! Never would have gave that a thought. Approach would probably be similar to what I do here with our whitetails. Might have to ponder on this a bit. Otherwise, I'm liking the antelope too.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
What distances would I need to expect to be shooting at antelope on a Wyoming antelope hunt?

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Out to 300 yds.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

106 members (7887mm08, 35, 44mc, 7x57Hunter, Algotguns, Akhutr, 6 invisible), 1,455 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,417
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.