Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 20 of 32 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 31 32
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Yeah, I'll give it to Butte county, Brown didn't even win there.

Unfortunately, they know what the rest of the flyover states know.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by 340boy
Greg,
It looks more like a giant sinkhole to me. God help those people.

FLAT perfectly sloped soil after a torrent carved that hole,...nope, the triangular shaped sloped material is a CONCRETE structure, mate. looks to be where it ends,
...that or some of it's GONE.

TC

I've lost track - which photo are you speaking of?

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Condensed version

.I'll make a prediction,...... that once the waters recede, we'll see that not only wasn't the main spillway ever in danger of being compromised, but the "emergency" spillway wasn't either...blah , blah, blah, etc....crazy schitt...

yes, there certainly is some crazy schitt audible this AM

whistle

What everybody will eventually find out is how close to the equivalent of a friggin' nuclear bomb going off that it really was. I'm not a religious man but Thank God the worst didn't occur.

The Sheriff of Butte County did the right thing in issuing the mandatory evacuation order.

IMHO, it won't be all clear until they get the lake down another hundred feet plus. Odds are we're safe enough for now though.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
that gem about water and debris flowing back upstream to clog the turbines was pretty funny....

Funny ?
You really ARE a bit lost as regards some pretty BASIC hydraulics, aren't you.

You ever seen the bouyed "chain curtains" that are hung in front of the turbine discharges at MOST hydro dams ?
Worked on them during emergency shutdowns to clear logs that made it over a spillway
.....and then were SUCKED back up stream by the vortices ?
soaked to the bloody bone and freezing your nuts off while trying to wield a heavy exothermic torch ?

I doubt it,.....

Maybe you oughta' grab your stash and head for Oroville to calm everybody with your nonsense, it's not going to sell well here, Bud.

GTC

I'm not gonna start hurling insults, but the way I understood that post had nothing at all to do "buoyed" steel curtains in front of turbines....it was the suggestion that somehow the river level below the dam was high enough to force water and debris back up into the turbines and back uphill into the lake....it's IMPOSSIBLE for that to happen...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting that Pat Brown resided over the planning, financing and construction over the dam.

And his son Jerry Brown resided over the maintenance, and both appeared to have failed.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No one said anything about back to Lake level... it is about stalling turbines due to erratic flow and compromised outlets. Plenty enough to get crap back into the turbines.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by fish head

The Sheriff of Butte County did the right thing in issuing the mandatory evacuation order.

IMHO, it won't be all clear until they get the lake down another hundred feet plus. Odds are we're safe enough for now though.

I totally agree with this part...but it was also a situation that was caused by the DWR operators who made the bad decision to reduce the flows enough to allow water over the emergency spillway in the first place...there are reports from a LONG ways back that address the erosion that would happen from the emergency spillway and a concrete "apron" had been proposed YEARS ago.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RufusG
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by irfubar
Crossfire,

I have read they had to shut the flow off through the turbines because the debris and flow down the main spillway has reversed the the flow in the river below the dam and the generators will be damaged because the water cant flow out?

Not sure if this is true and I have no knowledge about such things, just passing on what I read.

This is Higbeans back yard maybe he has more and better info?

That doesn't seem to make sense. The water going into the turbines comes in far below the level of the spillway, and IIRC the intake is screened. If they've had to shut down the turbines, there must be something else to it.

It's been several decades since I toured the interior of the facility and can't remember - isn't there a bypass?

I read the same thing; elevated river levels compromising the discharge flow from the plant.

Well, this is starting to make some sense,....

A.) The backwash / reverse flow / elevated river level from the main spillway hydraulically stalling the turbines ( the discharges of which are not screened ?)......

Honest question here....

The intakes for the turbines are two giant "tubes" running down the slope on the south side of the reservoir. They're screened on top, and, IIRC, have gates to choose at which level the water is allowed in. They can therefore take water from a much higher pressure than the water backing up at the discharge. How can that stall the turbines?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
that gem about water and debris flowing back upstream to clog the turbines was pretty funny....

Funny ?

You ever seen the bouyed "chain curtains" that are hung in front of the turbine discharges at MOST hydro dams ?
Worked on them during emergency shutdowns to clear logs that made it over a spillway
soaked to the bloody bone and freezing your nuts off while trying to wield a heavy exothermic torch ?

I doubt it,.....

Maybe you oughta' grab your stash and head for Oroville to calm everybody with your nonsense, it's not going to sell well here, Bud.

GTC

I'm not gonna start hurling insults, but the way I understood that post had nothing at all to do "buoyed" steel curtains in front of turbines....it was the suggestion that somehow the river level below the dam was high enough to force water and debris back up into the turbines and back uphill into the lake....it's IMPOSSIBLE for that to happen...

Not impossible at all! The main spillway discharge enters the river channel at a 90deg. angle, easy to see how it could flow both ways with enough volume.

It will never back up to lake level, but could back up enough to affect the turbines discharge.

Last edited by irfubar; 02/15/17.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven't heard anything, from the inside skinny, about the turbines being affected but if happened I should find out in the next few days.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Greg,

FLAT perfectly sloped soil after a torrent carved that hole,...nope, the triangular shaped sloped material is a CONCRETE structure, mate. looks to be where it ends,

TC

I've lost track - which photo are you speaking of?

Oh - this photo?...

Studying this:

[Linked Image]

How about another angle?

[Linked Image]

That ain't no core.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
No one said anything about back to Lake level... it is about stalling turbines due to erratic flow and compromised outlets. Plenty enough to get crap back into the turbines.

What "eratic flow"??? You'd need either a lid on the lake creating a vacuum or giant whirlpools sucking air before anything like that could happen.... And you can compromise the outlet as much as you want....the hydro pressure from above will not allow a backflow....like I said, it's against the laws of physics...

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by fester
I guess you need to open your cum dumpster again and clarify your comment.

Probably a regional thing but you should know that most men don't use their mouths for that.

Be sure to floss.

Thanks,
Dave

Ooh. Burn.

You didn't clarify your comment, c ock gobbler.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
That's an access road below the emergency spillway...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner

Funny ?

I doubt it,.....

GTC

Read what Steelhead posted
....include my dittos
Your initial post was pretty damned rude and insulting, and you're getting nothing more back than that sorta' stupid wise azzed nonsense deserves.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That ain't no core.

it's a picture of a different part of that abortion, somewhat far removed, I believe.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That ain't no core.

it's a picture of a different part of that abortion, somewhat far removed, I believe.

GTC

So far removed that it isn't part of the actual structure. And by that, I mean where material was moved and built up. It's just a road on the ridge under the lip of the concrete apron that is the emergency spillway - which goes over the existing ridge.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Not impossible at all! The main spillway discharge enters the river channel at a 90deg. angle, easy to see how it could flow both ways with enough volume.

It will never back up to lake level, but could back up enough to affect the turbines discharge.

Yup, the increased back pressure starts STALLING the turbines, and computer controlled respond by increasing the excitation voltages,....bad electrical catastrophes ensue. In the case of debris actually being inducted, the almost incalculable forces involved can break the shafts / gear trains
......the equivalent of a powerful bomb going off.

GTC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Greg,

TC

Greg,
I think I 'misspoke'. I should have said that your photo reminded me of a giant sinkhole. Didn't mean it in the literal sense.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That ain't no core.

GTC

So far removed that it isn't part of the actual structure. And by that, I mean where material was moved and built up. It's just a road on the ridge under the lip of the concrete apron that is the emergency spillway - which goes over the existing ridge.

OK, so WHAT is pictured in the first pic I posted this AM ? It damn sure isn't that "different angle" schidt.

DIFFERENT SPOT, and your call out on being lost is a good one.

Look it all over again, carefully this time, you should see what we mean.

GTC

Page 20 of 32 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 31 32

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 160user, 12344mag, 2003and2013, 61 invisible), 2,472 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,791
Posts18,477,321
Members73,943
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.