Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
There isn't much clearance between the metal of the end cap and the barrel; so I check it fairly frequently. So far - so good.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I did a CZ Kevlar and turned it into a carbine. It was nice.

I rebored a M70 and that was better.

I'm telling you, the Mauser M12 Extreme (wood if you prefer) with the factory iron sights is most impressive. The detachable magazine that can easily be loaded like a standard magazine while in place is a marvel. The trigger pretty much couldn't be better as is. The bolt functions as smoothly as a Tikka. It has a shroud mounted 3 position safety. I'm all hot and bothered now...

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
pull the CZ550FS out of the wooden stock and put it in a mcmillan and you have a fantastic hunting rifle in a first rate stock capable of just about anything you want to do. the safety on the CZ takes some getting used to but is really not an issue.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I just visited a Cabelas and there was a whole rack of Zastava M70 in 270 and 30-06. Now, I have to do 180 degree reversal. Again!!! I am lucky not to be a politician and I can change my mind. The price was 399.99. This gun is worth that all day.

I was looking at one with a guy next to me commented he might buy one just for the action. It is a honest 98 Mauser action. The metal finish was good. Real blue, no matt garbage. The crown looked right the ones I picked up. Now the stocks ... funny. They ran the gamut from plain yellow featureless wood to one that might be an honest AA walnut. I notice the wood to metal had a few minor gaps. One of the better stocks had machine chatter marks on the cheek rest. The very best wood was perfectly finished. The rear sight would need to have the notch filed open for me.

So, if I saw a 9.3x62 with AA walnut in a Zestava M70. I would slap down the plastic. I mean what the heck. See what $400 buys these days in plastic stocks and matt finish.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Stuck new glass on my 9.3 x 62 last week. VX 3, 1.5 x 5 I took in a trade. We'll see how this works. I've wanted to try one on this rifle for a while. Should fit my needs just fine!!

[Linked Image]

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Stuck new glass on my 9.3 x 62 last week. VX 3, 1.5 x 5 I took in a trade. We'll see how this works. I've wanted to try one on this rifle for a while. Should fit my needs just fine!!

[Linked Image]

How far off the stock do you have to lift your head to look through that scope?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by fourbore
I just visited a Cabelas and there was a whole rack of Zastava M70 in 270 and 30-06. Now, I have to do 180 degree reversal. Again!!! I am lucky not to be a politician and I can change my mind. The price was 399.99. This gun is worth that all day.

I was looking at one with a guy next to me commented he might buy one just for the action. It is a honest 98 Mauser action. The metal finish was good. Real blue, no matt garbage. The crown looked right the ones I picked up. Now the stocks ... funny. They ran the gamut from plain yellow featureless wood to one that might be an honest AA walnut. I notice the wood to metal had a few minor gaps. One of the better stocks had machine chatter marks on the cheek rest. The very best wood was perfectly finished. The rear sight would need to have the notch filed open for me.

So, if I saw a 9.3x62 with AA walnut in a Zestava M70. I would slap down the plastic. I mean what the heck. See what $400 buys these days in plastic stocks and matt finish.

You are right. The Zastava's are pretty rough, but well worth their asking price. The one chambered in 9.3x62mm that I had at the range shot 1 1/2" 3 shot groups with factory ammo. It did kick a lot harder than my CZ though, probably due to stock shape and it being considerably lighter than the CZ550...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

[Linked Image]

How far off the stock do you have to lift your head to look through that scope?

Not too far. Cheek hits stock just below the corner of my mouth. I can get a good weld. Works for me. Shot lots Of critters with this old rifle. Last was a nilgai cow, weekend before Christmas last. At about 50 yds. She was moving at a good trot.

Postscript. Had an old Redfield low profile 2x7 widefield on the rifle when I shot nilgai.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 02/04/17.

Founder

WS

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Cool beans man. As long as it works for you, that's all that counts. Looks like a slick old mauser to me.

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Cool beans man. As long as it works for you, that's all that counts. Looks like a slick old mauser to me.

It's that old Husqvarna 146 I rechambered Ive posted on here before. It's a good old rifle. I like It.

Founder

WS

IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I really like my Ruger with 1.75 x 5 Burris in quick detach Warne rings.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Attached Images
9.3 L.JPG (43.78 KB, 57 downloads)
9.3 R.JPG (36.8 KB, 34 downloads)

Member:
NRA
Ohio Gun Collectors Association
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
That's a nice set up Jones, do you shoot 250 gr Accubonds or 286 gr Partitions in it?

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've always liked the looks of those Rugers. Donsm70 had a very nice Ruger 9.3x62mm at one time that was an eye popper.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
If I hadn't have had my Heym 98 Mauser built before the Rugers came out, that's exactly what I'd have standing in the bolt gun safe. wink

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I like the Ruger 77's. They are damn good stout rifles and the African's are exceptionally nice for a Ruger. This is a great thread, even though it is 6 years old. Glad to see it surface.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yes, they are, have had several Ruger 77 rifles over the years, all have been tank tough and very reliable, I still have an old Ruger African in 458 WM that thinks it's a varmint rifle, that is if I'll hold it still enough while firing. shocked laugh

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by gunner500
That's a nice set up Jones, do you shoot 250 gr Accubonds or 286 gr Partitions in it?

Not so far. When I bought the rifle I was able to buy five boxes of Prvi Partizan loaded with 286 gr bullets for less than I could find 100 empty cases. They shot so well that I bought a couple hundred of the Prvi 286 gr soft points. Since then I've been using 270 gr Speers. They shoot great in my rifle, and so far deer is the only thing I,ve hunted with it. If I'm ever able to go back to Africa I'll definitely work up some loads with the Noslers. I've had Partitions shoot really well in 7 Mag and 30-06. I haven't used Accubonds in anything yet.

Member:
NRA
Ohio Gun Collectors Association
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Nice rig Jones!!!!!

Founder

WS

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

It's that old Husqvarna M146 I rechambered Ive posted on here before. It's a good old rifle. I like It.

I remember when you posted that M146 before. The forward slanted bolt handle is memorable.

Did you have to do any rail work when you rechambered to X62?
Internet postings seem split on the need to do so with M146s.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by jonesmd4
Originally Posted by gunner500

Not so far. When I bought the rifle I was able to buy five boxes of Prvi Partizan loaded with 286 gr bullets for less than I could find 100 empty cases. They shot so well that I bought a couple hundred of the Prvi 286 gr soft points. Since then I've been using 270 gr Speers. They shoot great in my rifle, and so far deer is the only thing I,ve hunted with it. If I'm ever able to go back to Africa I'll definitely work up some loads with the Noslers. I've had Partitions shoot really well in 7 Mag and 30-06. I haven't used Accubonds in anything yet.

10-4, sounds like you got a handle on it Jones. smile

Trump Won!
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

394 members (1Longbow, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 219DW, 10Glocks, 34 invisible), 2,004 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,748
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.