Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm starting to warm up to the 45 super. I'd debated a 10mm, but after recent discussions and considering I'm already set up for loading and casting 45 it just seems to make more sense.

I'm considering a Glock 21, but what other good or better options are out there? My preference is for a double stack striker fired pistol.

GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Another alternative.

HK USP Full Size -- Not "striker fired" but it is a double stack (12+1) with double/single action and cocked/locked capability (safety can be used or not with hammer down (double action) or hammer cocked.

After thorough research, it appears that the USP 45 is capable of continuous use of 45 Super level loads. My son had been carrying the Glock 20. Neither of us felt/feel comfortable carrying the Glock with one in the chamber, so were looking for an alternative. The USPs “long” double action first shot and thumb safety (if desired) with the .45 Super load fit the bill. Tried the Buffalo Bore 230s and 255s along with several hand loads, finally settling on a hand load using new Starline .45 Super brass and Nosler 230gr JFPs at 1,100 fps. With 12 +1 capacity, it is reliable, portable, reasonably powerful and quite controllable. If anyone is interested, here’ a link covering the subject pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?16503-HK-USP-45-field-pistol.

Still a work in progress and will be testing 250gr LFNGCs (sized .451) from MT Bullet Works as time allows. https://www.montanabulletworks.com/product/45-colt-lbt-250gr-lfn_gc/

FWIW,

Paul

Last edited by paul105; 01/20/17.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
1911 set up correctly is hard to beat. I even shoot some in a lightweight full size. A 250 at a thousand feet per second is pretty handy on the mountain

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by paul105
Neither of us felt/feel comfortable carrying the Glock with one in the chamber, so were looking for an alternative.

Sorry, but that's ridiculous.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Yondering
Neither of us felt/feel comfortable carrying the Glock with one in the chamber, so were looking for an alternative.

Feelings are exactly that and are not ridiculous to those that feel that way.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Another alternative.

HK USP Full Size -- Not "striker fired" but it is a double stack (12+1) with double/single action and cocked/locked capability (safety can be used or not with hammer down (double action) or hammer cocked.

After thorough research, it appears that the USP 45 is capable of continuous use of 45 Super level loads. My son had been carrying the Glock 20. Neither of us felt/feel comfortable carrying the Glock with one in the chamber, so were looking for an alternative. The USPs “long” double action first shot and thumb safety (if desired) with the .45 Super load fit the bill. Tried the Buffalo Bore 230s and 255s along with several hand loads, finally settling on a hand load using new Starline .45 Super brass and Nosler 230gr JFPs at 1,100 fps. With 12 +1 capacity, it is reliable, portable, reasonably powerful and quite controllable. If anyone is interested, here’ a link covering the subject pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?16503-HK-USP-45-field-pistol.

Still a work in progress and will be testing 250gr LFNGCs (sized .451) from MT Bullet Works as time allows. https://www.montanabulletworks.com/product/45-colt-lbt-250gr-lfn_gc/

FWIW,

Paul

The HK USP is a very strong pistol that is not fazed by 45 Supers.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by jwp475

That's the problem with making decisions based on feelings instead of logic. That's what the liberal SJW types do; I'd hope most here are above that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That's the problem with making decisions based on feelings instead of logic. That's what the liberal SJW types do; I'd hope most here are above that.

Sidearms are as personal a choice as anything. He ain't saying he doesn't feel comfortable carrying, only that he ain't comfortable carrying a Glock. So, he'll carry something else.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

A man should be able to carry the type of weapon he is comfortable with, I fail to see how that falls into liberal logic.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

A man should be able to carry the type of weapon he is comfortable with, I fail to see how that falls into liberal logic.

Good grief people. I commented about the "not carrying one in the chamber". You guys are all over that in other threads, but in this one it makes sense? SMH I didn't say it's ridiculous to not carry a Glock; I don't care what brand he carries.

It is ridiculous to "feel" that a Glock shouldn't be carried with a round in the chamber; that's an emotion based in ignorance, not rational facts.

Last edited by Yondering; 01/21/17.
IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

He only said that he didn't feel comfortable carrying a Glock with a round in the chamber. That's why he was looking for a different platform. I don't see the problem.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I'm starting to warm up to the 45 super. I'd debated a 10mm, but after recent discussions and considering I'm already set up for loading and casting 45 it just seems to make more sense.

I'm considering a Glock 21, but what other good or better options are out there? My preference is for a double stack striker fired pistol.

Take a look at this web site first.

Further along the learning curve than the "Super".

https://www.460rowland.com/

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
There are several reasons for not carrying a Glock of any kind with a round in the chamber. Nothing "ridiculous" about it - I wouldn't do it, either.

Mike

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's more of a training issue if your not comfortable carrying a round in the chamber of a Glock or any firearm for that matter.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I carry 'hot' Glock, in a Serpa when I'm carrying open (out of town).

I'm really living on the edge.......grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Back on topic, is shooting 45 Super as simple as a barrel and recoil spring swap on the HK USP 45 and Glock 21?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Mikewriter
There are several reasons for not carrying a Glock of any kind with a round in the chamber. Nothing "ridiculous" about it - I wouldn't do it, either.

Mike

Also from "Mikewriter"

"PERSONALLY, the Glock imaginary safety system scares me. I don't want a gun making decisions for me that should be under my control. If I had kept my Glock, it would have been sent in for a similar operation. Glock DID make a pistol with a manual safety at one time, I think. To me, those who worry about taking a manual safety OFF before needing to shoot are the ones afraid of their guns."

I hate those Glocks that think for themselves, instead of being inanimate objects. Not to mention the "Imaginary safeties"..

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by kingston
Back on topic, is shooting 45 Super as simple as a barrel and recoil spring swap on the HK USP 45 and Glock 21?

No need for a barrel swap, I've shot 45 Super in my USP with the stock spring without issue. I installed a heavier Wolfe recoil spring and the USP would barely cycle with 45 ACP +P's and I doubt that it would cycle standard 45 ACP with the heavier spring. I'm not sure that the USP needs the heavier recoil spring. The HK USP is very accurate in my experience.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Now you got me thinking about a 45 Super in an HK double stack, THANKS! laugh

Trump Won!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by gunner500
Now you got me thinking about a 45 Super in an HK double stack, THANKS! laugh

You are more than welcome!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

361 members (007FJ, 160user, 1lesfox, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 29 invisible), 1,999 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,848
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.