-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
My experience with the 7 Rem Mag. must be unique. I have yet to meet a truly experienced shooter who uses one. ( I KNOW they MUST be out there, because the cartridge has real merit..) but every single solitary 7 Rem Mag shooter I ever met bought one because Uncle Charlie said it will blow things down of its own volition, and kill quicker than any other cartridge...
End results are two fold. 1) It doesn't get used much, cause it has these magical powers, and 2) Never, EVER, have I seen it used to good effect, the shooter is ordinarily scared of it, and its recoil.
I literally wince when someone says they brought a "7mmMag"....

Carry on... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
The big four big game cartridges: 270 W, 7 RM, 30-06, 300 W.
Each is slightly better for some uses but the 7 RM covers the territory occupied by the other three.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
My experience with the 7 Rem Mag. must be unique. I have yet to meet a truly experienced shooter who uses one. ( I KNOW they MUST be out there, because the cartridge has real merit..) but every single solitary 7 Rem Mag shooter I ever met bought one because Uncle Charlie said it will blow things down of its own volition, and kill quicker than any other cartridge...
End results are two fold. 1) It doesn't get used much, cause it has these magical powers, and 2) Never, EVER, have I seen it used to good effect, the shooter is ordinarily scared of it, and its recoil.

Carry on... grin

And that would be 'cause the "truly experienced shooters", all use .270's!!!!

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is my take on the 7 Mag. I've got 2 friends at work who hunt with it. One is just a hunter he uses factory ammo, I forget which kind. He's killed just about everything in Colorado with, several were long distance @ 300 yards. They were bighorn sheep & mtn goat. My other friend is kind of a gun loony. He enjoys working on guns, making stocks and reloading. He reloads for his 7 Mag. I think uses both Sierra and Speer bullets. He's killed deer, elk, black bear with his reloads just fine. Both of them have Remington 700's. I've hunted with both and never felt that my 30/06 was at a disadvantage.

FYI---both bought their boys 30/06's.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With the right bullet they work okay- mine made some meat this season.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Stunt shooter....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bighorn
Originally Posted by ingwe

Carry on... grin

...and wear leopard print skivvies.

There ain't nothing like experience. I'll take it over serious, any day.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The 7mm Mag is easily the most over rated cartridge available. Doing nothing more than other cartridges had been doing for decades. 50 years later it is still a favorite that performs adequately.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

And you would be wrong to say, "ALL".

There are several here on the 'fire' that are 'truly experienced shooters" and USE the 7 RM.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HitnRun
The 7mm Mag is easily the most over rated cartridge available. Doing nothing more than other cartridges had been doing for decades. 50 years later it is still a favorite that performs adequately.

Damn, what an ironic signature line you've got... laugh

Tanner

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those poor children. Someone should call DSS and report them for BC neglect. Really. The parents of today depriving children the right to be like all the other normal kids. What the hell?

I like my particular rig more than the actual chambering. 270, 30-06, 7RM whatever. Reckon that's dog bait, I'm sure I'm wrong.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Do the numbers a 7 can't hang with a 6.5 anymore. 7mms are 2015......it's over!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jwall

And you would be wrong to say, "ALL".

There are several here on the 'fire' that are 'truly experienced shooters" and USE the 7 RM.

Jerry

I'm starting to wonder if this thread shouldn't be merged with Jim's "Serious Hunter" thread.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anybody mention yet that the 7mm will shoot flat to about 200 and start to rise a bit?

26" bbls are the minimum, and for gods sake be careful in thick brush. She'll put a big flame about 10 feet out the barrel and catch the woods on fire

It's all about energy boys.......

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Energy and knock down. Don't forget the knock down power

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Energy and knock down. Don't forget the knock down power

I'm sure 'bore can make you a spread sheet so you can compare all that stuff.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Tanner

Tanner

Be careful, there are still a couple people on the campfire with a little more experience than you. Your success can't be denied, but other's success can't be ignored.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tanner

Tanner

Be careful, there are still a couple people on the campfire with a little more experience than you. Your success can't be denied, but other's success can't be ignored.

I'm sure you know my post was in jest... I've got no emotional attachment to any cartridge in particular but I've gotten pretty fond of how my 7 Rem has performed on a handful of animals lately. I feel pretty comfy with that rifle.

Tanner

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It starts to rise a bit? As in defy gravity? That's some serious magic. Doggie is mad because I can spell spreadsheet. The only reason I have a 7 Magic Magnum is so I can appreciate a 270. Or 30-06, or 7-08, or (fill in the blank).

Is this the part where I have to give 20% of my paycheck to Dog because 1/2 MOA of drift?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The seven RM has been a lucky cartridge rifle combo for me. Twice it was the only centerfire I owned. I have shot the longest strings of one shot kills with the 7RM more than any other cartridge. Several of 20+ straight and one over 30 straight. I don't even drink 7 and 7 and it is still a favorite.

Some of the glitter has worn off for sure but if I was reduced to one rifle for all non dangerous game again I would be plenty happy if it was the 7RM.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

653 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 3,401 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,374
Posts18,469,379
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.