Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Many folks do. wink One of the best "serious hunters" I met in my earlier days was a young guy my age who used a Savage 340 .30-30 with the issue open sights, but he was an excellent shot and a deer within 200 yards was dead meat. I went hunting with him after school one day (this was at Utah State) and we had to stop at a local gun store on the way to get a "box of shells". He was in Forestry School like I was but was a local boy and practically knew each deer by name...

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
So what distinguishes a "serious" hunter, and what is the opposite - a frivolous hunter?

Serious hunters go hunting. They may not know much about guns and shooting, but they hunt every chance they get. They may not hunt out of state, or in other countries, but they hunt, and Opening Day is better than Christmas. I think of our own Allen Day as a classic example of a serious hunter. He was as deep in the weeds on shooting as any of us but it was all in service of actually going hunting.

Frivolous hunters go to the woods for other reasons: to drink, lounge around camp, listen to ball games on the radio, smoke cigars, etc. Some of them don't even leave camp. In fact, when I get stuck hunting with one of these folks, I prefer that they don't--they don't spook the game and there's less chance that I'll have to go rescue their dumb asses.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by okie john
So what distinguishes a "serious" hunter, and what is the opposite - a frivolous hunter?

Serious hunters go hunting. They may not know much about guns and shooting, but they hunt every chance they get. They may not hunt out of state, or in other countries, but they hunt, and Opening Day is better than Christmas. I think of our own Allen Day as a classic example of a serious hunter. He was as deep in the weeds on shooting as any of us but it was all in service of actually going hunting.

Frivolous hunters go to the woods for other reasons: to drink, lounge around camp, listen to ball games on the radio, smoke cigars, etc. Some of them don't even leave camp. In fact, when I get stuck hunting with one of these folks, I prefer that they don't--they don't spook the game and there's less chance that I'll have to go rescue their dumb asses.

Okie John

^ ^ ^ ^ THIS ^ ^ ^ ^ RIGHT ^ ^ ^ ^ HERE ^ ^ ^ ^

i'll add that too many that i've seen this day and age
seem to think it's ok to drink and handle firearms.
myself, if i wanted to drink and smoke and listen to
music or watch television, i'd do it from the safety
and comfort of my house.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I remember the handle but it's not in my top memory locations - is he reincarnated here?

No, I don't think so. It's just that mohick really does seem to try to be as dickish as possible.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yeah I agree that the campfire is composed more of rifle looneys than hard core hunters, but we do have our share of the latter..........I love new rifles but I dont reload anymore and that alone takes me out of the serious shooter crowd, I consider Myself a trophy Whitetail hunter thats also a new rifle whore........Lol........Hb

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Ranger99
Originally Posted by okie john

Okie John

^ ^ ^ ^ THIS ^ ^ ^ ^ RIGHT ^ ^ ^ ^ HERE ^ ^ ^ ^

i'll add that too many that i've seen this day and age
seem to think it's ok to drink and handle firearms.
myself, if i wanted to drink and smoke and listen to
music or watch television, i'd do it from the safety
and comfort of my house.

I started to post a similar post on the thread the OP refers to in his opening statement. I agree with these gentlemen. Last year, on THF, there was a guy who said that he could tell who the GOOD hunters were by looking at their stand, feeder, and firearm. It would have been funny if it hadn't stirred me up a little. It seems that many deem a "serious" hunter to be one who travels the world killing all kinds of game. When I was a child here in Louisiana, before hunting clubs and little posted land, there was an old gentleman who killed good bucks every year. He wore no camouflage, shot a single shot 12 gauge, and every year could tell you how many points his opening day buck would have before opening day. He is dead and gone, but he was a serious hunter in my book...as good as it gets.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
So what distinguishes a "serious" hunter....

I think you answered it already:

I know a bunch of people at work who have been hunting since they were old enough to do so, they look forward to going hunting every year which they do without fail and always get their deer and elk. They know where to find the game, they have excellent woodsmanship and tracking skills, they hike way back into the boonies to get it and carry it out.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is a "thread" that runs through your thread. It seems most post about someone else.

Before I went to the physical therapist I could hike and hunt less than three hours before the pain was so great I could hardly make it back to the pickup. I was still as serious as I am now that I can go all day. Hunting is my reason for being in the woods and fields. Some years I seriously hunt for a trophy and pass on lesser bucks. Other years I look for a big bodied deer. When I get a doe tag I try to shoot a spike because they have more meat even if they appear to be the same size. That means I pass on a lot of opportunities to kill something. Of course that changes the last few days of the season when I will take anything legal. Even though I am an old man I still want to fill my tags. That's why I hunt.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

Here in Tejas,

[Linked Image]

whether at the range,

or at the lease

[Linked Image]

I keep a sharp eye peeled for "serious hunters"

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[quote=geedubya
[Linked Image][quote]
grin grin
laugh laugh

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Geedubya,
Love the hot tub hunting pic.
You arent doin it right tho. Hot tub huntin calls for a stainless rifle. grin

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A hungry hunter is a serious hunter.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by geedubya

Here in Tejas,

[Linked Image]

whether at the range,

or at the lease

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB

That one's got teats!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by kingston

That one's got teats!

I'm not serious enough about hunting to eat the horns!

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 01/26/17.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm not sure I'd even shoot or reload if the thought of finding a nice buck wasn't continually creeping around in the back of my head.

Hunting(and the required practice shooting) is literally my only hobby and I guess I take it somewhat seriously.

$1100 rifle...check

$700 scope/mounts....check

$400 backpack...check

$3000 bino's and spotter...check

$300 tripod...check

$500 LRF...check

$500 GPS...check

$300 boots...check

$200 merino...check

$500 of misc chit....check

Walking around with $7500 worth of junk just to look for a stinkin' deer?!

Mildly serious.

But of course there are guys that have that wrapped up just in a rifle and scope so I guess they are REALLY serious....grin

But it's a drop in the bucket compared to my buddies with $50k walleye boats!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I know some serious and very skilled hunters who use some pretty plain Jane gear, but don't think a guy falls out of that category because he becomes a bit of a rifle loony.

Just means he's interested in learning about better tools.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Walking around with $7500 worth of junk just to look for a stinkin' deer?!

And you could buy as much beef as you get from a deer for a few hundred bucks.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
what is a serious Hunter? I don't know.
All I can tell you is there are only two seasons..... hunting season and prep for hunting season.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I love the list Sam!...Mine looks very similar, but maybe the best hunter I know buy's almost all his hunting gear at Wally World.....lol......Hb

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by kellory
what is a serious Hunter? I don't know.
All I can tell you is there are only two seasons..... hunting season and prep for hunting season.
I agree 100%..........Hb

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

257 members (160user, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 2500HD, 219DW, 18 invisible), 1,756 guests, and 989 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,872
Posts18,478,754
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.