Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
If the instruction is sheit,classes are hard to get into, and the procedures are dumb.......volunteer to teach a class.

I am MAGA.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Southerntier8
Originally Posted by fishdog52
I've come to believe there are anti hunter implications in the hunter safety program in NY. Safety education does not require that many hours over multiple days. Youngsters simply don't have the attention span.
Much of the BS mentioned are the result of instructors struggling to fill the required hours.
I have attended/participated in these things going back to 1965 or 66.
Here in NY, there is an equally bloated additional course required for an archery license. New for this year, a $30 charge.
In summary, no substitute for a little focused education plus some mentored real world experience and a little common sense.

I completely agree with this. I believe that the safety aspects of the sport could be taught and taught well in 7 - 8 hours, bowhunting included. An 11 year old doesn't need to know about the Pittman Robertson Act!

I can't comment on NY but the amount of time spent in class and the inclusion of the Pittman-Robertson act is a good thing in my opinion.

In CO our class is 12 hours including the written test and live fire, which is 10 rounds with a bolt action .22 LR. All we're looking for is safe firearm handling. We cover a lot of different stuff, some of which can save a life like survival and some of which (safe firearms handling) is mandatory if they're going to be handling firearms in the field. Plus small game, waterfowl, big game, how to recognize good habitat, regulations, our draw system, ethics, shot placement, field dressing, care of game in the field, and on and on.

Youngsters in our classes almost always have the required attention span. I think I've taught close to 1K students and I can't remember one not passing the test and it's 50 questions. We had an 8 year-old get 100%. If they can't pay attention for the short time we have 'em then we're either doing something wrong or you have to wonder if they're mature enough and ready to hunt.

Because it requires that they be able to manage a deadly weapon.

As far as Pittman Robertson, no, they don't need to remember the name of it, when it was passed, or the amount of the excise tax. What they do need to know is through it, license fees, and Dingell-Johnson, hunters and fishermen pay the freight for wildlife and habitat management, whereas PETA and HSUS pay zero for it.

That is invaluable information if they ever get into a discussion with an ignorant teacher or classmate who's an anti.

Originally Posted by fishdog52
Much of the BS mentioned are the result of instructors struggling to fill the required hours.

This has nothing to do with the length of the class, it just means you have crappy instructors. We can't get to all the stuff we'd like to teach, and there's no fluff in the curriculum. In fact, when we're done on the last night, lots of students stay after the class to ask questions and get advice on stuff we couldn't get to.

Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
If the instruction is sheit,classes are hard to get into, and the procedures are dumb.......volunteer to teach a class.

My sentiments exactly.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
So a bullet rises above boreline after it leaves the muzzle?

NO -- the scope is pointed down, so you are pointing the barrel up when you shoot in relation to the sight plane.

Think before you ask these things !

I ain't the one not thinking.
Time for a drink, ain't gonna get any better... lol

the scary thing is -

In gun smithing school, they taught us that a bore is never straight when it's compared to how the barrel is oriented, then demonstrated it on the lathe by putting a guide rod in it and spinning it.

THEN they told us the best smith practice is to mount the barrel indexed in a way that the bore as it leaves the rifle is pointing UP !!!

I [bleep] you not !

So ... considering we're really talking about bore alignment - nope, it goes straight.
BUT the bore is often angled up as it leaves the barrel.

Not to mention the bore to sight plane converge at the target so if your sighting in in over 200 yards the bore is pointing up to counter the 1.5" between the bore line and the sight line.

So - Yeah

Uh, Spot...I think it's time for you to put all that sh_t down and pick up your smokepole...there's hope.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
[Linked Image]

nice pitcher

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've been teaching HS for over a decade. Nearly 2K graduates so far. Things changed dramatically when the State passed a "no minimum" hunting age, where prior it was 12 years old. Now we have kids as young as 7 taking the course - and we HAVE to take all comers. The State didn't change the test or the book to accommodate these younger kids, so we took it upon ourselves to adapt the course for easier, see, touch, use sort of learning.

We do not charge a dime. We teach in a team setting with different stations so the kids get a completely "hands on" approach instead of someone reading out of a book. These 20 minute stations include: live fire shooting trap with youth Rem 11-87 20ga 7/8 oz loads, .22 rifle, .22 pistol, archery with youth Genesis bows, they learn to climb a ladder stand with a harness and Prussic, cross a fence and creek with a gun-both solo and with someone else, muzzleloader demo, some rudimentary First-Aid, how to handle a compass, watch a real deer gutting video, hear from someone who's fallen out their tree stand along with vid and xrays, hear from a Conservation Officer about the law, and hammer in the 10 Commandments of gun safety.

It all takes about 3 evenings with about 3-4 hours each. THEN, we do the comprehensive test review. We're more concerned that they apply it and do it right than a test score.

We all hope these kids turn into lifetime hunters and rifle looneys, but this is not the time or place to try and teach about ballistic coefficient and all that blather.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
On a side note, they are idiots for not at least having a pad on that 20gauge single shot.

I'd have told him, for every shot my kid has to fire, I'm punching you in the back of the head.

This.

They'll ruin a kid for life, especially the small ones. They get rocked by that recoil and they never want to shoot again. We use gas 20 gauges with light 7/8 loads. There are times as an RSO during live fire that I'm actually hanging onto the receiver for these kids to reduce weight and recoil for them. Some are simply too small and shouldn't shoot until they get a little bigger. No kid HAS to shoot in our program. WE encourage it, but don't force it.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by sse
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
[Linked Image]

nice pitcher

I can't image this question has been asked before wink

Hence da picture

Question is are you sighted in for 45 yards, or 200 - the answer is "YES"

Last edited by Spotshooter; 01/19/17.
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Last fall we had the kids lined up along the firing line to take turns shooting 10 rounds of .22 cal. Among them dad, son, middle school age, and daughter, quite a bit younger, but just a tiny little thing, not very tall skinny as a pole, cute as a bug's ear.

The boy did fine and I look over and see dad with the little girl, and he's trying to talk her into shooting, she was not enthused. Dad ended up going first and after that actually got the girl to agree. Few minutes later, I look over and there is the girl against the back wall with dad, shaking her flushed red face from side to side.

I asked dad what happened and I guess the very first shot an ejected shell went down her cowboy boot and that was it! LOL We passed her because she isn't required to shoot anyway, and she did pass the written portion. I gave her a few little shooting trinkets and a few sets of fresh ear plugs. She left with a cautious smile, but I'm not sure when she'll let her dad take her to the range again.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Having an 8 year old go through Hunter's Ed is akin to taking them shopping for their prom dress/tux.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Having an 8 year old go through Hunter's Ed is akin to taking them shopping for their prom dress/tux.

I agree completely. I am a former HS instructor, I quit when the state started making us take anyone who could walk in the door. We tried requiring parental participation for anyone under 14, but even that got shot down.

[Linked Image]
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
After siting through two Hunter Ed courses, two bowhunting ed courses and a trapper ed course with my two kids I was tempted to get certified. I didn't have time when the kids were young. My experience was the same as the OP's, I heard some interesting stuff eek. My hat is off to you gentleman here who are donating your time to teach people the right way.

Last edited by jdunham; 01/19/17.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Having an 8 year old go through Hunter's Ed is akin to taking them shopping for their prom dress/tux

Agree fully with that, but Oregon too has no minimum age requirement. If 9 or less, however, they must have an adult at their elbow throughout the course. I try to discourage the super young, unless it's a bright kid that's simply champing at the bit to get out there. I'd venture our student manual is written at about a 16 year old level, so one has to spend a lot time defining terms like projectile, discharge, anatomy, etc.

In almost every instance it's a dad that is pushing the extremely young. We do have a mentoring program where kids can go and shoot on the accompanying adults tag without having done Hunter Ed.

Kids, however, can not hunt on their own big game tag until they hit 12 years. One of my greatest frustrations is I've been trying since 1975 to pull one of Oregon's bighorn tags. I've had two 12 year old students draw with their first application. Life's just not fair.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/19/17.

1Minute
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

You would expect hunters education to teach people about 20 MOA rails, which point the scope down so you can still zero your scope.

Heck for that, there are plenty of normal hunters that don't know which way sight planes work anyway.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 60 invisible), 2,495 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,592
Posts18,492,149
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.