Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Sam, Everybody wants to be a cowboy till its time to do cowboy [bleep] !!!!!!!!!!!

Fourth Generation Border Rat
GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Great report, lots of useful info. You don't know what works or fails until you experience it yourself. Last Saturday I was shooting w/ friends in mild temps of about 20*. I was wearing light gloves and twice had the tip of a finger catch in the magwell of my Glock.

We keep postponing our trip to Salmon until daytime temps reach the 20s.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman

I've switched to 0-20 synthetic motor oil, so far it's works down to -20 and works good in warmer temps. CLP is too thin other than keeping a coat in the barrel and not so great on the BCG in warmer temps. I think LAW is only good to +30F.

I've been using motor oil on my pistols and AR as well now that you mention it and I haven't had anything seize yet.

I had a brief affair with Fireclean and Froglube but went back to motor oil. No complaints.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by SamOlson
'Cool' pics Mackay, and uber Toyota!

It's been a real winter here in eastern MT as well.

A little more snow than normal and chilly.

Average daily temp so far this year is -3F.

We lost power to part of the cow farm this past week and had to use a Honda generator to get waterers and a 40 year old IH tractor thawed out.

-22F and -18F on two different mornings and with less than a half dozen pulls it started right up.

Hydraulics are SLOW to get moving and I'm getting tired of chopping ice... Gonna have to sharpen the axe, 7-8" of ice made every night.

Dumb question I know... if it takes a bit of work with that much ice, wouldn't a small chain saw be easier? Until so cold that chains would shatter?

I will use a chain saw to occasionally make a new hole(+2 feet ice) but it's way easier for everyday use to pack an axe in the pickup(regular cab) compared to a stinky saw. Good exercise anyway, depending on the temp it takes about 100 good swings to reopen a 1x3 foot hole.
And if it snows a little at night there is always way less ice in the morning. Snow is an uber good insulator.

Chains won't shatter but they will ice up quick when they get wet(do not stop until you're done..). And don't break through to water until you're just about done or it can be messy!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by azrancher
Sam, Everybody wants to be a cowboy till its time to do cowboy [bleep] !!!!!!!!!!!

AZ, the 'romance' disappears real quick!

But we're spoiled now.

Super warm heaters in the F350's and round bales....

When my brother and I were young we caught the tail end of the small square bale era. Now that was work, and real fun in a blizzard!

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by kingston
What's the story on those rims? Are they OEM?

Nope, the OEMs were rusty. These are 17" aftermarket jobs.

That said, I kinda wish I had sandblasted the old original ones and painted them. These steel ones are heavy, and the 17" tires cost a fair bit more than 15", though I do like the additional height.

They look good. They'd look real good on my FJ-40.

I'm surprised to hear they're steel, they look like Aluminum.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
'Cool' pics Mackay, and uber Toyota!

It's been a real winter here in eastern MT as well.

A little more snow than normal and chilly.

Average daily temp so far this year is -3F.

We lost power to part of the cow farm this past week and had to use a Honda generator to get waterers and a 40 year old IH tractor thawed out.

-22F and -18F on two different mornings and with less than a half dozen pulls it started right up.

Hydraulics are SLOW to get moving and I'm getting tired of chopping ice... Gonna have to sharpen the axe, 7-8" of ice made every night.

Dumb question I know... if it takes a bit of work with that much ice, wouldn't a small chain saw be easier? Until so cold that chains would shatter?

I will use a chain saw to occasionally make a new hole(+2 feet ice) but it's way easier for everyday use to pack an axe in the pickup(regular cab) compared to a stinky saw. Good exercise anyway, depending on the temp it takes about 100 good swings to reopen a 1x3 foot hole.
And if it snows a little at night there is always way less ice in the morning. Snow is an uber good insulator.

Chains won't shatter but they will ice up quick when they get wet(do not stop until you're done..). And don't break through to water until you're just about done or it can be messy!

A buddy clears trail for the iditarod... says chains shatter awful easy at some certain temp so they just shut down the maintenance if it gets that cold.

Thanks for the info. Was just wondering. Can only imagine what happens with a saw when you finally get to the water.... I know what happens here when we cut stuff under water on rescue stuff in a hurry...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
A buddy clears trail for the iditarod... says chains shatter awful easy at some certain temp so they just shut down the maintenance if it gets that cold.

Sorry Jeff.

I've run one down to -40 to -50 in Fbx. Never shattered a chain. In fact never even heard of it until this thread.

That sounds like a Reality TV statement.

ETA:
After a minute of idle, the chain should be plenty warm to not be stressed. At those temps they will stretch a lot when warm and if the bar is not not loosened when done, the chain will tighten enough that they could break.

Last edited by ironbender; 01/15/17.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
ironbender;
Good evening to you sir, I hope this finds you and your fine family doing well.

We used to cut firewood on stupid cold days back in my Saskatchewan days and I don't recall ever having any chain breaks either.

That said, one did want to use winter bar oil for sure - stripped the plastic oiler drive gear out of my Pioneer saw running too heavy a viscosity oil.

Can I use the term "running" or not? wink grin

True story, a buddy picked up my present Husky chainsaw from a pawn shop in Alberta - so no user's manual. I'd used it for a few days in summer and couldn't figure out why my left hand was always so hot using it. Eventually I looked up a manual online and found that of all things it's equipped with a bar heater.... who knew?

There is a switch for it, but it wasn't marked for function or even on/off - but it IS now! laugh

All the best to you all this year ironbender.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Cool story Dwayne!

HNY to you folks.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I spent 18 months at a Missile base outside of Anchorage in the middle 1970's. We were at 4000 feet above see level and our biggest issue was the wind. On a really cold day or night the wind played hell with us walking around a Missile section "guarding" it.

http://nikealaska.org/summit/SiteSUMMIT.html

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lost a deer one time using a borrowed .243. 3 different rounds just lite primer strikes due to oil making firing pin movement sluggish

Cold weather takes different equip and skill sets

Bitter cold is related to Murphy and is an unforgiving beatch

She'll bite you if you give her an opening

Last edited by 2legit2quit; 01/15/17.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Back in my younger days one of our annual winter projects was cutting ice off the lake and stacking it in the ice house. We used layers of sawdust for insulation between the blocks,by the time we got to the bottom layer it would usually be mid-August and at least half of the original block would still be there. We always used chain saws to cut it with - never a problem with breaking chains. A heck of lot of work though.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by drover
Originally Posted by 340boy
One of the NOAA stations near Stanley reported 43 below zero *F last Friday early AM. I'd post a pic but this site and Photobucket aren't working too well for me lately. :grrrr:

Minus 31 F. in N Custer county this morning at 8 a.m., looks like it is a new record for this date since the site I looked at shows that the previous record was minus 17 F. back in 1947. Our average for this time of year is 12 F.

Darned global warming anyway.

drover

Drover,
I can believe it! I wish I could find exactly where in the Stanley area the station is located-the one that reported 43 below zero?

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ironbender

Sorry Jeff.

I've run one down to -40 to -50 in Fbx. Never shattered a chain. In fact never even heard of it until this thread.

That sounds like a Reality TV statement.

ETA:
After a minute of idle, the chain should be plenty warm to not be stressed. At those temps they will stretch a lot when warm and if the bar is not not loosened when done, the chain will tighten enough that they could break.

Could well be, I trust spencer ,but then again I don't recall if they actually shattered them, or were told to quit before it happened. I believe it was close to -50/60 at the time.

I'll have to get on him now, seems like a cheap way out of working, eh, boss, the saw will shatter... LOL.

I know it dang sure won't down here, not in our friggin 85 degree temps lately...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
One of the NOAA stations near Stanley reported 43 below zero *F last Friday early AM. I'd post a pic but this site and Photobucket aren't working too well for me lately. :grrrr:

Gotta Love Stanley!

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M

Minus 31 F. in N Custer county this morning at 8 a.m., looks like it is a new record for this date since the site I looked at shows that the previous record was minus 17 F. back in 1947. Our average for this time of year is 12 F.

drover

In spite of those temps, if I could convince the bride to move to Challis or Salmon, I would do it in a heartbeat!

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

drover

In spite of those temps, if I could convince the bride to move to Challis or Salmon, I would do it in a heartbeat!

I hear ya. If I could swing it, Challis/Salmon or even Stanley would suit me fine. cool

EDIT: I just bought a nice down bag rated to -40*F and I am itching to go up that way and try it out. Stay cold, dang it, stay cold!
laugh

Last edited by 340boy; 01/16/17.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Bic lighter in the pocket to heat up a key is a smart move!

I never got anything hot with a Bic lighter, other than the hand I was using to shield the wind with. I know that people love them, but not me. A Zippo will work,in the wind.

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by White_Bear
I woke up to -30* on Friday (I think). These are actual temps and not windchill temps. It was cold but life goes on. I don't mind the cold if it's not windy. I dropped my Polaris Widetrak snowmobile in the water a few days back. -15* and water just past my knees made for a cold trek back home. I was glad to get that heavy pig out before if froze in for the winter.

30 below is getting down right nippley!

My motivation for outdoor tasks seems to end at -20, other than grabbing another arm load of firewood. I've been in -45 ambient, just no fun and have been in -30 ambient with the wind chill dropping it to -90 and I understand why the native peoples have multiple names for cold. You can also appreciate that extreme cold is a palpable dangerous force not to be trifled with.

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 1337Fungi, 160user, 1badf350, 53 invisible), 2,210 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,767
Posts18,476,729
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.