Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Guys,I am just getting into reloading and bought the Forster Coax for my first press.

Can you guys tell me if you prefer the best Forster seating dies over the best Redding seating dies? It seems they both have the sliding collar to keep the bullet aligned. I've been trying to read up and decide which micrometer die is the best.

I use both the Forster and Redding "micrometer" type seating dies. They both produce nice straight cartridges, assuming of course good brass still straight from prior processing steps and the like. The Redding is a little easier to adjust since it has an easier to read scale and doesn't require an initial roughing in step with a screwdriver adjusted stem. I haven't shopped in a while, but the Forster has been less expensive when I was buying.

Bang for buck: Forster

Small ease of use advantage: Redding

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
There is nothing I don't like about the Coax press. Nothing.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Clarkm,

Can you turn us on to the "CNC guy" who sells your improvement?

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Awesome press....

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GunReader
Clarkm,

Doing a google search, this is his name alright. I have not got an email in years.
http://brtshooterssupply.com.au/pro...housing-upgrade-non-genuine-product.html

I was able to evolve that shell holder housing into something he later wanted to CNC and sell, but he did not bite on the screw change.

[Linked Image]

I thought those screws were an improvement, too, but I guess it was not an easy CNC operation.

And they were probably at wits end reading my messy redlined sketches with coffee stains.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Can't recall ever seeing so much positive agreement about anything here.

Thanks all.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Guys,I am just getting into reloading and bought the Forster Coax for my first press.

Can you guys tell me if you prefer the best Forster seating dies over the best Redding seating dies? It seems they both have the sliding collar to keep the bullet aligned. I've been trying to read up and decide which micrometer die is the best.

I have both Redding and Forster dies. For sizing, I like the Forster dies better. They have one advantage in that they have a relief hole near the shoulder in the die. If there's too much lube on the necks, the hole allows for some compression relief and will not dent case necks. Redding does not have this.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GunReader
Clarkm,

His email and a video are at the bottom of this thread: https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6040666

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I prefer the Forster, myself. They're less money, and the Redding dies are literally a copy of the Bonanza/Forster design. Redding copied it when the patent ran out.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I don't have a Co-ax press, but I would if I needed a new press. I now use Forster-Bonanza and Redding dies almost exclusively. They are Smoother; give less neck and bullet run out; creating more accurate ammunition - everything else being the same. I can't tell any difference in the results; the Forsters are a little nicer to use.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Guess I might as well join the party--I have been using one since sometime in the 1990s. These days, the Rock Chucker gets used almost exclusively for pulling bullets.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I love mine. It's all I use for rifle loading. I use the Hornady LNL for rings for most all of my dies. Works like a champ. The Redding die rings work fine as well.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Coax has been my go to press for many years, and very happy with it. Like their dies as well. If loading a really long case, I use the Redding Ultramag.

Jeff

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Bought mine 25-30 yrs ago, still performing flawlessly. Best bang for my buck. What a great press!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (1234, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 58 invisible), 2,876 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,796
Posts18,477,374
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.