-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used 223 on deer quite a bit , never used a dedicated deer bullet. Mostly 50 gr Vmax over benchmark. Also started my daughters out with an AR and that load . In my experience from 20 to a bit less than 300 yds it's a good round. Bullet placement through the lungs/heart or obviously head / neck shots give pretty good results. I've shot around 25-30 deer with it and haven't lost any or had any long tracking jobs. If I were using it as a dedicated deer gun I probably would pick a tougher bullet like the 64 gr or various other bullets . Good luck , just remember they won't leave a blood trail like a .30.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by centershot
I have been around long enough and shot enough deer to know that a shot with a bullet that light would need to be broadside at reasonable range.

Life and death don't back up this statement. My life the deer's death. The first deer I killed with a .223 was ranged 222 yards. A Nosler 60 grain solid base entered at the top of the sternum and exited in front of the diaphragm. The deer dropped at the shot and didn't even quiver.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Was very impressed with results I saw personally on deer this year with Remington hyper velocity bonded ammo. That being said I think 300 is a long poke and with margin of error built in I would want a little more thump than the 223 delivers. On the smallish WT buck my son shot this year it broke both shoulders and exited. Shot was inside 80 yards.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Not trolling - and did see a 223AI Thread that was miles long. Had trouble determining if that was even serious as there are so many smart ass remarks. Seems to be a common theme where the .223 is mentioned as deer worthy.

I am/was in the camp of the .223 being too small, but never having tried it myself, wanted to ask the question. I have been around long enough and shot enough deer to know that a shot with a bullet that light would need to be broadside at reasonable range.

The reason I ask is that I have always wanted a M70 Featherweight (prefer .308) but saw one in .223 at a local shop. I'm trying to justify it to myself and if I could add it as a legit deer killer, well that may just be the tipping point.

I would get that gun and enjoy it more than the 308, as i would be shooting deer with a hornady 60 gr interlock, nosler p, or barnes, but i would also use it on hogs and coyotes and ravens and such. I wish i had that gun.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Probably a 1-14 twist and no good for the heavier or solid copper bullets. I would not buy it unless I was going to rebarrel.

Last edited by jimmyp; 01/19/17.

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by mathman
The possible problem is the slow factory twist. It will limit your options bullet wise.

Yup, a 53 grain tsx worked here

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No doubt it will kill deer, but not a great choice for that role compared to something a bit bigger. Why limit yourself? Also, is it legal in your state? I bought a .223, thinking to use it for predators and some doe hunting, but have since started hunting in a bordering state that only allows .23 (?) caliber and larger for deer.

On the other hand, if you really like the rifle, that alone is a good reason to buy it. Figger the rest out later.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I had a model 70 featherweight in .223. Factory twist was 1-12 as was standard for the .223 at the time. Lots of good deer capable bullets that will stabilize in a 12 twist including 50 gr. Barnes TTSX, 53 and 55 gr. Barnes TSX, 50 and 55 gr. Hornady GMX, 64 gr. Winchester power point, 60 gr. Nosler partition and 64 gr. Nosler bonded performance.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I shot one deer with the 223. Small buck, 45gr TSX. Hit rib going in and out. Lodged under skin on off side. Deer went about 50 yards. Lungs pretty mushed up.
I would think something heavier would be better choice for deer.
My #3 likes 40 and 45 grainers, so that is what I used and I will reserve it for varmints in the future.
jmho
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
You can kill deer with them,but it wouldn't be my top choice for a dedicated 200-300 yard mule deer gun.

Agreed, why I'm asking about experiences from guys that have actually used the .223Rem. on deer. It would not be a dedicated mule deer gun - more of a multi purpose varmint, coyote and possible deer gun.

I think the 55 grn TTSX or the factory loaded 62 grn Federal Fusion would likely shoot well in that stock Winchester.

The bad thing about it is that it will work but would be less than ideal on anything except perfect shot opportunities. In my experience when I am hunting with a gun like that I'm likely to see the trophy of a lifetime only offering me a Texas heart shot.It's a shot I wouldn't think twice about with my 7 mag or 270 and good bonded or Barnes bullets.

The fact is that you can kill the snot out of deer with just a 22 lr if you always place the bullet well.I don't rely on enough gun to make up for poor shot placement but I've often needed something that would leave no doubt about penetration when offered a hard angle shot.

I would hunt the 223 but only knowing that there might be shots I would have to pass up that I wouldn't hesitate on with a different caliber.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
buy it and have fun. a 223 is a super fun and easy to load for round.
there are lots of bullets that will kill deer well and work in the slow twist guns. Just hit them where you are supposed to. no need to over think it

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You can kill deer with them,but it wouldn't be my top choice for a dedicated 200-300 yard mule deer gun.

Agreed, why I'm asking about experiences from guys that have actually used the .223Rem. on deer. It would not be a dedicated mule deer gun - more of a multi purpose varmint, coyote and possible deer gun.

I think the 55 grn TTSX or the factory loaded 62 grn Federal Fusion would likely shoot well in that stock Winchester.

The bad thing about it is that it will work but would be less than ideal on anything except perfect shot opportunities. In my experience when I am hunting with a gun like that I'm likely to see the trophy of a lifetime only offering me a Texas heart shot.It's a shot I wouldn't think twice about with my 7 mag or 270 and good bonded or Barnes bullets.

The fact is that you can kill the snot out of deer with just a 22 lr if you always place the bullet well.I don't rely on enough gun to make up for poor shot placement but I've often needed something that would leave no doubt about penetration when offered a hard angle shot.

I would hunt the 223 but only knowing that there might be shots I would have to pass up that I wouldn't hesitate on with a different caliber.

You don't believe a Barnes out of a 223 will break a deer pelvis?

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I find it interesting that many argue the merits of the .223 as a deer round but never talk about any short comings.
The short comings are it's small wound channel and less damage than is made by larger bullets.
This doesn't matter if it shot is placed in the forward half of the chest cavity where it penetrates both lungs and lots of blood vessels. The buck isn't going far.
But how about the shots that go bad and hit something that doesn't bleed nearly as much ? Think a .22 caliber bullet will make as large a wound channel as a 7mm - .308 bullet of like construction and velocity ?
One doesn't hear much about fast .270 or '06' bullets that expand rapidly killing quickly with a hit behind the diaphragm. But Jack O'Connor used to write about such things.
I'm not saying this happens much on really big, tough animals, but it does on deer.
John Wooters, in his great book, Hunting Throphy Deer discussed the fact that one rarely gets the time to carefully place his shots on big, old bucks. For that job one needs extra killing ability. That's why he recommended cartriages between .26-.30 caliber pusing bullets between 130-150 grs. in weight between 2800-3000 fps. E

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T

I do.

I also shot a running doe (she spooked) running away from me at 45 yds with a 53 tsx.
Broke the pelvis in 3 pieces and still exited out between her right front shoulder and neck.
I'm a believer.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

I do. My concern is if it will have the penetration necessary to reach vitals after 200 yards. Maybe it's unfounded but I would prefer that shot with my 7 mag.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
I find it interesting that many argue the merits of the .223 as a deer round but never talk about any short comings.
The short comings are it's small wound channel and less damage than is made by larger bullets.
This doesn't matter if it shot is placed in the forward half of the chest cavity where it penetrates both lungs and lots of blood vessels. The buck isn't going far.
But how about the shots that go bad and hit something that doesn't bleed nearly as much ? Think a .22 caliber bullet will make as large a wound channel as a 7mm - .308 bullet of like construction and velocity ?
One doesn't hear much about fast .270 or '06' bullets that expand rapidly killing quickly with a hit behind the diaphragm. But Jack O'Connor used to write about such things.
I'm not saying this happens much on really big, tough animals, but it does on deer.
John Wooters, in his great book, Hunting Throphy Deer discussed the fact that one rarely gets the time to carefully place his shots on big, old bucks. For that job one needs extra killing ability. That's why he recommended cartriages between .26-.30 caliber pusing bullets between 130-150 grs. in weight between 2800-3000 fps. E

Were Barnes available back when those books were written? Ford did'nt make a 3.5 liter V6 that made 375 HP either.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I do. My concern is if it will have the penetration necessary to reach vitals after 200 yards. Maybe it's unfounded but I would prefer that shot with my 7 mag.
If all I've got to shoot at is an azz the deer walks no matter what rifle I'm carrying. I'm just not that desperate to kill a deer, ever.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Just use a 22LR!

That'll work!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

200 yards and under there isn't a shot angle I would pass up with the .223AI that I would take with the 7mm-08, .300Sav, .308W or .30-06. Further with the .22-250.

If you don't want to believe what others here have proven and shown, then you have to prove it to yourself. I trusted their experience and then found out they were right.

Last edited by battue; 01/20/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Well, I am going to give it a go and see it for myself. Maybe the Nosler to dink around with.

And there are certainly a couple of racks on the wall here that would have gotten shot regardless of the presentation...)

Defend the Constitution
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

184 members (1lessdog, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 219DW, 007FJ, 15 invisible), 1,415 guests, and 895 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,871
Posts18,478,705
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.