Print Thread
Hop To
#11720412 01/08/17
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I have a couple of knives that I need some help with. Years ago I had at work who told me that he was building knives and was looking for business. I had some nice ironwood that I offered up and asked him to build me a couple of drop point general hunting-skinning knives. What I got back looked OK at a distance but the finished product is not something that I would be proud of. The contour of the grips has numerous 'flats' instead of being smooth and ripple free. There are a few grinding marks still visible and I had asked for a brushed finish on the steel and not a high-buff 'gloss'.

I am not a knife collector but being a stock smith for over forty years I do have a great appreciation for the metallurgy knowledge, art and precision it takes to turn out the wonderful knives I've seen. So I do not want to insult anyone with my request: Is there any one out there who could take these knives and finish them properly? I realize that you have to live with what I send and that they are not the materials or initial quality of build that you would do yourself, I just want to have something useful with better esthetics than they have now.

I would appreciate PM's with advice or cost proposal for what I am asking. Thanks and happy new year to all.

Respectfully,

P-Man

Attached Images
IMG_knives (120x120).jpg (88.17 KB, 106 downloads)

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you would like, i could put you in touch with an excellent blacksmith and knife maker. I have a few of his works.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
P-Man
Are you looking to have the handles worked on also, or being a stock smith are you going to do that???
A pic would help.
I would suggest possibly touch up the blade on belt sander, then bead blast, and then hit it with the scotch brite belt.
Should then have a light matte finish.
P.M. if I can help.
http://s114.photobucket.com/user/tolt29/library/?sort=3&page=1
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
MRK, I should have mentioned that there is a photo in the original post. I was looking for someone to finish the handles and blades - the complete knife. I do not have a small belt sander - I do plan on getting a Ken Onion Work Sharp sys but wanted to get feedback on that product first, but that's a whole other discussion in itself.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Sorry, I overlooked the pic posted. I only get a pic the size of a postage stamp when I click on it, but get the idea.

If you want me to do the work, send a pm to me please.
If you have a not to exceed cost, it would be a good place to start.

As far as the Work Sharp not sure what you expect to get from it, but I would not expect to do much knife work other than sharpening.
Be sure you want/need the extra bells and whistle on the Onion model. The basic model is all most need.
The difference is the Onion has variable speed, discrete angle adjustment, a roller rest for the blade and a 3/4" belt vs a 1/2". The wider belt is the only major advantage in my estimate. Yes, I use both models and part time make belts for them.
Thanks
Tim

w

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd say just move on, and buy something better, than try to have these reworked.

Sam......

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Offshoreman
I have a couple of knives that I need some help with. Years ago I had at work who told me that he was building knives and was looking for business. I had some nice ironwood that I offered up and asked him to build me a couple of drop point general hunting-skinning knives. What I got back looked OK at a distance but the finished product is not something that I would be proud of. The contour of the grips has numerous 'flats' instead of being smooth and ripple free. There are a few grinding marks still visible and I had asked for a brushed finish on the steel and not a high-buff 'gloss'.

I am not a knife collector but being a stock smith for over forty years I do have a great appreciation for the metallurgy knowledge, art and precision it takes to turn out the wonderful knives I've seen. So I do not want to insult anyone with my request: Is there any one out there who could take these knives and finish them properly? I realize that you have to live with what I send and that they are not the materials or initial quality of build that you would do yourself, I just want to have something useful with better esthetics than they have now.

I would appreciate PM's with advice or cost proposal for what I am asking. Thanks and happy new year to all.

Respectfully,

P-Man

There was a guy named Peagler in Moncks Corner making knives 25 yrs ago, i bought 2 . Finish was not as good as my Herron but very serviceable for a hunting knife, as I don't use it at all. Just a thought, don't know where you are in SC. Since you are a wood guy do you have a pantograph?

CO School of Trades, Gunsmithing, '76
Clemson University '74
Go Tigers

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

667 members (10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 01Foreman400, 65 invisible), 3,359 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,378
Posts18,469,505
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.