Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
A lightweight Bushmaster,..the QRC.

It's just bare bones and comes in at just a hint under 6 lbs. I haven't got any optics on it yet so I haven't shot it, but I'm impressed with it's fit and finish considering that it's a base model. There's no grittyness in the bolt and the trigger was a nice surprise. It's not particularly light, but it breaks very clean.

The collapesable buttstock is a bit loose, but I never much liked them anyway. One of the very few changes I intend to do to it is put an Ace skeletal buttstock on it,..which will drop a few ounces of weight and provide a more rigid shoulder point. The Ace also comes with an optional 1" butt pad which should make the LOP more proper for my long arms.

Like I said,..it's just a toy. Except for the stock and a scope I'm going to leave it just like it is,..no geegaws. I want to see how well one of these ultralight AR-15 carbines can shoot.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not a black rifle guy but I like the working mans rifle theme....

Good snag......

I just did something similar with a Tikka Hunter in 222....($499 +$25 shipping)
I'm a born tinkerer but I ain't gonna spend one thin dime on do-dads for this one.....

[Linked Image]

Last edited by FieldGrade; 01/16/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very nice, are the AR prices falling? I so want one, bare bones.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They're fun

You can go thru a passel of .223 and grin the whole time

Caution tho B. You may get where you prefer the lightweight of tha ar vs the fal

You've been warned

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Nice toy.

IC B2

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Bud has these for $589. The only one lower priced at his store is the DPMS Oracle,..and to tell you the truth I went there to buy the DPMS, but paid a few bucks extra for the Bushy. I doubt that there's enough difference to matter between the two. I just bought the Bushy because it didn't have the railed gas block like the DPMS and I wanted to go as absolutely light as possible.

Somebody who wanted the option of installing a front sight should get the DPMS. But I'm going with a scope.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Caution tho B. You may get where you prefer the lightweight of tha ar vs the fal

lol,..

The FAL's started getting heavy a while ago. I still like them, but I don't want to have to lug one very far.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good For You! Good way to start 2017.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
I'm not a black rifle guy but I like the working mans rifle theme....

Good snag......

I just did something similar with a Tikka Hunter in 222....($499 +$25 shipping)
I'm a born tinkerer but I ain't gonna spend one thin dime on do-dads for this one.....

[Linked Image]

I'll bet that's a shooter. Everything I've heard about Tikkas say they're accurate and the .222 has a very long reputation for accuracy.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I want to see how well one of these ultralight AR-15 carbines can shoot.

Got one that shoots about an inch at 100 yards. Stock unit, right out of the box.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
I think the quality of the barrel will be the main factor,..as it usually is. I wonder if Bushmaster rolled their own barrels for this model of if they contracted out for the barrels?

I've read that many base model AR rifles use Green Mountain barrels.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Those are really good for pigs. Wonder what the price would be if Hillie had been elected??

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
You can beat that price at PSA. I put together a PSA Freedom upper with a pencil melonite barrel, Magpul furniture, and blemished lower for about $500. It is around 6 pounds or less and shoots with the typical stupid good AR 15 accuracy of around an inch.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by JoeBob
pencil melonite barrel,

That's what this model has, but I'm not sure of the maker. I looked on Green Mountain's webpage and they do indeed manufacture a lot of AR barrels in various configurations, But they don't show any in ultralight configuration.

Of course that doesn't mean that Green Mountain didn't turn out a batch to go on the QRCs.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have the same AR. I bought it back in August or September and I paid right around $580 for it.

I like it, I'm sure you will too.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Every time I think I want one, I talk myself out of it. A buddy of mine has two, and I can shoot one whenever I want, I just don't want one enough to buy one of my own.

His is an "okay" shooter (DPMS upper and lower, mid-length gas furniture, ACE stock, some other gadgets). The other one is a Rock River Varminter, which shoots better than most boltguns.

But every time I go to buy one, some boltgun or levergun catches my eye, and I forget about the ARs pretty quick.

I hate chasing brass anyway.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Every time I think I want one, I talk myself out of it. A buddy of mine has two, and I can shoot one whenever I want, I just don't want one enough to buy one of my own.

The prices on them got too low for me to ignore.

I built a basic A2 heavy barrel AR from a kit about 15 years ago and had a bit over $600 in it. It was quite a shooter but it was too heavy for a .223. I played with it for a while then sold it for about what I had in it. I always thought that if I got another one it would be a leightweight model.

Now, you can buy a new one off the rack for less than what it cost to assemble your own 15 years ago.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by JoeBob
pencil melonite barrel,

That's what this model has, but I'm not sure of the maker. I looked on Green Mountain's webpage and they do indeed manufacture a lot of AR barrels in various configurations, But they don't show any in ultralight configuration.

Of course that doesn't mean that Green Mountain didn't turn out a batch to go on the QRCs.

I'm not a big AR guy but they are pretty nice when they don't have M-4 contour barrels and a bunch of semi-useless crap hung all over them.

Last edited by JoeBob; 01/16/17.
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
I don't like the M4 contour barrels either. Something about that ring cut around the middle of them just doesn't look right to me. I also don't like that big ass front sight on a flat top AR.

If you're going to mount a scope, that front sight gets in the way of your line of sight.

Both of those things are what steered me towards the Bushmaster QRC,...no M4 barrel,...no front sight,...and, light weight, of course.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nice snag B.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 66 invisible), 2,422 guests, and 1,418 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,168
Posts18,484,544
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.