Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I had a custom rifle in 300 WSM built by a renowned maker & have had more trouble with load work than I ever had with my Sako 85 Finnlight 300 WSM. In fact, the Sako is the most reliably accurate rifle I own.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
See if you can find someone that has legged out and is distinguished. Let them shoot a few 5-shot groups, w/ premium ammo, before spending big dollars n barrels and stocks. If their findings duplicate yours, then so be it. But if not, it may be something as simple as fit of the rifle could be off enough for you to add torque to the rifle. Have seen quite a few, who can shoot some rifles fairly well, but others, not so good. Then someone else grabs that same rifle, and can shoot bughole groups.

Last edited by GaryVA; 02/12/17.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I called Euro-Optic and asked them if the rifle was SS and coated and they said they didn't know! They said the rifles started out SS and coated and then changed to non SS and they couldn't tell! Seemed like a [bleep] up answer as I wanted a 308 because it has a 22" barrel and Soft Touch stock, it was also $100 more than a 30-06 (I have 7 30-06's)so I didn't but it.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Well Nick,
How do you KNOW that for sure?

The bolt is definitely stainless as well as the magazine.

The only reason I KNOW for sure is a good friend of mine works for Beretta USA. I feel confident he knows his product.

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
They do shoot the rifles under the factory. They shoot tens of 1,000's of rounds for R&D and trying to get a failure...all the while listening to "death metal". I've had a lot of Sako rifles and all of them shot well. The two Finnlights I own are easily the most accurate rifles I own. The 243 would make many custom rifles blush.....

As for the price being lower than the finnlight, beretta always makes "special run" items when they have extra parts laying around. I guess they have Sako do the same. The black when it first hit the market it was as expensive as FL maybe more. They never caught on...EO now sells for a deal. My buddy Hamrick commented earlier. His is a 6.5x55 and it too will make custom rifles blush.

I've never owned an 85. I stopped at 75's and prefer them. I did change the stock on the 3 Sako Stainless rifles I have. All wear mcbros Sako hunter stocks. I have one aIII classic that is wood and beautiful.

As for a 85 being picky and inconsistent, I have one other buddy that had a hell of a time getting his to shoot under the size of a tennis ball. I think he ended up getting it squared away. I'd have to check. He still has the rifle....so must be square.

If you're on the fence, go for it. You'll love the rifle.

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Sounds like euro optic is as confused as this post. When I called them to inquire this fall, the gentleman (who seemed like he had his [bleep] together) stated categorically that they were *not* stainless.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Funny - I have a Black Synthetic in 308 and love it. It is very accurate, and took little fiddling with Optilocks and a Leupold 6x42 to get it to shoot.

I have had it out hunting where it was pretty much wet for a week and have had no corrosion issues; fyi. I would be curious to know definitively whether it's coated stainless or CM, not that it makes a difference really.

Last edited by sigguy; 02/12/17.
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by sigguy
I would be curious to know definitively whether it's coated stainless or CM, not that it makes a difference really.

Exactly, makes no difference to me. I was simply curious.

I'm taking Nick's word for it.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by d500lnn
As for the price being lower than the Finnlight, Beretta always makes "special run" items when they have extra parts laying around. The black.....never caught on...EO now sells for a deal.

I remember several years back when the same happened with the .338 Federal chambering. Those rifles were selling for $600. I considered buying one and having it re-barreled in a 22" 308. But, I talked myself out of it figuring eventually Sako would do so. Now they have.

Robert E. Lee
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I called shortly after these rifles showed up priced to sell at Eurooptic and was told that they were Blued non-Stainless. If they were nitrided SS or some other such coating on SS I would have bought one immediately. As it was I was told that they'll were the Blued version of the FL, and the price does seem to match that claim.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I'm not sure either way. I spoke to my beretta buddy again. He said it may be carbon steel. Euro bought them "cheap" (nothing they have is cheap) because they bought all of them they had left. Either way, they are great rifles for right around a grand.

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 007FJ, 58 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,532
Posts18,491,216
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.