Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Arrived a couple days ago. Got it scoped and ready to go.

*One note- the magazine is blocked at the back for the shorter .222 cartridge. As near as I can tell from reading, and seeing this, there might be two sizes of actions on the Sauer 100. A combination Mini/Medium and Magnum. None of the literature is clear on this. That's my splatter paint job, don't blame Sauer. Haven't shot it yet. Available in some good cartridges, including a couple of the 6.5's.

Writeups give specs.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/gun-test-sauer-100-classic-xt-rifle

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2016/12/24/hardware-sauer-100-classic-xt/#

Forum members were able to set me up with some ammo to try, brass, and dies, for that I'm very grateful, thank you guys. Here's the little Sauer 100 .222. Range test soon I hope.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

LOL
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Found the 100 a good bit less expensive here, and GREAT service from these guys.

https://www.gunprodeals.com/

LOL
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
The .222 is a fine caliber... I use mine for all sorts of varmints.. If legal, a super turkey rifle..

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice.....
I bet it's a shooter....

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I'm hoping.

LOL
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
100 yard ten shot group

[Linked Image]

200 yards

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's the good news. The bad news, the rifle won't feed. At all. Rarely. Factory or handloads. It's bad.

Seems like a combination of a sheitty magazine and a wall at the back of the barrel. A big, strong wall. Where there should be a chamber. Just a giant metal wall that the bullet likes to ram into.

So there's that. Now the fun begins.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great shooter. Too bad about the feeding. I hope it will be an easy fix for you like a new magazine.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by barm
Great shooter. Too bad about the feeding. I hope it will be an easy fix for you like a new magazine.

I shined a light in there to have a look at the chamber. I already knew what I was going to see.

The barrel is flat at the back. No feed ramp. It has lugs for the bolt to turn into (3 lugs, 60 degree lift) right behind the chamber. I don't know if those lugs are supposed to guide the cartridge into the chamber or if the bolt is supposed to pick it up and carry it in. I suspect the latter. The magazine clearly is not right, it double loads sometimes, won't release a cartridge at all sometimes, spring binds up and doesn't tension cartridges sometimes, cartrdiges come out at all angles and ram into the back of the barrel. etc. I'd take it apart and polish it but I'm waiting for a reply before I void any warranty.

It is the worst feeding rifle I have ever seen, or could even imagine. I was able to get two loads to feed sometimes, but it was far, far from being a functional rifle IMO.

Even if a guy dedicated it to single shot use for prairie dog towns, the chamber is recessed so far inside the receiver and the barrel is so blunt at the back that it's almost impossible to single feed. You can't drop one on an empty magazine and scoot it in, it jams into the back of the barrel.

Very disappointed.

LOL
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Fireball2: Dang that is disappointing!
I couldn't even suggest a cure.
But I hope someone more knowledgeable than I can help you out.
The double loading magazine and the non-existent feed ramp tells me this design wasn't "mocked up" for testing - just put together.
It shoots so very well that maybe you could get along single loading ("putting up" somehow with the problems you posted)?
How about round nosed bullets if you can find some for your handloading?
I am just sad for your situation but hopeful for a good outcome.
Thanks for sharing your porblems with us.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
No way I can live with a rifle that won't feed, or even single load well!

As of right at this moment, the biggest problem I have is that it came with no warranty card, and I have 10 days from the date of purchase to return it, and I'm there!

Since the rifle was pretty obviously not tested for function, and it came without a warranty card, and they only give you ten days from the date of purchase to return it (to Germany???), should I be hopeful?

With an internet purchase taking most of 10 days just to get delivered, not sure how anyone could ever get a warranty card returned in just 10 days. IF it goes to Germany, forget it, not possible.

LOL
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Fireball2: Dang that is disappointing!
I couldn't even suggest a cure.
But I hope someone more knowledgeable than I can help you out.
The double loading magazine and the non-existent feed ramp tells me this design wasn't "mocked up" for testing - just put together.
It shoots so very well that maybe you could get along single loading ("putting up" somehow with the problems you posted)?
I am just sad for your situation but hopeful for a good outcome.
Thanks for sharing your porblems with us.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Yea.....I'm sure they built them without any testing.
For a guy that claims to know so much about guns you can sure say some stupid chit.
______________________________________________________________________________________

That sucks FB
I'd start with a new magazine.
You mentioned the bolt. Are these rifles CRF?

There was a video floating around the web a few years ago of a guy somewhere in Europe shooting driven hogs with a Sauer. He was running that bolt action like a semi auto so clearly Sauer can build a rifle that feeds well.
It's probably an easy fix (like the magazine).

Luck

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Are these rifles CRF?

Pushes the cartridge about halfway out of the magazine, never grabs onto it in any way, and then it jams into the end of the barrel. The problem with the 222 is, if the lugs are somehow supposed to act like a ramp to guide the cartridge into the chamber, the little 222 falls between the lugs if it's riding loose out of the magazine on it's way forward. Right into the back of the barrel, or sometimes the cartridge pops up and hits above the chamber.

It's probably an easy fix (like the magazine).

I appreciate the encouragement. I had a buddy with a Sauer .270 that was an honest 1/2" gun and ran like a raped ape. I hope you're right but plastic magazines, sheesh.

Luck

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I would be very disappointed if it came to that. Nah, something must be done, they can't be sending out rifle's that feed this poorly and expect the public to go for it. This thread will live in eternity on the internet, so anyone that searches Sauer 100 222 can hopefully be spared from buying one. It'd be nice if Sauer could read it, actually.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[quote=Fireball2]

I appreciate the encouragement. I had a buddy with a Sauer .270 that was an honest 1/2" gun and ran like a raped ape. I hope you're right but plastic magazines, sheesh.

[quote]

Yea....kinda like the Tikka T3 Hunter in 222 that I just bought.

Plastic mag/trigger guard and a long ass action that's impossible to single feed but accurate.
Tikka uses a single stack mag though so at least it feeds even if it only holds three rounds.

Keep us informed and again...luck.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Fireball2
100 yard ten shot group

[Linked Image]

200 yards

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Leupold 2.5-8 set on 8.

LOL
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'd contact Sauer and explain the mail order thing. I'm sure they're work with you.

Do you have a picture of the mag with a round in it?

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Email sent to Sauer. Gunpro already offered to step in if I sent the UPC code to them. I'm waiting on word from Sauer before I go sending the UPC off to a middle man.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
There's all kinds of monkey business with this magazine. It binds up alot, but very subtly. The cartridges do not have even and consistent upward pressure due to the binding, sometimes falling below the line where the bolt could even pick them up.

There's precious little material holding them in as well, and with the normal monkeying required to get the damn things to feed, it dumps two in front of the bolt often.

So this will be hard to explain, but as the cartridge moves forward it hits a tit on the magazine that causes it to rise and align. The problem is, when it comes to the space in front of the rim of the cartridge, that void between the rim and case body, that causes it to go off kilter and jam up against the side of the receiver rather than remain in alignment. There's just not enough surface area of the magazine contacting a cartridge when all it's touching is the rim and it's still not started into the chamber yet.

Basically, this action is too long for the 222. The magazine won't support the cartridge long enough to ensure alignment. Said another way, the cartridge is still too far from the chamber by the time it leaves the magazine to ensure chambering. It's a long action rifle made for a short action cartridge with a sheitty magazine design.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I coulda just bought another Sako Vixen. Those damn rifles work and they're the right size.

I think I'm done with new rifles. The whole, keep it cheap, use the long action for the tiniest cartridges thing is pure bullsheit. Works for the manufacturers but obviously isn't working for the shooter.

LOL
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Bummer.. I love my .222's but something like this should never happen..

Molon Labe
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 58 invisible), 2,336 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,402
Posts18,470,144
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.