Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
As a staunch Calvinist Christian I applaud this effort. Yes a large majority of us have faith in things that are not provable or disprovable by physical evidence and this is neither the exclusive domain of the right nor of the left. The left believes that a person can be a woman trapped in a man's body, and that Earth will become uninhabitable because of the effects of anthropogenic global warming.

Houston-area lawmaker files creationism bill
Andrea Zelinski | February 3, 2017

AUSTIN -- A Houston-area state lawmaker has filed a bill to ensure science teachers have "academic freedom" to introduce ideas such as creationism in the classroom without fear of reprisal.

House Bill 1485, filed this week by Rep. Valoree Swanson, R-Spring, would require elected education officials and school leaders to assist teachers presenting scientific subjects that "may cause controversy," specifically climate change, biological evolution, the origins of life and human cloning.

"Teachers should have the freedom to investigate and teach evidence-based science, including strengths and weaknesses of scientific theories, in order to instill scientific critical thinking skills in their students," Swanson said in a press release.

The bill amounts a "get out of jail free card to maverick teachers," said Glenn Branch, deputy director of the National Center for Science Education, Inc., which watchdogs legislative attempts to permit the teaching of creationism. He said the bill would block administrators and school boards from reprimanding teachers who focus science teachings on divine creation, even though the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled teaching creationism is an unconstitutional endorsement of religion.

According to the bill, the legislation is not meant to promote any religious or nonreligious doctrine.

The bill is nearly identical to a law supported by creationists in Tennessee in 2012, and similar to a Louisiana law passed in 2008. Texas is one of four states so far this year to introduce such legislation, along with Indiana, Oklahoma and South Dakota.

Swanson, a freshman legislator, filed the bill the day after the State Board of Education took a preliminary vote against teacher recommendations to strike high school curricula requiring students to weigh scientific explanations to several issues of biology, which critics say hint at creationism. The board reiterated its decision Friday and will hear public testimony in April before taking a final note on the standards.

http://m.chron.com/news/politics/texas/article/Creationism-bill-filed-in-Texas-10907169.php

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions

A positive attitude will not solve all your problems,
but it will annoy enough people to make it a worthwhile effort.

GB1

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
let the process run it's course.

just today, it's apparent the whole Milky Way Galaxy is headed face first into an area of the Universe that hasn't yet been fully described or visited.

if one believes the news media reporting on the latest information.

there's lot's going on that is not yet fully understood.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Fantastic.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Teachers should have the freedom to investigate and teach evidence-based science, including strengths and weaknesses of scientific theories, in order to instill scientific critical thinking skills in their students," Swanson said in a press release

Automatically disqualifies creationism in any of its guises....

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Creationism.. Explain it to any other educated human, on any other continent and you will be laughed straight out the room!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Creationism needs to be taught in churches, it has no place in a public school.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MojoHand
"Teachers should have the freedom to investigate and teach evidence-based science, including strengths and weaknesses of scientific theories, in order to instill scientific critical thinking skills in their students," Swanson said in a press release

No sir it does not.

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Just what we need - a national side track to this bs.

Thanks Texas!

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
what we have is a situation in which we don't know where we are, don't know from whence we came, and most certainly don't know where we are headed next. agreed?

therefore, what is the Story? does anyone know for sure? of course not. it's all conjecture.

place your bets, the game is on. ok?

listen to the brightest minds in the business, the theoretical physicists, and listen to them and their Stories that they tell us. and then decide, ok?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

You're showing ignorance here. Creationists and Evolutionist use the same scientific facts. It is a matter of world view that tells the scientists what to make of the evidence.

Consider Dr. Jason Lisle. He has a Ph.D in astrophysics. While working for the US government he made some original discoveries in the sun. I heard him in a lecture say, "Evolution is a superstition with zero evidence." No reasonable person would doubt his credentials as a scientist.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Northman
Creationism.. Explain it to any other educated human, on any other continent and you will be laughed straight out the room!

I will challenge you to something I often use. Give me one Ph.D physical scientist who after getting his doctorate as a Creationist and became an evolutionist and I will give you a dozen Ph.D Evolutionists who after they earned their doctorate became Creationists. It happens every year, but the reverse doesn't seem to happen.

The idea of nothing becoming something and then turning into conscientiousness is suppose to be science. It sounds more like a fairy tail. On the other hand one starts with Infinite Intelligent Energy and it makes rational sense.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Ringman

You're showing ignorance here. Creationists and Evolutionist use the same scientific facts. It is a matter of world view that tells the scientists what to make of the evidence.

Consider Dr. Jason Lisle. He has a Ph.D in astrophysics. While working for the US government he made some original discoveries in the sun. I heard him in a lecture say, "Evolution is a superstition with zero evidence." No reasonable person would doubt his credentials as a scientist.

omg. once again w/feeling. superstition/majic/supernatural/metaphysical/mystical/almighty creator?

seriously folks, are things at risk of getting out of hand? i mean we have a pattern of behavior down here on the earth that we need to accept and prescribe our actions to...

the scientists are working overtime trying to make sense of it all, and help us progress forward. the theologian types seem to be holding back and sayin' i told ya so. told us what? we're overpopulating the earth, and no body gives a good gd?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
grin

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It had to start somehow.

What's wrong with Creationism as the genesis (pun intended) and evolution as the mechanism of change? That's my belief, anyway.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
It had to start somehow.

What's wrong with Creationism as the genesis (pun intended) and evolution as the mechanism of change? That's my belief, anyway.
P

the hindus over in india are in the process of building the tallest temple in the world...

they don't share our commonly accepted views..

maybe it didn't have to start??? maybe it always was?? i don't know, and don't claim to know.

all the folks who throw out beliefs as the "facts" just about wear a lot of us folks out, because they're overwhelming us w/stuff that we can't refute nor accept as true.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

...and right on queue...

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Gus
It had to start somehow.

P

the hindus over in india are in the process of building the tallest temple in the world...

maybe it didn't have to start??? maybe it always was?? i don't know, and don't claim to know.

all the folks who throw out beliefs as the "facts" just about wear a lot of us folks out, because they're overwhelming us w/stuff that we can't refute nor accept as true.

I sure don't have any answers and I only hold to what I believe, I won't force it on you. I just want to be left alone to worship as I see fit. If the Hindus are good with polytheism and sleeping Brahma, I am too. It's when the swords come out that I get nervous.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Infinite Intelligent Energy

OK I'll bite. Define each word separately. Then define the phrase. Humor me.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Gus
It had to start somehow.

P

I sure don't have any answers and I only hold to what I believe, I won't force it on you. I just want to be left alone to worship as I see fit. If the Hindus are good with polytheism and sleeping Brahma, I am too. It's when the swords come out that I get nervous.
P

true enough, with me as with you. the Almighty Creator sounds like a good way to go. Great Spirit is another. maybe there's dozens more, i don't know. in terms of swords, i hope they're forged of solingen and/or sheffield steel. lol.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Creationists prove Darwin was right.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

505 members (1lessdog, 160user, 1234, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 35 invisible), 18,691 guests, and 1,398 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,946
Posts18,539,373
Members74,051
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.