Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Grimace Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Anyone own one of these spotting scopes that could comment? I am going to buy a new spotting scope for hunting out west and prefer the bigger scopes. I'm looking for validation on the side by side comparison I did with a few scopes. For my eyes, I liked the FOV and 'flatness' of the entire picture compared to the Swarovski ATS 80 (both at 60X) and the Vortex Razor (60X again). I was at Cabelas so this was the 20-70 fixed eyepiece version that they carry.

Does anyone have some real world experience with this scope to validate what I saw in the store? I was pretty impressed.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
From another thread......

Originally Posted by JGRaider
I've personally had my S2 side by side with the Kowa 884 Prominar, one of the best spotters on the planet. I kept the S2, sold the 884....it's that good.

Here's what Outdoor life said about it in 2013...

http://www.petersenshunting.com/featured/bes-spotting-scopes-of-2013/

Using the 30–60X WA EP, the field 
of view was incredible with virtually undetectable color fringing. This is a damn fine scope. The image is expansive. Controls are easy to manipulate but a bit stiff when fine-tuning.

The MeoStar offers a very sharp, crisp image with a hint of warm tint. In fact, this scope posted near-perfect scores during the two 100-yard resolution tests. Edge sharpness was excellent, but missed perfection due to curvature at the very edge of the field. Normally, a wide-angle EP gives up eye relief, but not with this one. Four-eyed observers rejoice.

Color fidelity was true and even better than the more expensive Nikon EDG. The friction in the adjustment wheel is perfect, and the MeoStar offers a perfect weight balance, which translates to minimal 
image distortion when panning, focusing, or tracking moving objects.

At 46X, we observed reduced brightness, but sharpness remained excellent through 58X. It was no problem reading signage placed at one mile. In fact, it bested the Leica in this aspect of our comparison. The Meopta is an incredible optic. It’s so good some of our testers almost preferred the Meopta to the mighty Swarovski. That says a lot.

Priced at $2,200—less than Leupold’s GR—the MeoStar earns our Best Buy Award for offering an image that rivals scopes costing twice as much.

SCORE: 93
Price: $2,200

[Linked Image]

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Best spotter I have ever looked through including Swarovski and all the others. Getting one is a priority for me

G
Grimace Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Thanks JG. I was blown away by it too. It was so good, it made the ATS and Razor look very similar to me. Do you own the S2 or the Cabelas model? Curious which eyepiece you have?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The Meopta/ Cabelas spotter is awesome. And to my eyes- I also definitely thought it was better than the Swaro 80 ATS when doing an in depth comparison. And it was not a hard to call decision. Even my wife who does not know beans about optic companies thought the Meopta was better when I had her look through the two of them.

Get the Meopta one- and you will be happy.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the Meopta S2 spotter and have the 30-60WA and the 20-70 eyepieces. I use the WA eyepiece more and I get some amazing digiscope video through it

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Drum, what's your digiscoping setup?

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
G
Grimace Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Wow. That's very clear video. Is that with an iPhone?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No sir, it's an Olympus TG-4 camera and a special adaptor that I had built

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Great video, thanks for sharing it. How far were the deer in the video?

G
Grimace Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
What scope cover are you guys using? I will be getting the angled scope.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SCRUBS
Great video, thanks for sharing it. How far were the deer in the video?

About 200 yards. Had great light and no heat waves

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Cool stuff Drum. Very good quality IMO.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by huntsonora
I have the Meopta S2 spotter and have the 30-60WA and the 20-70 eyepieces. I use the WA eyepiece more and I get some amazing digiscope video through it

I know this is an old thread, but one of the few I can find on this scope and both eyepieces. I just found a sick deal on this spotter with an eyepiece. I was wondering if you (if you see this) or anybody else can give me a few comparisons on both eyepieces? I know the 30-60 is wide-angle and the 20-70 probably has more a looking-through-a-tunnel effect. But is the 20-70 that much more narrow in terms of edge-to-edge image? Is it usable at 60/70 power?

I'm using this spotter for long-range shooting past 1,000 yards. Like 1200-1500 yards. And I need to be able to see and spot misses on steel targets at that distance. So it's not like I need to find deer hiding on a hillside.

This looks like such a great optic. And I found a killer deal so I jumped on it. But I still have time to decide which eyepiece.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have the S2 with the 20-70x. I experience no tunneling at all on any power. As you're well aware, mirage, heat waves, etc are a killer for long range spotting, and you'll fight it with this scope too, but that's obviously no fault of the optics. This is world class stuff that takes a back seat to nothing at any price, with the very small exception of the modular Swaro spotters that sell for $4k +. Yes, the 70x is usable in some limited situations, once again whe the atmosphere is cooperating. Around here, about 15% of the time.

Good luck, you chose well.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I have the S2 with the 20-70x. I experience no tunneling at all on any power. As you're well aware, mirage, heat waves, etc are a killer for long range spotting, and you'll fight it with this scope too, but that's obviously no fault of the optics. This is world class stuff that takes a back seat to nothing at any price, with the very small exception of the modular Swaro spotters that sell for $4k +. Yes, the 70x is usable in some limited situations, once again whe the atmosphere is cooperating. Around here, about 15% of the time.

Good luck, you chose well.

Thanks! Hmm... still have no clue which eyepiece to get haha. Right now I have the 30-60 WA on order. The shop has the 20-70 in stock. What's the difference between both eyepieces when they are both set to 50x, for example?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I went with the 20-70. I don't need the wide angle because I'm not sitting there looking for an animal. Just target shooting. And while I couldn't find any real reviews of the S2 with the 20-70, I did find lots of reviews of the Nightforce version, which is basically the same scope and it uses the 20-70. And it seems to get great reviews, so I took the plunge on the S2. Should be here in a week.

I also got the whole package new for $1800 haha!

Last edited by FourT6and2; 02/07/17.
G
Grimace Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I compared both lenses and preferred the 20-70 for hunting. It has been a great setup for me. Enjoy!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 66 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,596
Posts18,492,216
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.