Print Thread
Hop To
G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
is it the same as headcheese, or different? my Grandmom made sousemeat, but might have been headcheese. it was good, cold and with crackers. and made w/hog of course.

anybody know anything about it, and where to start, and how best to proceed? black pepper is an ingredient as i recall.

and later, i'll ask about bologna. but i'm thinking they're two separate things totally.

and head cheese, that too. need some knowledgeable and soulful input here.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I haven't dealt with either souse or headcheese in a long,long time, but as I remember from my youth, souse had some sort of vegetable (pickle, green and red pepper?) ingredient, while headcheese did not.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I love souse. It is basically pickled head cheese.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
would you please be willing to share more, as memory serves?\

i remember souse meat. it happened, and i ate it, after a fresh hog kill in late november, into early january depending upon which hog.

sousemeat was der riguour, i'm thinking.

based upon refreshment on the 'net, and individual remembrance, surely we can re-construct a possible likely edible product?

now headcheese, and far out there, some bologna who knows? but to fill in the gaps would be helpful.

the old-timers w/ties to the past will probably have all the details down pat. does vinegar play a role, or is that just a diversion?

G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
the more i think about it, the more i think red apple cider vinegar played a role, at least in my memory of the 'lost' days.

but, maybe not, maybe i'm confused?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gus
maybe i'm confused?

That would be a BINGO !!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Souse is pickled head cheese.
Head and feet meet, cooked til it falls off bones, with onion garlic salt and pepper, chop meat, and, in the case of souse, red wine or cider vinegar, and reduce liquid.
Fill loaf pan with meat, cover with reduced cooking liquid, refrigerate till set.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Forgot to add, a lot pf people like to add sage. That is not my preference.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Sorry Gus, we never made it ourselves when we butchered hogs. After removing the jowls the remainder of the head was used to make mincemeat for pies.

Vinegar is used in the pickling process to make souse.

I suggest you look to German (sulze) or Czech (sulc) for recipe inspiration.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by mcmurphrjk
Souse is pickled head cheese.
Head and feet meet, cooked til it falls off bones, with onion garlic salt and pepper, chop meat, and, in the case of souse, red wine or cider vinegar, and reduce liquid.
Fill loaf pan with meat, cover with reduced cooking liquid, refrigerate till set.

thanks for everyone's input. it all helped. yes, i knew there was vinegar or something sour in it. this sounds about right. i've seen it made, and eaten it, but too young to get the details.

it was good, not at all like the rest of the hog.

so, it's German or Czech ancestry huh? interesting right there too.

seems like some years it came out thicker, that is firmer/harder than other years. may have had to do with the liquid content or maybe the gelatin content from the feet. it's a good product, just don't see it around much, and i was reminiscing a bit when reading the other threads here.

if anybody ever makes any, i'd love to see a pic of it posted up.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (007FJ, 1234, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,713 guests, and 1,364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,460
Posts18,471,276
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.