Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Lott, that Hong Kong eatery worthy?

Don't be shy, keep talking.

Lodging?

If you like Asian food, good place.

We stayed at the Battery Warf Hotel, pretty nice place and we walked the freedom trail from the Hotel. One of the few trips I've taken where we didn't rent a car, but given the difficulty of finding parking, I was glad to walk.

Since we were on the North end, most of the places we ate were Italian, and all of them were good.

We took a water taxi from the airport to the Hotel, IMHO worth the few extra bucks and got to see some of the city from the water.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
i enjoy Chinatown, especially on the weekend where you sit at a table with a bunch of strangers and enjoy a buffet, forgot what its called.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Springfield armory and S&W, All in.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You need to go to Plymouth and eat at the East Bay Grill
Best stuffed Lobster ever

[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Thinking about the family flying to Boston for a 5/7 day vacation.

Late May maybe June. Rental car most likely.

Whats all in that area that would be worthwhile?

No parameters, feel free.

Hi Ken,

Sure, happy to try to help with some suggestions/local knowledge for your trip. For me to be better able to help I'd need to know a bit more of what kind of things you're interested in, your budget for accommodations, etc., but below is an email I am C&P here from an email I sent to another fella here who asked about coming into town with his family.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hey again XXXX,

OK, so your staying in EB, or ‘Eastie’, as it is known to locals. Well, frankly, EB is far, far from a first choice I'd make but isn't the end of the world, so I wouldn’t worry about your choice too much. It certainly does have its seedy areas and is for the most part a very much working class neighborhood, which is fine, but it does have a few spots you should avoid. First, and this will be obvious, but stay OUT of the projects. Lots of gang activity and street crime. I’m guessing you guys will just be staying in EB, and just kind of using it as a home base.

The good things about EB for you guys is that it’s only a ten minute ride into downtown, and highways that will get you on your way to wherever you’re going. Also, if you’re flying in, EB is right next to Logan, so that part of your trip—getting in and out of the AP-- should be very easy. There are some killer views of the city in EB on the waterfront, but I’d suggest you check them out in the daytime, as many of the best views are from waterfront parks. Now I’m not trying to scare you off of the place, but as I’ve said there are some tough sections in EB where I’d not recommend out of town folks hang out in at night. It’s just the way it is.

On getting around, can I assume you all will be renting a vehicle or two? I should mention that Boston can be a very tricky city to navigate by vehicle, as you’ve probably already heard. Downtown and parts of Cambridge are probably the worst as far as out-of-towners tying to get around, what with the one ways, small streets, traffic congestion, etc. What you need to know is that EB is sort of the stepchild of the city for all intents and purposes and is the only one separated by the rest of Boston by water, namely, by Boston harbor. As such, to get in and out of the city proper you must use one of three tunnels. They are the Callahan, the Sumner and the Ted Williams. All three go in/out from Boston proper (downtown) to EB. The Callahan and Sumner lie side by side. See here:

https://www.massdot.state.ma.us/Portals/8/docs/HighlightedProjects/callahanRehab/BostonTunnels.pdf

This map depicts three Boston tunnels.1) The Sumner Tunnel ...
www.massdot.state.ma.us

The Sumner Tunnel, which carries Route 1A southbound from East Boston to Downtown Boston. The Sumner Tunnel is not part of ...

If you guys are going to be planning on spending any time for the day/night just in and around the city, I’d *strongly* recommend just taking the T (true name is MBTA but everyone knows it here as the T; our subway/public transportation system). EB is on the Blue line. Just looked at a map and see that Cottage street is close to Maverick Station, which is a stop on the Blue line. To get into Boston you’d just hop on the Blue line there and within, say, 10 minutes you guys can get downtown. You’d get off at Aquarium, State Street or Gov’t Center, depending on where you wanted to go. Parking, if you don’t know where you’re going, is both difficult and expensive downtown. It can be done, of course, but your vacation time would be better spent having fun and exploring than driving around for an hour looking for a spot where virtually none are to be had.

A few suggestions for you: in EB, a local place for great pizza is Santarpios. Been around a very long time and while pretty plain as far as décor and location, has really good food. Pizza, tips, lamb and a couple other things they offer, but that’s it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santarpio%27s_Pizza

Not sure what kind of food you all like, but here’s a decent article for places in EB to eat, if you guys want to try a couple places local to the place you're staying.

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/restaurants/blog/2014/08/05/chefs-guide-eastie/

As far as other things to do in EB, frankly, I can’t really think of many. The good news is, the rest of Boston is at your fingertips and there are tons of fun, interesting, historical and exciting things to do and see—and eat. You guys should consider at least a day trip to Cape Cod, and if fishing and taking in some pretty gorgeous beaches and coastal living is something that you all would enjoy, I'd make it a point to spend 2-3 days Capeside. But more on that later, if you like.

Back to town: actually, one stop on the Blue line gets you to Aquarium station. If you get out there it’s about a two minute walk to a ferry landing that takes day trippers to Provincetown for the day. P-Town, as it’s known, is a beautiful spot at the very tip of Cape Cod. Some dynamite restaurants (obviously known for awesome, fresh seafood but there are plenty of other choices), some great beaches, great fishing, neat shops and some weird people to gawk and laugh at.  I’ve never, ever had an issue or bad time there, but in the interest of disclosure it’s something of a stronghold for gays. But since I go to fish, eat, relax and play, not get a hate on for what others look like or choose to do with their lives, it doesn’t really bother me, though seeing a bearded guy in a miniskirt sashaying down the street licking away at a melting vanilla ice cream cone can be an bit off-putting to some. wink

If being in a place where gay people are bothers you or others in your group, it might be a good idea to avoid it, but frankly it’s well worth the effort IMO.

I’ve got to get back to work but I’ll get you more info. Write back and let me know how you guys are going to be traveling and for how long. You asked about a lobster joint. There are literally hundreds, but I’d rarely if ever order a lobster dinner in town. They charge w-a-y too much and there are so many other better options just outside of town. I don’t know if you guys are willing to travel a bit (best places I’m thinking of are not more than about 45 minutes outside of town, but again, not sure how you intend to roll and what your priorities are like or if you will be driving. I love the North Shore and a day to fool around and eat at Cape Ann, with Gloucester, Rockport and Essex is a good bet. Some nice beaches there, some cool historical stuff, especially marine stuff from times long gone. A bit further north puts you at the Newbury, Newburyport and PI (Plum Island) areas in what is now my neck of the woods. That area would be a day damned well spent in and of itself. Again, it’s about a 45 minute drive from EB. I will mention that on the way from Boston to the NH border you wil pass Salem, MA, which is for some an interesting place to stop for a drink or a bite to see some of the historical stiff they have there. Think witch trials and dunking and hangings at the stake burnings and other fun farm facts from way back when. Hawthorne's House of Seven Gables and other stuff there as well.

If scheduling would work, I could try to take the time to meet up with you guys and show you/take you to places to eat (killer lobster/seafood places) and show you places to go to hang out for the day. I have too many recommendations to list for Boston proper without knowing what kind of food you guys would like, but we do have a decent Chinatown with some great places to eat, and pretty much everything else under the sun that’s good to eat too. The North End is a must do if you guys like Italian. I’d just need to know more to be able to advise on eating. If everyone in your group is all about, say, hamburgers and pizza or pub grub, well, then you really don’t need my advice as that kind of food can be found anywhere. Don’t get me wrong, there’s a place for that kind of food and I love burgers and a good sausage and onion pie myself, but I figure that on a trip away from home you’d like to maybe try some things you can’t get, or don’t see much where you’re from.

You mentioned historical stuff. Man, well, yes this is the hub of the American Revolution (scary how far back we’ve slid since those days) and there is history everywhere. The colonists and the Pilgrims and the Redcoats and all that. You could spend a week downtown alone seeing and learning about the historical stuff here, but unless you guys are really, really into that kind of stuff, to be honest I’d just take maybe full day and stop at a few select areas of interest, maybe see Old Ironsides and the Bunker Hill area over in Charlestown, get on a Duckboat tour (or one of the other outfits) and get that scratched off the list. I think the tours are like 2-3 hours, with a ride in the Charles river (WWII era amphibious vehicles used as tour vehicles). It’s easy, convenient and I’ve heard is a pretty good time. Don’t have to worry about driving, and you get a guided drive by tour of a bunch of the historical places. Some of the tours allow for getting on and off all day, so that could be something for you to look into.

Anyway, gotta’ run. Let me know about the stuff I asked about and I’ll do my best to help you folks out, OK?

Best,

L

I read the thread and see that some have made some suggestions for you that had me cringing some, but no hate or worries from me. Some just like the touristy stuff, I guess. wink I personally can't stand that kind of stuff, but that's just me. I'm a born and raised Bostonian and I can't say I've stepped foot inside Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market in 30 years, and I've worked six blocks from it for 20 years... Anyway, as I've said I'm happy to help, but I can best help if you offer specifics. If fishing is something your group is interested in, mid-June is one of the very best times to be here, with most every species we have running, especially true for the Cape. I can get you in touch with skippers from the North Shore to the Cape who will take good care of you all and put you on fish, if you want to go that route. Probably your best bet unless you want to buy or haul fishing gear from home...

A side trip to Maine or NH--or Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket or Rhode Island for that matter-- are also fairly easy and all states and island have a lot to offer, but again, rather than sit here and let my fingers pound away without knowing what you're interested in could take me a few hours, so I'll wait until you chime in to offer any more opinions, OK?

Cheers for now.

IC B2

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Here we go.....

Lodging, decent to better. 4 people, the wife and I and two young Men 17 and 19 yo.Prefer 3 beds as the two boys are both over 6'.
Don't know what prices run per night but DC was 300 a night and not unreasonable.

Food, Seafood #1, Asian/Chinese a close 2nd. Italian so-so. Although a great pizza ranks high.

We love history, and tons of it. We enjoy walking within reason.

Really like being centrally located so all can head in any direction at any time.

Not much for nightlife regarding drinking or clubs.

Really interested in the Cape and some other day trips, rental car no problem, the "T" also no problem. Yes I do understand parking should be avoided in many areas.

Don't know about fishing as I generally consider this family time, but if something is in prime season, consider all 3 males on-board.

I haven't planned much of any thing at this point, but maybe 4 days in the Boston area and another 4 days available for another area, (Maine)? Your thoughts are welcome on this time-line.

Appreciate all and any, Ken.

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ah,,,, First week of June is the Pride parade?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Here we go.....

Lodging, decent to better. 4 people, the wife and I and two young Men 17 and 19 yo.Prefer 3 beds as the two boys are both over 6'.
Don't know what prices run per night but DC was 300 a night and not unreasonable.

Food, Seafood #1, Asian/Chinese a close 2nd. Italian so-so. Although a great pizza ranks high.

We love history, and tons of it. We enjoy walking within reason.

Really like being centrally located so all can head in any direction at any time.

Not much for nightlife regarding drinking or clubs.

Really interested in the Cape and some other day trips, rental car no problem, the "T" also no problem. Yes I do understand parking should be avoided in many areas.

Don't know about fishing as I generally consider this family time, but if something is in prime season, consider all 3 males on-board.

I haven't planned much of any thing at this point, but maybe 4 days in the Boston area and another 4 days available for another area, (Maine)? Your thoughts are welcome on this time-line.

Appreciate all and any, Ken.

OK. Your price range should be fine to find a nice place in town. If you're going to be spending 3 or maybe 4 days in and around the city, I'd suggest holding off on a rental car until you're ready to head out. Given that you folks are into historical stuff, maybe rent a vehicle on day 3, if you'd like to be able to get to places like Concord and Lexington and other stuff outside the city proper. Someone had mentioned the JQA house. Well, that ain't in Boston and it's certainly not walking distance. It's in Quincy, MA, south of Boston. You can get there on the T, but I'd go on a day I could drive.

Most of the larger hotels will have parking for guests. Marriott Boston Long Wharf, The Westin, Bostonian, Langham, Wyndham, Millenium, The W, Nine Zero, Fairmont Copley, The Taj all are centrally located downtown and would probably be good choices to look at for your purposes and budget.

Seafood and Asian? No problem. You just need to narrow that down by a few factors. wink For Asian there's Chinese (Cantonese, Szechuan, Mandarin, HK), Thai, Japanese, Malaysian, Vietnamese, Korean, Cambodian and more. Same with seafood. I'll be happy to share a bunch of suggestions for both categories later.

Being that history is high on the list, I'd give yourself maybe 3 days to see and experience it in town. That won't get you all of it, but in 3 days I think you all would be able to take in a lot of what there is, and be able to enjoy eating 2 meals out a day or more as well and spending time in the city.

I'd highly recommend taking a half day at least to check out a couple of museums. The MFA (Museum of Fine Arts) is a world class museum. The Isabella Stewart Gardner museum also is amazing, and very near one another just out on Huntington Ave near the Fens. but if I had to choose, it'd be the MFA I'd do. Truly amazing place.

June is pretty much prime time, as I said, for a lot of species here in the salt. I would pull the trigger on at least a half day. Seeing the cape from the water is a whole different and wonderful thing. Even more so when tight to a 35 pound bass, or what have you. I can make some suggestions in that area too, as far as what kinds of places you might want to look at. You could spend maybe two days capeside, then still have a couple of days to maybe head north. Stop in to check out the north shore, then maybe shoot up to Maine for a day or two to wrap up the trip before heading out. So many options. As was mentioned, you should know that timing is everything when traveling to Cape Cod. Remember this, if nothing else: DO NOT TRY TO PLAN YOUR TRIP TO TRAVEL DOWN TO THE CAPE ON A FRIDAY OR SATURDAY. Unless, of course, you want to spend up to five hours getting on, and another 3-5 getting off the Cape...

More later.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Ah,,,, First week of June is the Pride parade?

Um, how the fugg would I know? eek

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kamo_gari

Seafood and Asian? No problem. You just need to narrow that down by a few factors. wink For Asian there's Chinese (Cantonese, Szechuan, Mandarin, HK), Thai, Japanese, Malaysian, Vietnamese, Korean, Cambodian and more. Same with seafood.

Leighton, lets get something straight, I'm from Wisconsin......

We have brats.....

when we feel like living it up, We order the spicier Italian Brats,

Thai food is considered a very bold move by many here......

Seafood, is likely the pet tropical fish taken from the cloudy aquarium as you walk in the main entrance of the local Fish joint,

Pretty sure that's what did Grandma in, May she RIP.....

Know what I'm saying?

Hope you don't mind, but your in charge of food.

We're familiar with Chinese and Thai,, and brats.......

Didn't know what real seafood tasted like till byc educated me in DC. That was memorable.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Route 6A on cape cod. Get over the bridge spanning the canal and drive down the Old Road. Its a trip back in time. If your scared off by the wild life in P town head to Marconi beach or Chatam lifesaving station. Either are world class ocean views. (look for the White Sharks eating seals on the beach edge) Be sure to wander your way back on the inside of the cape or bay side. There are a few amazing overlooks in places like Dennis (Sesuit Harbor Cafe,very good clam shack or breakfast spot) and other small towns. Henry David Thoreau wrote extensively about the Bay state but his work on walking the cape is a great story. History all over the place. Plymouth Plantation is a great stop.
The Boston Area is loaded with history. Concord and the trail is well worth all the walking/ biking you can stand if you love the tale of the Minute Man.
The State House is pretty cool and the Boston Common is a beautiful place in the spring.
If you are really into history read up on Thomas Hooker and the old Connecticut Path. Hooker and a band of rabble marched out of Boston and founded Hartford (Later Home to Sam Colt, Colt building still Stands) writing what is considered to be one of the first documents resembling our Constitution. There is a great website on the path and were you can walk it. Agree completely on the Springfield Armory and S&W. Also drive by the Building where the Original Indian Motorcycle was made. Frigos Italian Market in Springfield if you need a snack for the ride.
I like the seafood. Use Yelp to find the most popular spots. Some have long waits. Good lobster is boiled and dipped in butter, preferably on the Maine coast in a place like Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound outside of Bar Harbor. Make a mess getting it all out of the shell once in your life.
Lobster Stew in Maine is always a treat. As is a real Haddock chowder made with Maine potatoes and salt pork (Just Barbs outside Belfast ME), also Fried Whole Belly clams are going to push your Dr. over the edge when you get back home but are just awesome. June is early for fresh local yellowfin tuna but when its in its the best seared just so. Rhode Island is famous for a clear chowder that is made with out milk, my favorite, Point Judith in RI(possibly avail. at Legal Seafood in Boston) But Ive eaten gallons of creamy in my life.
Fried or pan seared Calamari is never a bad choice. Sea Scallops are a staple and most chefs get them right in New England.
There is way more, but your only talking 6 to 8 days....... how much can you eat????
Indian Pudding at Durgan Park to top it off!!!! Does not matter what the reviews say. You have to try it once.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I live in Maine about forty minutes from Acadia National Park.
With that being said, I love Boston. The aquarium and the Museum of Science are both good destinations. Add a Duck Boat Tour and possibly the Freedom Trail and you will hit most of the historic sites. Three days should be ample. Head north two two hours on I-95 and take the Brunswick exit to Rt. 1. Getting on Route 1 prior to this does not really offer you much coastline and is not really worth the extra time.
From Brunswick you can follow Rt. 1 Through Rockland, Camden, Belfast and onward to Acadia National Park in Bar Harbor. This would be about a six hour day allowing for stops. Three days in the Acadia region and head back to Boston via Bangor and I-95 South. Feel free to PM me if you would like more specific help. Either way, enjoy New England.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Thinking about the family flying to Boston for a 5/7 day vacation.

Late May maybe June. Rental car most likely.

Whats all in that area that would be worthwhile?

No parameters, feel free.

Hi Ken,

Sure, happy to try to help with some suggestions/local knowledge for your trip. For me to be better able to help I'd need to know a bit more of what kind of things you're interested in, your budget for accommodations, etc., but below is an email I am C&P here from an email I sent to another fella here who asked about coming into town with his family.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hey again XXXX,

OK, so your staying in EB, or ‘Eastie’, as it is known to locals. Well, frankly, EB is far, far from a first choice I'd make but isn't the end of the world, so I wouldn’t worry about your choice too much. It certainly does have its seedy areas and is for the most part a very much working class neighborhood, which is fine, but it does have a few spots you should avoid. First, and this will be obvious, but stay OUT of the projects. Lots of gang activity and street crime. I’m guessing you guys will just be staying in EB, and just kind of using it as a home base.

The good things about EB for you guys is that it’s only a ten minute ride into downtown, and highways that will get you on your way to wherever you’re going. Also, if you’re flying in, EB is right next to Logan, so that part of your trip—getting in and out of the AP-- should be very easy. There are some killer views of the city in EB on the waterfront, but I’d suggest you check them out in the daytime, as many of the best views are from waterfront parks. Now I’m not trying to scare you off of the place, but as I’ve said there are some tough sections in EB where I’d not recommend out of town folks hang out in at night. It’s just the way it is.

On getting around, can I assume you all will be renting a vehicle or two? I should mention that Boston can be a very tricky city to navigate by vehicle, as you’ve probably already heard. Downtown and parts of Cambridge are probably the worst as far as out-of-towners tying to get around, what with the one ways, small streets, traffic congestion, etc. What you need to know is that EB is sort of the stepchild of the city for all intents and purposes and is the only one separated by the rest of Boston by water, namely, by Boston harbor. As such, to get in and out of the city proper you must use one of three tunnels. They are the Callahan, the Sumner and the Ted Williams. All three go in/out from Boston proper (downtown) to EB. The Callahan and Sumner lie side by side. See here:

https://www.massdot.state.ma.us/Portals/8/docs/HighlightedProjects/callahanRehab/BostonTunnels.pdf

This map depicts three Boston tunnels.1) The Sumner Tunnel ...
www.massdot.state.ma.us

The Sumner Tunnel, which carries Route 1A southbound from East Boston to Downtown Boston. The Sumner Tunnel is not part of ...

If you guys are going to be planning on spending any time for the day/night just in and around the city, I’d *strongly* recommend just taking the T (true name is MBTA but everyone knows it here as the T; our subway/public transportation system). EB is on the Blue line. Just looked at a map and see that Cottage street is close to Maverick Station, which is a stop on the Blue line. To get into Boston you’d just hop on the Blue line there and within, say, 10 minutes you guys can get downtown. You’d get off at Aquarium, State Street or Gov’t Center, depending on where you wanted to go. Parking, if you don’t know where you’re going, is both difficult and expensive downtown. It can be done, of course, but your vacation time would be better spent having fun and exploring than driving around for an hour looking for a spot where virtually none are to be had.

A few suggestions for you: in EB, a local place for great pizza is Santarpios. Been around a very long time and while pretty plain as far as décor and location, has really good food. Pizza, tips, lamb and a couple other things they offer, but that’s it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santarpio%27s_Pizza

Not sure what kind of food you all like, but here’s a decent article for places in EB to eat, if you guys want to try a couple places local to the place you're staying.

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/restaurants/blog/2014/08/05/chefs-guide-eastie/

As far as other things to do in EB, frankly, I can’t really think of many. The good news is, the rest of Boston is at your fingertips and there are tons of fun, interesting, historical and exciting things to do and see—and eat. You guys should consider at least a day trip to Cape Cod, and if fishing and taking in some pretty gorgeous beaches and coastal living is something that you all would enjoy, I'd make it a point to spend 2-3 days Capeside. But more on that later, if you like.

Back to town: actually, one stop on the Blue line gets you to Aquarium station. If you get out there it’s about a two minute walk to a ferry landing that takes day trippers to Provincetown for the day. P-Town, as it’s known, is a beautiful spot at the very tip of Cape Cod. Some dynamite restaurants (obviously known for awesome, fresh seafood but there are plenty of other choices), some great beaches, great fishing, neat shops and some weird people to gawk and laugh at.  I’ve never, ever had an issue or bad time there, but in the interest of disclosure it’s something of a stronghold for gays. But since I go to fish, eat, relax and play, not get a hate on for what others look like or choose to do with their lives, it doesn’t really bother me, though seeing a bearded guy in a miniskirt sashaying down the street licking away at a melting vanilla ice cream cone can be an bit off-putting to some. wink

If being in a place where gay people are bothers you or others in your group, it might be a good idea to avoid it, but frankly it’s well worth the effort IMO.

I’ve got to get back to work but I’ll get you more info. Write back and let me know how you guys are going to be traveling and for how long. You asked about a lobster joint. There are literally hundreds, but I’d rarely if ever order a lobster dinner in town. They charge w-a-y too much and there are so many other better options just outside of town. I don’t know if you guys are willing to travel a bit (best places I’m thinking of are not more than about 45 minutes outside of town, but again, not sure how you intend to roll and what your priorities are like or if you will be driving. I love the North Shore and a day to fool around and eat at Cape Ann, with Gloucester, Rockport and Essex is a good bet. Some nice beaches there, some cool historical stuff, especially marine stuff from times long gone. A bit further north puts you at the Newbury, Newburyport and PI (Plum Island) areas in what is now my neck of the woods. That area would be a day damned well spent in and of itself. Again, it’s about a 45 minute drive from EB. I will mention that on the way from Boston to the NH border you wil pass Salem, MA, which is for some an interesting place to stop for a drink or a bite to see some of the historical stiff they have there. Think witch trials and dunking and hangings at the stake burnings and other fun farm facts from way back when. Hawthorne's House of Seven Gables and other stuff there as well.

If scheduling would work, I could try to take the time to meet up with you guys and show you/take you to places to eat (killer lobster/seafood places) and show you places to go to hang out for the day. I have too many recommendations to list for Boston proper without knowing what kind of food you guys would like, but we do have a decent Chinatown with some great places to eat, and pretty much everything else under the sun that’s good to eat too. The North End is a must do if you guys like Italian. I’d just need to know more to be able to advise on eating. If everyone in your group is all about, say, hamburgers and pizza or pub grub, well, then you really don’t need my advice as that kind of food can be found anywhere. Don’t get me wrong, there’s a place for that kind of food and I love burgers and a good sausage and onion pie myself, but I figure that on a trip away from home you’d like to maybe try some things you can’t get, or don’t see much where you’re from.

You mentioned historical stuff. Man, well, yes this is the hub of the American Revolution (scary how far back we’ve slid since those days) and there is history everywhere. The colonists and the Pilgrims and the Redcoats and all that. You could spend a week downtown alone seeing and learning about the historical stuff here, but unless you guys are really, really into that kind of stuff, to be honest I’d just take maybe full day and stop at a few select areas of interest, maybe see Old Ironsides and the Bunker Hill area over in Charlestown, get on a Duckboat tour (or one of the other outfits) and get that scratched off the list. I think the tours are like 2-3 hours, with a ride in the Charles river (WWII era amphibious vehicles used as tour vehicles). It’s easy, convenient and I’ve heard is a pretty good time. Don’t have to worry about driving, and you get a guided drive by tour of a bunch of the historical places. Some of the tours allow for getting on and off all day, so that could be something for you to look into.

Anyway, gotta’ run. Let me know about the stuff I asked about and I’ll do my best to help you folks out, OK?

Best,

L

I read the thread and see that some have made some suggestions for you that had me cringing some, but no hate or worries from me. Some just like the touristy stuff, I guess. wink I personally can't stand that kind of stuff, but that's just me. I'm a born and raised Bostonian and I can't say I've stepped foot inside Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market in 30 years, and I've worked six blocks from it for 20 years... Anyway, as I've said I'm happy to help, but I can best help if you offer specifics. If fishing is something your group is interested in, mid-June is one of the very best times to be here, with most every species we have running, especially true for the Cape. I can get you in touch with skippers from the North Shore to the Cape who will take good care of you all and put you on fish, if you want to go that route. Probably your best bet unless you want to buy or haul fishing gear from home...

A side trip to Maine or NH--or Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket or Rhode Island for that matter-- are also fairly easy and all states and island have a lot to offer, but again, rather than sit here and let my fingers pound away without knowing what you're interested in could take me a few hours, so I'll wait until you chime in to offer any more opinions, OK?

Cheers for now.

KG - nice to see you posting again. Don't be a stranger. Kinda need a KG photo-essay fix as this winter has been awfully gloomy. NWS said we've only had 1 full day of sunshine since 17NOV. Your threads, be they travel or gastronomic, have a way of pulling us out of the winter blues.

Give my regards to the missus.

cf

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

Leighton, lets get something straight, I'm from Wisconsin......

when we feel like living it up, We order the spicier Italian Brats,

Seafood, is likely the pet tropical fish taken from the cloudy aquarium as you walk in the main entrance of the local Fish joint,

Ken,

First off, thanks for the giggle above; I like the imagery.

My wife spent six years of her childhood in the Green Bay area and she, her mom and baby brother born there were treated like pure gold by most all of her neighbors and the folks they met over the years there. Said she loved it there and are among her favorite memories as a kid. To this day she fondly tells stories of summers chasing rabbits in their giant yard, playing in the large house they rented --the size of which that is nonexistent in Japan, enduring hard winters and things like her mom struggling with trying to make things like soba and ramen out of spaghetti noodles for the family. Thinking of her as that young lass and being fawned over and well taken care of by folks in your part of the world makes me happy. Consider this a small token of thanks for that. wink

OK, so I'm going to assume that you guys will come for something like 8 days. For my purposes, I'm going to schedule your arrival for a Thursday. grin

Thursday:

Arrive at Logan in the early afternoon, grab up your bags and take a cab downtown, a 10 to 15 minute ride that'll run you maybe 20 beans. You can get downtown via T too, using free shuttle buses to the subway from the AP and then the Blue line subway, but instead of 10 minutes it'll likely take you an hour or maybe more, walking with luggage and dealing with surly commuters who hiss things like 'fuggin tourists!' as you smack them in the knees for the 4th time with your suitcase. Take a cab.

Arrive at hotel, get checked in. As you've instructed the kids and wife to save their appetites and not each much during the day, you all are starting to get a bit hungry. Maybe get washed up quick, then assemble the troops. You guys are heading out for a walk and to get some good food in you.

Assuming you'll be somewhere downtown, it'd make sense to maybe make your way over to the North End, checking out a few places of interest on the way over. I mentioned before that I'm not a huge fan of the Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market experience, but that said many people love it and for any into Boston for the first time it's probably a good bet to just see it. Tons of different smells, sounds, people, shops, restaurants, street performers (part of why I can't stand the place) amidst some historical stuff.

http://www.faneuilhallmarketplace.com/info/history

Walk through the markets, take in what's there.

http://www.hiexboston.com/resourcef...ll-market-place-at-massachusetts-top.jpg

http://foodietales.com/wp-content/uploads/Promenade2.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-hPcohWPXY.../p3fwAuzi-GY/s1600/20130915.IMG_7102.jpg

http://www.free-city-guides.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Boston-Quincy-Market-larger.jpg

There are lots of restaurants there, as well as food carts of many flavors, but save your appetite. Maybe spend an hour or so of walking through the place and taking it in. You will not even come close to seeing the place in an hour; you could spend an entire day there easily between the places there, but you can come back to explore and shop later, if you like. Right now you need to go eat something. Continue beyond the FH area and head in a ENE direction, heading for Thacher street in the North End. WATCH YOURSELVES CROSSING THE STREETS. Many here don't take any prisoners when it comes to pedestrians and of the other driving habits many have, ALL are bad. I'm serious about this. A busted hip would be quite a setback for your trip. NEVER assume since you have the walk light that you don't need to be paying attention.

Now, your choices are pretty wide, but just to get settled in, I don't see how your being exposed to a real, old school pie and other homemade style Italian food could be a bad thing. Place has been feeding hungry locals the same kind of food you're about to eat for almost a hundred years in the same location. If you arrive at the dinner rush hour(s), you'll likely have a wait a bit, but probably not a crazy one. Order away, but whatever you do, don't NOT order at least one pie/pizza with a couple of toppings. I like one with sausage, onion and ricotta. YMMV.

Regina Pizza
11 1/2 Thacher Street Boston.

Now, if pizza isn't what you'd like to get your family filled up with for the first Boston meal, seafood and a good percentage of anything else in the world you can think of that you'd want to actually eat can be found in the city. Seafood is a gimme', and I have some suggestions for some truly wonderful seafood to come, but your call. You want seafood every day, I can make suggestions/recommendations for that.

So, you guys are well fed and ready to head back into the fray, so back to the tour. Get thee to Hanover street, the main drag of the North End, which itself is Boston's version of NYC's Little Italy (which has been pretty much gobbled up by Chinatown at this point BTW).

It'd be fun for you guys to walk around a bit, listen to the thick Boston accents on the valet guys and the cigar smoking older local gents hanging out on the corner drinking anisette and strong coffee and speaking to each other in Italian as the sun begins to set. None of the boys looking like they're members of the mob really are, though. There is no mafia. Never has been. Just another silly urban myth... wink

Sidewalks are bustling with people getting out of work, going out to eat, having drinks and coffee at sidewalk cafes and whatnot. A fun area indeed. Walk off the main road to see some pretty amazing historical stuff. On Salem street is the Old North Church (one if by land two if by sea)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_North_Church

Paul Revere's house is also nearby. Here's a website that has some details.

http://www.northendboston.com/visit/historic-sites/

Official site:

https://www.paulreverehouse.org/

Just walking around the North End is for many a treat. Very narrow streets, many with old cobblestone, some with brick, some going up short but steep little rises. If you've seen the movie The Town, the car chase scene was filmed there.

OK, so after seeing a few places in the North End, you guys could take a stroll down to the harbor, walk along one of the wharves. Wait, being that I'd feel horrible if you guys got really unlucky and got mugged in some dark alley on a wharf, better scratch that. Better yet, maybe slowly make your way back to your hotel, maybe cutting through Boston Common on the way back. It's well lit and patrolled. Before you hit the Common you'll likely walk by the King's Chapel and the Granary Burial ground. Sam Adams, Paul Revere and lots of other patriots and notables lie interred there.

Check out the state house from there, see this out front:

https://www.nps.gov/boaf/learn/historyculture/shaw.htm

As well as the statue of Hooker and his horse. Decent site for quick looks at other local historical stuff as well.

http://boston.curbed.com/maps/boston-military-memorials-map

Don't forget to wave at Mary Dyer, either. Her stone visage and stately looking Quaker self can be seen at the state house on Beacon, just across from where the bronze of Shaw and his 54th is located.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Dyer

Since you maybe grabbed a nice dessert box of pastries while in the North End, you guys could plunk down on a bench and dig in to a cannoli, or walk along Boylston or Newbury streets and take in the sight of the city before heading back to the hotel to relax and start thinking about all the other fun and amazing and interesting things you're going to do and eat over the next week.

BTW, Mike's is good, but as was mentioned the lines oftentimes are nothing short of obscene. I think there are better choices, but that's just my opinion. Either way, if you do end up walking around the place, getting a cannoli for the fam' to try is a must. Some other options.

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/boston/north-end/the-best-cannoli-in-the-north-end

You could finish off your first day with a cocktail, beer or whatever at any of a hundred places. Or you could just call it a nice start to your trip and get a good night's sleep. You've got a busy week ahead, after all...

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hey Leighton ole buddy!

Trust me he wants seafood at darn near every sit down!!! wink

Get ready for a ride!!

David

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Walk the freedom trail! I'd skip the duck boats. The Museum of Science, the Aquarium, the MIT museum, the Gardner Museum are all good stuff.

I'd check out Harvard Sq. and the Harvard College campus, maybe have a picnic on the Charles infront of MIT (if you've got a calm day). Go to a Red Sox game.

Look me up if you've got time for a beer.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by kingston

Will do.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Good stuff Leighton, Thanks.

I'll start checking out your suggestions.

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by byc

Trust me he wants seafood at darn near every sit down!!! wink

David

Is that a bad thing? blush

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by kingston

Will do.

Dave

There's an idea.

Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (300_savage, 222Sako, 3040Krag, 257Bob, 270wsmnutt, 56 invisible), 2,752 guests, and 1,360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,685
Posts18,534,444
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.