Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by Tejano
I realize this is not a political forum but there is a very serious threat to all of us fellow hunters. The current regime in the white house has just authorized the sale of massive amounts of public land. I for one truly don't want this to happen.

My hunting days are limited but I want my sons to have some of the wonderful opportunities I have had. The future is bleak indeed.

As a concerned community we need to oppose this with everything we've got. Flame on but this is a very real concern to me.

David Boston

The above is absolutely and completely false. Trump is on the record opposing the sale or transfer of public lands; Don, Jr., is a massive supporter of sportsmen and public lands; and, SecInterior Ryan Zinke is on the record and strongly opposed to the sale or transfer of public lands.

If anything, we have a far GREATER degree of support for sportsmen and public lands in DC than we have had for decades.
To that last part, I'd agree but only with qualifications. Many in the Legislative branch are those trying to undo a very unique and valuable legacy.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
What is wrong with selling public land that no one can access?
The fly in this ointment, IMO, is how one defines access. Many consider it inaccessible if they can't drive to it.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I don't want our public lands sold. But I do want them open to drill and mine. Sell mineral leases. Set standards and enforce the standards. The people enjoy a new revenue stream and good jobs. And it is done where there was no economic production of relevance before.
On the federal leases in the Gulf of Mexico. The operator of the lease pays a lease fee determined by highest bidder then 12 % of the production. With some exceptions for royalty relief on marginal prospects. Under the Rockies are some huge prospects for oil and gas that would make a difference for our National economy, likewise in Alaska. The Oceans off the east coast are untapped. If done responsibly, everybody wins.

I don't have any faith that wholesale drilling and mining would be done without big problems on our public lands. In this era of deregulate just about everything, I especially don't trust the part about setting and enforcing standards; there is too much likelihood of fraud and corruption, or just plain error. And with the return of the idea that it's okay for coal mines to dump their mine waste and fill streams, why should we expect better on our public lands? Consider all the miles of streams polluted by existing mines.

If you want to see a mess, take a look on Wikimapia at the Bakken oil area on the MT/ND border. Looks like a bad case of acne. Lotsa money being made I assume, but Which of the public lands you hunt or fish do you want covereed with a rash of oil wells or coal mines?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by pointer
The fly in this ointment, IMO, is how one defines access. Many consider it inaccessible if they can't drive to it.

I call it inaccessible if all the land around it is PRIVATE and they only way on is to get permission to cross said private land.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
This was posted by Rock Chuck, kinda telling ain't it?

[quote=Rock Chuck]Before you scream too loudly, take a look at this map. I pulled a screen shot of a map in SE Idaho where there a quite a few small parcels listed in the bill.
white is private
yellow is BLM
pink is state
green is Nat Forest

Note that there are quite a few small BLM plots completely surrounded by private land. There are no roads to them so there is no access to them if the landowners post their land. We can't use the land, the feds can't use it. The only way to gain access is to buy the land for roads and that would cost a lot more than it's worth.
I'm sure this isn't the case with all of the affected parcels, but it does apply to a bunch of them in Idaho. Since they're landlocked, the only potential buyers are the owners of the adjacent lands.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
So the above is my definition of inaccessible ain't I don't see many flies in that ointment.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I call it inaccessible if all the land around it is PRIVATE and they only way on is to get permission to cross said private land.

What about flying in?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

What about flying in?

What part of surrounded by private land is tough to grasp?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The BLM actually trades non accessible land for accessible.It usually is not acre for acre but works out good for both parties.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, it happens just about every year in Montana.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

What about flying in?

What part of surrounded by private land is tough to grasp?
Nothing. Flying in would not require permission of crossing private land to enter, which was a qualifier in your first response. It's being done yearly in some spots with the Durfee Hills of Montana being nearly infamous for it.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Nothing. Flying in would not require permission of crossing private land to enter, which was a qualifier in your first response. It's being done yearly in some spots with the Durfee Hills of Montana being nearly infamous for it.

True, but flying in is not generally affordable which means, practically speaking, the land isn't accessible to the public.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco

True, but flying in is not generally affordable which means, practically speaking, the land isn't accessible to the public.
Hence my problem with all manner of folks having to define "accessible". Means are not a good litmus test IMO. Lots of things I cannot or choose not to afford at this time. Like a pack trip into the Bob Marshall Wilderness. Or a float plane into interior Alaska.

T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
These sales or trades are legitimate. But the land locked or isolated parcels frequently turn into sanctuaries and honey holes due to lack of hunting. When I have tags I look for these and where Elk and deer may come and go to access them as a good places to hunt.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

The drone being tested in Norway will carry 600lbs

Nytimes has an article regarding drones today-
https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2017/02/13/world/middleeast/ap-ml-dubai-passenger-drone.html?_r=0

Don't sell our children out because we can't imagine the future.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KRAKMT

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2017/02/13/world/middleeast/ap-ml-dubai-passenger-drone.html?_r=0

I'm a proponent of public lands, but that argument is weak and ridiculous.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

I don't care about your children.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You shouldn't be quoting the New York Slimes. It undermines your credibility.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Geeze,won't anyone on here consider that much federal land is badly managed? Huge wildfires, which destroy habitat or at least the desirable attributes of an area?
And why is there bad management? Because of bad federal law that paralyzes the agencies. By the time the anti-capitalist greens get done attacking a grazing right or a timber sale, the proposal is too small or costs too much, much less making a return for the taxpayers.
It is a simple fact that you can get more good work done, if the work somehow pays for itself. This is possible. It happens ALL the time on state-run lands, usually by a constitutional mandate. Indian tribes accomplish the same, in a balanced manner of benefit and consequence.
More important, for tribes and states, the policies are mainly controlled and influenced by those most affected by the benefits and consequences of these policies. That is at the root of self-government.
On federal lands, the policies are set thousands of miles away by those with the best lobbyists.
I live in Montana, and I can show anyone here physical proof that state lands are better managed and more productive overall than the federal estate. In fact, in comparison, the condition of federal lands to state parcels is criminal. Just terrible, across vast reaches of ground.
I know it's nice to pretend we're in a pristine environment, but the historic reality, from even before the white eyes showed up, is that the American landscape evolved and appears as it does today because of human management aimed at increasing game productivity through the timed use of set fires. That's management.
Deliberately managed vegetation on both open and forested habitat almost always provides more forage and cover for game. America's environment actually EVOLVED that way, for Gosh sake, and federal management by neglect doesn't cut the mustard. States can, and often, do a better job of doing the things we want to see happen.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's not just the bad federal law and lawsuits by greenies that hamstring the federal agencies tasked with managing the lands. Those federal agencies have been infiltrated and staffed by greenies who can't/won't properly manage the lands.

Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 72 invisible), 2,571 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,090
Posts18,482,931
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.