Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by gitem_12
I've never understood the theory. I've always figured if I needed a gun outside of effecting an arrest, it was going to be needed right got damned NOW, with damned little time to discuss other options

You are correct of course.

No schit.

I have never ever ever carried a handgun without one in the pipe.

Stupid.

Last edited by local_dirt; 01/21/17.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by viking
I don't see the point.

Good because there isn't one. Carrying with an empty chamber is the result of bad training, lack of knowledge of circumstances of real life SD events, and bad tactics that some learned in the military carrying 1911s in C3. Crazy thinking

If you need the pistol you'll need it immediately. Condition 1 while carrying, and even the idea of engaging the thumb safety on a 1911 while carrying in a proper IWB holster is of questionable value IMHO. Needs rethinking.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by DINK
Originally Posted by BamBam
Originally Posted by warpig602
Do people actually carry with no round in the chamber?

Yes. And if I had to guess it would be more than 50% of the people who carry (in this part of the country anyway).

Dink

I personally do not know anyone that does not carry a round in the chamber. Has anyone done a survey on this forum? That would be kind of interesting. I personally, carry a round in the chamber.

You could do a survey but people would lie. It's kinda like everyone carries a all steel five inch 1911 and six mags until you ask to see it. Well it was left at home because ( fill in the blank).

Start asking around about at the range, gun shop, etc. like you want their expert opinion on the matter. Then start asking to see their ccw guns. A lot won't have a round chambered.

Dink

Why would anyone lie? I believe the majority would tell the truth, if not all. Do you carry a round in the chamber, and what is your reasoning behind your answer.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I imagine to avoid the harassment. Which means they likely know they are the minority and as such also likely know they probably shouldn't carry that way but do for whatever perceived safety benefit the feel it offers.

Just goes along the lines of other, but less questionable theories for carry. Like spare mags, some say mandatory others not. Or carrying ALL day(wake up until bed). Im somehwere in the middle. Depending on what im doing or where im going a spare mag may not be in my pocket and its rarely on my belt. I also take my gun off at home. Some days I even......off body carry *gasp*. Situation dictates carry.

Yes. And if I had to guess it would be more than 50% of the people who carry (in this part of the country anyway).

Dink

I personally do not know anyone that does not carry a round in the chamber. Has anyone done a survey on this forum? That would be kind of interesting. I personally, carry a round in the chamber.

You could do a survey but people would lie. It's kinda like everyone carries a all steel five inch 1911 and six mags until you ask to see it. Well it was left at home because ( fill in the blank).

Start asking around about at the range, gun shop, etc. like you want their expert opinion on the matter. Then start asking to see their ccw guns. A lot won't have a round chambered.

Dink

Why would anyone lie? I believe the majority would tell the truth, if not all. Do you carry a round in the chamber, and what is your reasoning behind your answer.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264
Originally Posted by viking
I don't see the point.

Good because there isn't one. Carrying with an empty chamber is the result of bad training, lack of knowledge of circumstances of real life SD events, and bad tactics that some learned in the military carrying 1911s in C3. Crazy thinking

If you need the pistol you'll need it immediately. Condition 1 while carrying, and even the idea of engaging the thumb safety on a 1911 while carrying in a proper IWB holster is of questionable value IMHO. Needs rethinking.
My thinking, exactly.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Dink

Dink

People lie all the time so other people won't think less of them. Shoving a loaded pistol in your pants makes a lot of people uneasy.

I always carry a round in the chamber. Bad things happen really fast and I don't want to be trying to get my gun loaded when I need it.

I also carry extra mags, flashlight and sometimes a extra gun. It's just stuff I'm used to having at work.

Dink

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Seems to me the main reason for developing a DA Auto handgun was to produce a firearm that could be carried reasonably safely with a round in the chamber and be able to produce a quick first shot.

People have been carrying DA revolvers with a round in the chamber for a long time.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've never felt unsafe carrying striker fired gun with one up the spout, same with a da/sa, or SAO gun.

I prefer Da,or do GUNS because I like the second strike feature. I've also never put much stock into the " high bore axis" theory, that those guns are more difficult to shoot, or any slower in measurable practicality to fire accurately.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Yes. The hero in the video was one of them. Could have cost him his life.
The incident was in Brazil. I can recall seeing another shooting video in Brazil and IIRC that video had a guy carrying C3. It could be the law in Brazil, I'm not sure. That is the law in Israel. So consider that there may be legal reasons the guy was carrying C3. Or he could just be an idiot.

It is not.

I have personally trained Brazilian special operations personnel (Mil and LEOs) and while (just like here) everyone does not do things the exact same way, they do not have any legal restrictions to carrying a handgun properly loaded.

[Linked Image]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Seems to me the main reason for developing a DA Auto handgun was to produce a firearm that could be carried reasonably safely with a round in the chamber and be able to produce a quick first shot.

People have been carrying DA revolvers with a round in the chamber for a long time.

A month or so back I had a discussion with a guy on another forum when he stated he always instructed people to carry with an empty chamber - even modern double action revolvers! He stated he was an ex-military weapons expert now conducting training for civilian CCW classes. He defended his instruction of a cold chamber because that's the way he was taught in the "special operations group." Idiot...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W

I prefer Da,or do GUNS because I like the second strike feature.

Do you actually train that way? I immediately begin malfunction clearing on a click rather than try pulling the trigger again. Too many other things it could be besides a hard primer to potentially waste the time pulling the trigger.

Last edited by warpig602; 01/22/17.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

I prefer Da,or do GUNS because I like the second strike feature.

Do you actually train that way? I immediately begin malfunction clearing rather than try pulling the trigger again.

no. I guess it's a subconscious warm and friendly...I still prefer Da guns though.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MOGC

A month or so back I had a discussion with a guy on another forum when he stated he always instructed people to carry with an empty chamber - even modern double action revolvers! He stated he was an ex-military weapons expert now conducting training for civilian CCW classes. He defended his instruction of a cold chamber because that's the way he was taught in the "special operations group." Idiot...
A friend of mine in college was a fellow gun loony. Odd thing about this guy was that he carried double action revolvers sans one round under the hammer. I always thought that bizarre. When I asked him why, he said it was for safety. This was back in the early 1980s. Made no sense to me then or now.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

A friend of mine in college was a fellow gun loony. Odd thing about this guy was that he carried double action revolvers sans one round under the hammer. I always thought that bizarre. When I asked him why, he said it was for safety. This was back in the early 1980s. Made no sense to me then or now.

If a revolver doesn't have a transfer bar safety or an enclosed hammer, dropping the gun on the hammer can cause it to fire if you have a round under the hammer.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Well that makes it pretty clear.

I found a pocket holster that I bought that makes me more comfortable about carrying my LCP 2 with a loaded chamber. It is a Kydex holster that completely secures the trigger while allowing the firearm to be loaded and unloaded while in the holster. It's made by BORAII and makes carrying the single action LCP 2, with it's light trigger pull, worry free.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Dink

I carry a five inch steel frame 1911 loaded and locked all day every day. It depends where I am as to how many extra magazines but never over two. If I need more than 25 rounds I will already be dead. For the record it has a round in the chamber and I am not telling a lie.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

If a revolver doesn't have a transfer bar safety or an enclosed hammer, dropping the gun on the hammer can cause it to fire if you have a round under the hammer.

I know, but how many modern S&W, Ruger, Colt double action revolvers fall into that category? Remember, he's training CCW classes. I don't know anybody packing a Colt SAA for their CCW gun but I suppose that's possible.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Like most, I cannot see any sense in carrying a weapon without a round in the chamber. If you are paranoid about dropping it, or shooting your toe off, buy one with a thumb safety or use a revolver. At least you are not fumbling around trying to work a slide while some nut is beating on your head. My bedstand weapon is a a S&W 16 shot SD9 VE with no thumb safety and always loaded fully. My CCW is a Either a Taurus PT-111 or a SCCY CPX-1 both with thumb safeties. With a bit of practice you can flip the safety off in a second. The SCCY CPX-1 has an ambidextrious safety for both right handers and lefties. Can't figure why an Instructor would tell some one to carry with an empty chamber.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

They are out there and unfortunately reproduce.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 59 invisible), 2,686 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,154
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.