Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Your science cannot predict a coin flip.

Neither can your God.

God only knows.

In a million years science may be able to predict coin flips. Keep working at it. There are a lot of currently out of control variables. A big one is the consciousness of the coin flipper. No good model for that right now. We don't have a clue. Our best scientist Stuart Hameroff, says the best test for consciousness is to ask them if they are awake.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by shootem

The Jews of Exodus wandering in the desert described God who led them as a 'Cloud of Smoke' by day and a 'Pillar of Fire by night'.......How would one of us interpret the same 'fact' were we to view it with today's understanding of reality? It'll be amazing to find out.

Well, despite the 21st century, some still don't have rational enquiring minds, they prefer to adhere to ancient vague mystical accounts from scripture as being the absolute unquestionable truth....they are not much different to those people of today who still believe mirrors and photographs can steal their soul...and will refuse to consider a rational scientific explanation.

Belief doesn't change absolute fact. .

In the absence of fact (or simply blind to facts that are obvious), humans will tend to create all sorts of misguided convenient beliefs.

I have a rational and enquiring mind, though diminished by usage and misusage, despite 21st Century scientification. Though science has certainly advanced to the point of further explaining certain facts we previously understook only incompletely or not at all, it too often suffers self idolotry evidenced by considering its work in terms of 'always', 'never', 'absolutely', 'impossible', etc. when these terms are 'absolutely' inappropriate. I do not deny this extends to some scientific studies of Biblical origin and history, even truth. However this does not diminish my acceptance of the reality of God. I can wade thru the muck out pretty well.

There is never the absence of fact or, perhaps more accurately, truth. But as stated previously fact (truth) can interpreted correctly, incorrectly, or in an incomplete version of either, possibly both simultaneously. There are so many instances in scripture of real people trying their best to accurately describe what they are seeing, thinking or dreaming when there is simply not enough data on the hard drive to give a fully accurate description of the truth they have observed or experienced. Our actions and beliefs today can be critiqued in the same manner.

Many can and do look at Biblical accounts with the attitude of 'absolute' disbelief. How can a dead man possibly live? How can water gush from a rock? How can a people be fed daily in a desert devoid of food by an invisible entity they call God? Well, perhaps these are truths the lack of data on the hard drive prevents us from accurately interpreting. Who is man to say he is all knowing? Only thru arrogance is this voiced. We can't begin to know what we don't know or how to compensate for our ignorance. I am convinced reality extends into realms the human mind has not yet begun to understand. I see an analogy of walking into a dark room with your dog. Suddenly it is light. Dog MIGHT recognize that change has something to do with you, after all it doesn't get light with just him there. Then try to explain to him the perfect logic of it all; "fire burns the coal, which heats the water to steam, which turns the rotors, yada yada yada, then all I do is flip the switch". If dog could reply he'd probly ask "What's a switch". OK, when it comes to fully understanding the power of God, we're the dog. Nice conversation. Thanks.

Last edited by shootem; 01/23/17.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by Starman
A.Einstein died in 1955, but in 1954 wrote to Erik Gutkind - in which he dismissed belief in God as superstitious and characterized
the stories in the Bible as childish. One might conclude he was reacting against such primitive superstitions held by many.

"the word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable
but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish."
- A.E.

"I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly," - A.E.

""If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world
so far as our science can reveal it."
- A.E.

"for me, the Jewish religion like all other religions is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions." - A.E.

He'll have all the time in eternity to ponder his own foolishness.

Pascals wager?

Really?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

The Jews of Exodus wandering in the desert described God who led them as a 'Cloud of Smoke' by day and a 'Pillar of Fire by night'. No doubt to me they reported fact, but there is much more there they did not have the ability to interpret even as they watched. So they were accurate but 'incomplete' in their description. How would one of us interpret the same 'fact' were we to view it with today's understanding of reality? It'll be amazing to find out.

And now for today's pop quiz. What is the name for God the Creator?

Except the part where main stream Bible Scholars no longer accept The Exodus as a historical event, nor Moses as a historical character....

Again you find some whackos who call themselves Bible Scholars who also don't believe in the resurrection of Jesus. They are not Bible Scholars. They are using the Bible to make money by selling their tripe to those who want to believe a lie.

Says the Young Earth Creationist.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kingston

Neither can your God.

With out God there are no laws of physics for a coin to be tossed. This is a concept the evolutionist seem to miss. If the universe is a random process one could not expect a result twice.

You just keep repeating meaningless BS without any proof.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Can you see me now?
I am... in the chasm of ignorance.
By humbling myself before God, ...

Yea, that pretty much sums up where theology falls on your chart.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

But it can predict a million within a margin of error.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

But it can predict a million within a margin of error.

pre·dict
prəˈdikt/
verb
say or estimate that (a specified thing) will happen in the future or will be a consequence of something.
"it is too early to predict a result"
synonyms: forecast, foretell, foresee, prophesy, anticipate,..

When you get down to probability, your model is failing at that point.
That is why quantum mechanics is an incomplete theory.
It has been for 100 years. We are stuck.
The Schrodinger equation is a probability wave.

Read up on the difference between probabilistic and deterministic models.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

There is never the absence of fact or, perhaps more accurately, truth.

Relative to flawed human awareness of course there can be absence of fact, where it be purposely hidden from them
, or the person just ignorantly blind to it. >> I did not say the non-existence of fact, but the abscence of fact.
Something can be absent from somewhere or someone, and still exist cant it?

Many can and do look at Biblical accounts with the attitude of 'absolute' disbelief. How can a dead man possibly live?
How can water gush from a rock? How can a people be fed daily in a desert devoid of food by an invisible entity they call God?
Well, perhaps these are truths the lack of data on the hard drive prevents us from accurately interpreting. Who is man to say he is all knowing? .

Not all questioning/enquiring men claim to be all knowing...some simply question the validity of biblical claims, eg; like talking donkeys.
Many rational christians themselves don't believe such stories but still embrace and live christian values, very early Christians did not
believe that Jesus was divine...and some still don't.
Christians argued between themselves about divinity of Jesus, and it was supposedly settled in the 4th century by being decided by vote ,
which was then rejected and overturned by those who didn't like the result.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Our Founding Fathers had different strong beliefs and faiths yet specifically made a point of not forcing one group's on others.
Why this need to try and destroy or ridicule others faith or beliefs? That's what ISIS does!

Miracles, by definition, can't be explained by natural or scientific law. Hence, arguing they didn't happen based on one's understanding of science is moot.

Likewise, trying to explain them by science, as a spate of TV shows have tried to do, is silly because miracles are again, by definition, not explainable by science.

I'm not arguing whether or not they occurred. One can believe or not as they wish.

If you have faith, you don't need to justify or defend it.
If you don't believe then fine, but you can't prove there is no God with a capital "G" either.
If one feels one has to justify their faith or prove prove that God doesn't exist, they're missing something.

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Pie times the radius squared

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Deflagrate

First Peter 3:15:

3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in you hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got no problem with those that don't believe in God

Nor do I have a problem with those that believe God is real

I've had my own struggles with whether there's a creator or not.

When I'm surrounded by humans oftentimes it's very hard for me to believe there's a God, particularly the one described in the Bible kjv

But when I'm in the places that make my heart sing, the deep timber, the lonely windswept ridges, on the beach or in the mountains it's hard for me to deny the existence of a creator

YMMV, and I'm fine with that

Just my own personal experience

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Our Founding Fathers had different strong beliefs and faiths yet specifically made a point of not forcing one group's on others.
Why this need to try and destroy or ridicule others faith or beliefs? That's what ISIS does!

Miracles, by definition, can't be explained by natural or scientific law. Hence, arguing they didn't happen based on one's understanding of science is moot.

Likewise, trying to explain them by science, as a spate of TV shows have tried to do, is silly because miracles are again, by definition, not explainable by science.

I'm not arguing whether or not they occurred. One can believe or not as they wish.

If you don't believe then fine, but you can't prove there is no God with a capital "G" either.
If one feels one has to justify their faith or prove prove that God doesn't exist, they're missing something.

Nicely put

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

The Jews of Exodus wandering in the desert described God who led them as a 'Cloud of Smoke' by day and a 'Pillar of Fire by night'. No doubt to me they reported fact, but there is much more there they did not have the ability to interpret even as they watched. So they were accurate but 'incomplete' in their description. How would one of us interpret the same 'fact' were we to view it with today's understanding of reality? It'll be amazing to find out.

Except the part where main stream Bible Scholars no longer accept The Exodus as a historical event, nor Moses as a historical character....
Such "main stream Bible scholars" are as legitimate as the main stream news. Deluded liars all.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

This.

But, those like Ringman, Starman, and Snyper simply cannot allow that others believe or believe differently than they do.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by shaman
Here's a little bit of Sunday morning pot stirring for the Campfire.

[url=http://www.express.co.uk/news/science/756870/proof-of-god-kurt-godel][/url]

Scientists use mathematical calculations to PROVE the existence of God
SCIENTISTS have ‘confirmed’ the existence of God after proving a mathematician’s theory which suggests that there is a higher power.
By Sean Martin
PUBLISHED: 03:00, Sun, Jan 22, 2017 | UPDATED: 09:03, Sun, Jan 22, 2017

Two computer scientists say they proved that there is a holy supreme force after confirming the equations.

In 1978, mathematician Kurt Gödel died and left behind a long and complex theory based on modal logic.

Dr Gödel’s model uses mathematical equations that are extremely complicated, but the essence is that no greater power than God can be conceived, and if he or she is believed as a concept then he or she can exist in reality.

Scientists claim to have proof of God

Mathmatician Kurt Gödel established the equation

Renowned physicist finds PROOF of God

Or as Dr Gödel put it through his equations: “Ax. 1. {P(φ)∧◻∀x[φ(x)→ψ(x)]} →P(ψ)Ax. 2.P(¬φ)↔¬P(φ)Th. 1.P(φ)→◊∃x[φ(x)]Df. 1.G(x)⟺∀φ[P(φ)→φ(x)]Ax. 3.P(G)Th. 2.◊∃xG(x)Df. 2.φ ess x⟺φ(x)∧∀ψ{ψ(x)→◻∀y[φ(y)→ψ(y)]}Ax. 4.P(φ)→◻P(φ)Th. 3.G(x)→G ess xDf. 3.E(x)⟺∀φ[φ ess x→◻∃yφ(y)]Ax. 5.P(E)Th. 4.◻∃xG(x)”.

You get it, right?

But two computer scientists have used computers to run such complicated which they say confirms that the equation does indeed add up.

The point of the researchers’ argument was that they were not directly trying to prove the existence of God, but rather to showcase the power of computers.

Christoph Benzmüller of Berlin's Free University, who ran the calculations along with Bruno Woltzenlogel Paleo of the Technical University in Vienna, told Spiegel Online: "It's totally amazing that from this argument led by Gödel, all this stuff can be proven automatically in a few seconds or even less on a standard notebook.

“I didn’t know it would create such a huge public interest but [Gödel’s ontological proof] was definitely a better example than something inaccessible in mathematics or artificial intelligence…

I wonder if they can also prove the existence of other invisible beings like the Tooth Fairy? My youngest Grandson told me he has actually seen the Tooth Fairy and he looks a lot like my Son.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
One of the best explanations of who God is and why we are who we are and the world is what it is is in the 1977 movie "Oh God", starring George Burns as God.

https://youtu.be/G1YsGmhaWyw

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by hanco
Pie times the radius squared

lol.

even my Grandmom, raised in a good standing Lutheran family, and who later fell by the wayside and joint the Baptists knows that pie are round. and i can attest that her homemade applepies were delish.

she even knows that if we were to send a rocket ship to the moon, it'd destroy us all, because the rocket would punch a hole in the atmosphere and let all the air out. now that's something to think about.

it amazes me that we can even be here, having this conversation. but, here we are nevertheless.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Again you find some whackos who call themselves Bible Scholars who also don't believe in the resurrection of Jesus. They are not Bible Scholars. They are using the Bible to make money by selling their tripe to those who want to believe a lie.

Says the Young Earth Creationist.

There are physical scientists with significantly more education than yours who accept a young earth as strongly as you accept an old earth. We all have the same information. It our wold view that tells us how to interpret it. You start with the idea the majority is correct. So did Dr. Kindell. And yet he studied ten different fields during his education. He now lectures on science without using the Bible.

He looks at a single rock with four different ages that vary by a billion years and says, "The dating system is flawed." You look at the same information and say, "This proves the Bible is wrong."

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (BALLISTIK, 6mmbrfan, 907brass, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,474 guests, and 942 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,219
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.