Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
So I have a Zeiss hd5 2-10x42 ready to go atop the 338 win mag I am having built right now for a Northern BC Horseback moose hunt I have in September this year. Knowing how tough horses can be, how remote we will be, and how much this hunt is costing, I was tossing around the idea of taking up a back up scope. I have a couple options I have tossed around, but it just seems to me less is more and I would love to not take up unnecessary items.

So here is thinking of Plan B. Sell the Zeiss, bite the bullet, and purchase a Nightforce 2.5-10X42 w/ illumination and IHR. I realize that all scopes can fail, but it seems the odds are FAR less on a top end nightforce product. The scope wouldn't really be bought with the idea of dialing and long range hunting, more of pure reliability and repeat ability with top notch glass that hedges my bets of not failing on this hunt. Thoughts? If the NF was like 1k-1200, I would have already pulled the trigger, but the model I want retails for $1950, so its a huge purchase and thus being not sure.

Last edited by Hiaring8; 02/17/17.
GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
A backup scope is prudent for such a hunt. My own thinking would be to pair the Zeiss with a proven fixed 4x scope (Zeiss or Leupold), with both main and backup in quick release rings.
1) absolute confidence in reliability of backup
2) 4x is perfectly adequate magnification for the critters being pursued
3) light enough to stow easily in pack
4) not financially burdensome

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
A backup scope is prudent for such a hunt. My own thinking would be to pair the Zeiss with a proven fixed 4x scope (Zeiss or Leupold), with both main and backup in quick release rings.

FC

I think that's a great idea but I'd probably pair it with a 6X instead of 4X, but it's all about the same.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged

FC

That's how I'd roll too.

I have not hunted on horseback so I'd be interested in hearing from folks with a scope like the NXS (knobs on both sides) in a scabbard (assuming scabbard).

Hiaring8, if you end up needing/wanting the NXS, drop me a line, I have the exact 42mm scope you're interested in and have considered selling it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Not apples to apples,but you could do a SHV scope, have the confidence and within budget. I much prefer those scopes to my hd5s, but never had issues with either. My buddy is doing this same hunt in fall. He hunted with same outfitter a few years ago for a stone sheep,since "long range" guns and hunters have been showing up more frequently,the scabbards are much more accommodating. The good guides will put you on the most sure footed horse in the pack,but sh^t can still get damaged. He was more concerned with airline handling of rifle than anything the pack in on horseback dished out.

IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Hiaring8
So I have a Zeiss hd5 2-10x42 ready to go atop the 338 win mag I am having built right now for a Northern BC Horseback moose hunt I have in September this year. Knowing how tough horses can be, how remote we will be, and how much this hunt is costing, I was tossing around the idea of taking up a back up scope. I have a couple options I have tossed around, but it just seems to me less is more and I would love to not take up unnecessary items.

So here is thinking of Plan B. Sell the Zeiss, bite the bullet, and purchase a Nightforce 2.5-10X42 w/ illumination and IHR. I realize that all scopes can fail, but it seems the odds are FAR less on a top end nightforce product. The scope wouldn't really be bought with the idea of dialing and long range hunting, more of pure reliability and repeat ability with top notch glass that hedges my bets of not failing on this hunt. Thoughts? If the NF was like 1k-1200, I would have already pulled the trigger, but the model I want retails for $1950, so its a huge purchase and thus being not sure.

Go with NXS and forget about scope issues. I would skip the IHR and go mil dot or milR with mil turrets, even if you don't plan on dialing. They are significantly more useful reticles and give you options later on.

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H

That's how I'd roll too.

I have not hunted on horseback so I'd be interested in hearing from folks with a scope like the NXS (knobs on both sides) in a scabbard (assuming scabbard).

Hiaring8, if you end up needing/wanting the NXS, drop me a line, I have the exact 42mm scope you're interested in and have considered selling it. [/quote]

Pm sent about the NF.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With the way horses like to wipe stuff off the pack, a backup is never a bad idea and space/weight penalty is nil. Run a pic rail, sight them both in and if you need it....you're going to be one shot from dialed.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I hunt a lot with horses. Capped turrets would be the best. Having said that,I primarily use a swfa 3x15 and it has big exposed turrets. The 3x9 would be a better bet. The turrets are smaller and stiffer to turnso you should avoid any accidental turning taking it in and out of the scabbard. Plus, that scope is solid dependable for holding and maintaining zero. Great glass too.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I may be interested in the hd5 if you decided to sell

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The NF 3-10x42 SHV is a solid scope. Capped turrets, same glass as the NXS version, etc.

But if you are gonna be horse-hunting rugged stuff in the future too and you just want to be done with ever worrying your scope again, get the NXS and just put that worry to bed. The NXS series are the very definition of "proven". They are put through stuff every day all around the world that would make a wilderness horse hunt seem like a Sunday walk in the park. smile

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My buddy had a horse fall on him and his rifle. He got off in time ,but his Swarovski Z3 was destroyed by the horse rocking back and forth trying to get it's footing. No scope would have been usable. If he had a back up he would have been fine.
I would vote a back up straight 4x and worry not.....

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by wyoming260
No scope would have been usable.

Ehhh.... I've used a MILSPEC NXS as a hammer to smash a scope before, and not only did it still work 100% correctly, it was still zeroed.

Here's another

Mounted and bore sighted.

5 shots-
[Linked Image]

Then this-

The same target with the 3 shots from the video-

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Why would you use a scope as a hammer? What is the story behind that?

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Is that stick?

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by drover
Why would you use a scope as a hammer? What is the story behind that?

drover

It was done to illustrate a point to a group of military guys when one of the rifles slid off a truck and would no longer hold a zero. The comment was made that "any scope would fail" from the same treatment. Not so, nor close.

I'm not saying that you should use any scope as a hammer, I am saying that's scopes are aiming devices and if they fail the rifles pretty useless at that point.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by high_country_
Run a pic rail, sight them both in and if you need it....you're going to be one shot from dialed.

This is good advice. I've had much more trouble out of mounts than I have out of scopes themselves. Picatinny rails are as close to bombproof as you get and the return to zero is good. You can swap one scope for the other in 30 seconds.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by wyoming260
No scope would have been usable.

Ehhh.... I've used a MILSPEC NXS as a hammer to smash a scope before, and not only did it still work 100% correctly, it was still zeroed.

Here's another

Mounted and bore sighted.

5 shots-
[Linked Image]

Then this-

The same target with the 3 shots from the video-

[Linked Image]

My friends scabbard was not the most protective, when the horse got back on his feet, the Swarovski was missing the glass parts .....

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Consider taking a boresighter such as Bushnell's to get the crosshairs of the replacement scope exactly where they were on the original scope.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A horse can do some spectacular things to one's rifle.
Shared camp in Colorado once in the Flattop wilderness with a hunter from Minnesota. His horse went apechit coming down a switchback and threw him off and decided to use his rifle as a back scratcher.
His Remington 742 woundamatic broke in two at the wrist and mangled the scope.
He started leading the horse down the mountain and the horse decided to take off down the switchback like a charging Cape Buffalo. Some poor hunter walking up the mountain had to bail off the switchback to keep from being run over.
The hunters rifle was damaged from diving out of the horses way. He wanted the horses owner to pay for the damages to his rifle. When the guy from Minnesota showed him his new two piece 742 the guy felt sorry for him and told him to forget it.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 47 invisible), 2,306 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,039
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.