Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I get a kick out of the responses on "Shark Tank" when folks trying to get money for their business can only offer, "But I'm VERY passionate about this!", as an argument!

Mike

GB4

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Rowe's point is that you may not be equipped to succeed at your "passion" and therefore pursuing it without admitting defeat is a gigantic mistake.

If my passion had been to be a concert violinist or basketball player, I'd have been chit out of luck no matter how hard I tried and tried. I washed out any number of students who had genuine passion to be a pilot - but not the necessary skills.

I succeeded in three widely different careers not only because I had passion to do them but I arranged for the opportunities to begin them. (And fortunately had the skills, too.)

And I also succeeded in a business I had no passion for initially, but fell into an opportunity and then made it a passion. THAT's what Rowe is advocating.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Rowe's point is that you may not be equipped to succeed at your "passion" and therefore pursuing it without admitting defeat is a gigantic mistake.

If my passion had been to be a concert violinist or basketball player, I'd have been chit out of luck no matter how hard I tried and tried. I washed out any number of students who had genuine passion to be a pilot - but not the necessary skills.

I succeeded in three widely different careers not only because I had passion to do them but I arranged for the opportunities to begin them. (And fortunately had the skills, too.)

And I also succeeded in a business I had no passion for initially, but fell into an opportunity and then made it a passion. THAT's what Rowe is advocating.

I've got first hand experience with that aspect.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So many possibilities out there, I'd never spend time doing a job I didn't enjoy.

Life's too short and money ain't everything.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I think it's impossible to get paid doing your passion.

I think I know what you mean, and that's probably true for the vast majority. I once had a passion for photography and was even doing it semi-professionally....enough to realize that turning it into work would take the fun out of it. And it doesn't pay that well anyway - unless one is very, very good. Even more true now, with the advent of digital photo technology.

Sure - some people get lucky and their passion pays off. But they are the small minority. There comes a time to be realistic...or starve.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Pursuing such can also be a sure way to ruin that same passion.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by pal
That message is such BULLSCHIT! Don't believe it.

The example he gave of him following his grandfather's passion does not make this true.

Perhaps most people do not follow their passion. Instead they accept someone else's beliefs, before they have had a chance to develop and trust their own. Or they believe someone's advice "Get into plastics!" and are possibly miserable their whole life, even though they might make a great living.

Bull!

Spend your time doing what you love to do.

Too many years of fiberglass and epoxy getting under your skin? grin

You are correct though, one has to define what they're idea of success is and go for it, screw everyone else. If it doesn't work, chock it up to life experience, reassess and move forward. Too many ways to make a living doing what some else defines for you.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SBTCO
...Too many years of fiberglass and epoxy getting under your skin? grin..

No, but I've breathed bushels of sawdust. smile

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
a winner never quits, and a quitter never wins.

follow that advice, and one has at least a chance of retiring at 54 with the full walk. others do even better.

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Got this from another thread...
Top 10 Nascar drivers' salaries. There's a job with passion! $25,000,000/year!

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I hired a fishing guide once and he was very good at what he did. I quizzed him about how it came about and he said that he "wanted to follow his passion." He then said he would never do it again because it turned his passion into a pain in the azz and nothing more than a job....he got to the point where he hated going fishing each day.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by FreeMe

I think I know what you mean, and that's probably true for the vast majority. I once had a passion for photography and was even doing it semi-professionally....enough to realize that turning it into work would take the fun out of it. And it doesn't pay that well anyway - unless one is very, very good. Even more true now, with the advent of digital photo technology.

Sure - some people get lucky and their passion pays off. But they are the small minority. There comes a time to be realistic...or starve.

Yes, that's part of it. The other part is if you are making money at it that means that someone is paying you. If someone is paying you then you are working for someone and you no longer have complete ownership of said passion.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
I hired a fishing guide once...he got to the point where he hated going fishing each day.

Then that particular fishing guide stayed in it too long.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
these days "following your passion" usually means living off mom and dad until they hate your lazy ass.

passion is over rated

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
IMO, winning Wimbledon at 16, or playing the masters at Augusta national at a young 14,
= gifted ability but still requires - discipline,focus,sacrifice and perseverance, not so much passion.

Passion alone won't get you driving F1 or piloting a jet, you need money, rare privilege and skill.

Of those with passion that try for Special Forces?.. how many fail?

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I certainly followed mine and have no regrets.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Sorry Phil, but you are about as common as Babe Ruth. ;-{>8

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute
Well composed. I'd also offer there might be a bit of a "luck factor." Simply being in the right place at the right time to take advantage of a situation that will kick start ones career.

[b]Especially true in the entertainment industry.[/b]

Brother, you ain't kidding!!! wink

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I ain't worked a lick in over 27 years cool

... and they pay me for it, not real well, but its a living.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Good advice from Mike Rowe.
I work to live, I don't live to work.
Several years ago I was facing a layoff and the prospect of finding new employment after 20 years at the same company. I was talking to a business owner friend and he asked "what do you WANT to do?" I replied "what I WANT to do is get up in the morning, walk down to McDonalds and drink coffee with the spit & whittle crowd, come back home and maybe do some reloading, go to the range, or maybe take the kayak to the lake..."

Last edited by savage24; 02/15/17.

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 66 invisible), 2,514 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,949
Posts18,480,378
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.