Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 26 of 32 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 31 32
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
More on Foliated Basalt
An Excerpt :

Like other ophiolites, the Smartville ophiolite contains large amounts of serpentine and other ultramafic rocks, along with gabbro, basalt, and other mafic rocks. Basalt in the Smartville ophiolite sometimes takes the form of pillow lava, a billowing shape caused when lava erupts under the ocean and is rapidly cooled by the ocean water.

Link: https://localwiki.org/yuba-sutter/Smartville_ophiolite

Smartville ophiolite

The Smartville ophiolite is an ophiolite (a large expanse of rocks from the ocean floor exposed on the surace of dry land) that passes through much of the northern California foothills, reaching from northwestern Lake Oroville southeast to Cameron Park. Its western edge passes slightly east of Palermo and Loomis, and its eastern edge passes slightly east of Nevada City. In Yuba County, it passes through Browns Valley, Brownsville, Challenge, Dobbins, Frenchtown, Greenville, Loma Rica, Oregon House, Rackerby, the Spenceville State Wildlife Area, and of course the town of Smartsville, for which it is named.

The theory of plate tectonics holds that the North American continental plate has been moving gradually west ever since North America broke away from the supercontinent Pangaea during the time of the dinosaurs. While moving west, the North American continental plate collided with several large prehistoric islands, which then became attached to the continent. Most of the land in California comes from these large prehistoric islands. In fact, the Mojave desert region is the only part of California that was originally part of the North American continental plate.

In a few areas, part of the ocean floor that had previously separated those prehistoric islands from the continent was pushed up and became part of the continental surface. These areas of former ocean floor are called ophiolites. The Smartville ophiolite is one of several major ophiolites in California.

Ophiolites are found in all the major mountain ranges of the world. The need to explain how fossils of prehistoric sea creatures ended up on high mountaintops played a major role in the development of the theory of plate tectonics. Additionally, much of what scientists know about the ocean floor comes from studying ophiolites, because ophiolites are so much more accessible than the land that's still under the ocean.

Like other ophiolites, the Smartville ophiolite contains large amounts of serpentine and other ultramafic rocks, along with gabbro, basalt, and other mafic rocks. Basalt in the Smartville ophiolite sometimes takes the form of pillow lava, a billowing shape caused when lava erupts under the ocean and is rapidly cooled by the ocean water.

For information about the unusual effects that serpentine and other ultramafic rocks have on plant growth, see the Serpentine page. Gabbro and other mafic rocks can have similar but milder effects on plant growth.

Last edited by crossfireoops; 02/15/17.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Has it been 60 minutes yet?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
That's an interesting statement, since basalt can't be foliated - it's igneous.

Per my posted yesterday:

According to available geological maps, the Oroville Dam is build on the Smartville ophiolite, consisting of dark grey, steeply-dipping and strongly foliated metamorphic rocks. Once of volcanic origin, erupted in an ancient sea, the rocks were uplifted and metamorphosed during the formation of the Sierra Nevada.

OK,...let's hear it.
WTF, Over ?

Yep - foliated metamorphic rock. Basalt is igneous - not metamorphic. If basalt goes through the metamorphic process, it becomes...something other than basalt. Hence, my "interesting statement" statement. But didn't I follow that up with "never mind that"?

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
More on Foliated Basalt
An Excerpt :

Link: https://localwiki.org/yuba-sutter/Smartville_ophiolite

Smartville ophiolite

The Smartville ophiolite is an ophiolite (a large expanse of rocks from the ocean floor exposed on the surace of dry land) that passes through much of the northern California foothills, reaching from northwestern Lake Oroville southeast to Cameron Park. Its western edge passes slightly east of Palermo and Loomis, and its eastern edge passes slightly east of Nevada City. In Yuba County, it passes through Browns Valley, Brownsville, Challenge, Dobbins, Frenchtown, Greenville, Loma Rica, Oregon House, Rackerby, the Spenceville State Wildlife Area, and of course the town of Smartsville, for which it is named.

The theory of plate tectonics holds that the North American continental plate has been moving gradually west ever since North America broke away from the supercontinent Pangaea during the time of the dinosaurs. While moving west, the North American continental plate collided with several large prehistoric islands, which then became attached to the continent. Most of the land in California comes from these large prehistoric islands. In fact, the Mojave desert region is the only part of California that was originally part of the North American continental plate.

In a few areas, part of the ocean floor that had previously separated those prehistoric islands from the continent was pushed up and became part of the continental surface. These areas of former ocean floor are called ophiolites. The Smartville ophiolite is one of several major ophiolites in California.

Ophiolites are found in all the major mountain ranges of the world. The need to explain how fossils of prehistoric sea creatures ended up on high mountaintops played a major role in the development of the theory of plate tectonics. Additionally, much of what scientists know about the ocean floor comes from studying ophiolites, because ophiolites are so much more accessible than the land that's still under the ocean.

For information about the unusual effects that serpentine and other ultramafic rocks have on plant growth, see the Serpentine page. Gabbro and other mafic rocks can have similar but milder effects on plant growth.

I haven't had my coffee yet and I'm feeling a little dense - but I read that whole link (a wiki? come on...) and saw no mention of foliated anything.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I haven't had my coffee yet and I'm feeling a little dense - but I read that whole link (a wiki? come on...) and saw no mention of foliated anything.

No, I'm not going to "come on",....the two treatises I put up are of excellent quality and veracity, and I GAFRA whether you like my using wiki or not. There are VOLUMES of excellent material about the area discussed
Got things to do, and have little or no time for debating with somebody to lazy to do a little research about regional surface geologies before pontifificating like a over inflated gas bag.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So, it doesn't matter that "foliated" isn't even part of that?

I get it. It doesn't matter whether we get the details right or not, as long as we blow hard enough.

This dam may be in danger of causing a flood (I believe it is), but it isn't going to be the catastrophic total failure that Teton was - not because of this spillway trouble. The irony of all the angst here is that before the dam was built, seasonal floods were common. One could argue that those floods were better for the environment....but I'm thinking you aren't going down that road.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The reason all this matters, re comparisons to Teton, is that the two are completely different events. Teton's leak started low on the dam - the earth fill part - at its junction with the bedrock canyon wall. The erosion was entirely in the fill material. Teton's spillway was situated in a very similar manner to Oroville's, on a projecting ridge next to the dam proper. The flow of the breach, when it blew out, was actually scouring the edge of that bedrock as the dam was collapsing, but the bedrock didn't crumble away. Even though it wasn't the best of structural materials (as subsequently admitted). The force of that catastrophic flow didn't seem to have much effect on it.

At Oroville, the erosion is starting outside of the fill area and has some concrete and bedrock to get through before the dam. Not impossible at all, but even at that, it will be a top-down erosion - not blowing out the middle, as in Teton.

I'm afraid the massive annihilation of Californians dreams of some on this thread just isn't gonna happen.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I like how they discuss the problem, while repeating the dam is in no danger, while if the achilles heel fails, the dam will be left standing holding back a wall of air.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Since I wasn't there when they drilled core samples or poured the spillways, I have no idea what the composition of the bedrock below might or might not be, nor the depth of said "bedrock"...but, by all means, keep the comments flowing...speculation is never not entertaining...yeah, I know...I read it on the innernet...blah, blah, blah....

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by sse
I like how they discuss the problem, while repeating the dam is in no danger, while if the achilles heel fails, the dam will be left standing holding back a wall of air.

Wrong...if the spillways had experienced total failure, most of the water behind the dam would still be there...

IC B3

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Originally Posted by sse

Wrong...if the spillways had experienced total failure, most of the water behind the dam would still be there...

How do you know that?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Yup, and people do not realize how lucky folks were the Teton Dam collapsed while being filled instead of 130' below the top. The next 100' was a Hell of a lot more water than the first.

There was also similar "bedrock" there that was the problem. And it was volcanic tuff as I recall with better properties than foliated basalt.

That's an interesting statement, since basalt can't be foliated - it's igneous. But never mind that - the bedrock at Teton wasn't tuff anyway, it was rhyolite, as is much of the bedrock in Idaho.

The fact is that the bedrock at Teton had fissures (typical of rhyolite) that weren't grouted sufficiently (if that is even possible), and the dam failed from low on one side. So the bedrock under Teton dam was not better than, or even similar to, what is under Oroville. And the dynamics of that dam failure were not in any way comparable to what is happening at Oroville (at this time).

Not long after the collapse of the dam I was taking an advanced geology course not too far from the site. The class took a roadtrip to look at what happened. That was a long time ago and my memory could have slipped a bit.

So I looked it up:
http://www.geol.ucsb.edu/faculty/sylvester/Teton_Dam/narrative.html

The volcanic rock at the dam site consists of hard, welded, rhyolitic ash-flow tuff dated at 1.9 million years. Along the axis of the dam, the tuff ranges in thickness from about 50 feet in the left side of the channel section to more than 500 feet under the right abutment. The tuff is underlain by sedimentary rocks which are not exposed along the dam axis but were encountered in exploratory drill holes. On the left side of the canyon bottom, an erosional remnant of an intracanyon basalt flow overlies the tuff. On the right side of the canyon, the basalt and tuff are overlain by a thick accumulation of young alluvium. A thin layer of older alluvium is also intercalated between the tuff and the basalt.

The tuff in the right abutment is foliated and strongly jointed. The joints consist of both high-angle and low angle joints. The dominant high-angle joints are spaced from a few feet to about 10 feet apart, whereas the low-angle joints are generally widely spaced except in the upper 70 to 100 feet of the abutment. There the closer spacing results in a platy structure. After the dam failure, some of the joints were observed to be tight, others open as much as 5 inches. Some joints are lined with calcite, others are filled with silt and rubble.

----------------------------------------------

So there is rhyolite in it, but it is welded tuff.

I did confuse the foliated "bedrock" at the Oroville dam for basalt... as this is the initial filling of the dam all the way to overflowing it is putting a new test on lousy underpinnings.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by sse

Even if 'most' was left behind the dam, the predicted top 30' would be a huge disaster.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FreeMe
The reason all this matters, re comparisons to Teton, is that the two are completely different events. Teton's leak started low on the dam - the earth fill part - at its junction with the bedrock canyon wall. The erosion was entirely in the fill material. Teton's spillway was situated in a very similar manner to Oroville's, on a projecting ridge next to the dam proper. The flow of the breach, when it blew out, was actually scouring the edge of that bedrock as the dam was collapsing, but the bedrock didn't crumble away. Even though it wasn't the best of structural materials (as subsequently admitted). The force of that catastrophic flow didn't seem to have much effect on it.

At Oroville, the erosion is starting outside of the fill area and has some concrete and bedrock to get through before the dam. Not impossible at all, but even at that, it will be a top-down erosion - not blowing out the middle, as in Teton.

I'm afraid the massive annihilation of Californians dreams of some on this thread just isn't gonna happen.

The reason it did not have much effect on it was the much softer dam materials gave way very fast leading the flow away from the bedrock.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by sse

Even if 'most' was left behind the dam, the predicted top 30' would be a huge disaster.

And once they lose basic integrity the whole thing would likely wash out.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Have not been following this closely, but whoever drafted the "60-minute imminent failure" header should be punished.

1Minute
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The lake behind the dam is immense. I hope the rainy weather expected for the next week is not too bad, but reports from the coast are measuring the rainfall in inches.

Last edited by sse; 02/16/17.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by sse

And once they lose basic integrity the whole thing would likely wash out.

Of course. It would make the main spillway hole look like a divot. But, I was just responding to the singular statement as if most of the water left means no consequence of 'loosing' the top.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Oroville, CA weather:

https://www.wunderground.com/q/zmw:95965.1.99999

Active Advisory: Flood Warning, Flash Flood Watch, Hydrologic Statement Active Notice: Flash Flood Watch

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
5" in the next 6 days, only predictions, but...

Page 26 of 32 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 31 32

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 11point, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,841 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,385
Posts18,469,617
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.