Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Higbean
10 mph variable winds with the biggest buck you've ever seen at 526 yards out with zero chance of getting closer.

Sounds like more of an ethics decision than one of bullet choice.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I started to say, big bull bison, but then I remembered that I had killed one of the biggest bulls that I have ever seen--with my .30-06 and a 180-grain Partition. One shot. A long time ago. grin

Last edited by mudhen; 02/18/17.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
The only time I can think of is the calibers they don't make.

Like .311" and 348" .423"

I have a 6.5X54 mann/scho that needs 160 gr round nose bullets to feed well. They don't make bullets for my 404 Jeffery or my 348 Winchester. . So I don't use Noslers, because they don't make what I need for those rifles.

But for the sizes they do make they are the gold Standard in my opinion.

I know of no other bullet that expands well at 1400 FPS and still holds enough weight at 3000 to punch deep.

Some others will retain more weight but don't open up at speeds lower then 1900. I like Barnes for hunting at close range and out to about 400 yards, but beyond that the bullets don't open up well. Same with Swifts.

Both Swift and Barnes will retain more weight, but that's not an issue if the Partitions are exiting the game. (Which they do in the guns and bullet weights I use)The idea of retaining weight is for penetration. If you have 100% penetration, more weight is just theoretically an advantage, but not a real advantage.

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Canazes9
California.

David
Funny, Sad, and True all in one Word. Oh and I'll add F'd up.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
One of my PH's in Africa did not care for them on large game. He told me about a rodeo with a giraffe that I believe took 16 300 grain .375 partitions. I suspect some bad shooting was involved but the PH said it was due to the lack of straight line penetration.

I have never heard anyone else talk of this. With my own use I have noticed that especially at close ranges and high velocity that the front end would get lopsided sometimes and the shank was so short they did not penetrate as straight as a mono bullet would have. Still they worked well and dropped the animals quickly.

I would have no problem using them on everything but would probably go mono on really big game where penetration is in feet instead of inches.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
I'll stick my neck out and say that was some poor shooting.

When it comes to partitions, the only disadvantage is the wind thing. Certainly better bullets for 500 on out was my point.

Did somebody bump an old thread?

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I wouldn't judge the PT's without first seeing some good photos showing the bullet holes.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by wyoming260
When the shooter is not up to the task at hand!!!!

The giraffe and the hypothetical 500 yd. shot in wind are both addressed by the above statement..........

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
A Partition is never not adequate.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Dogger: I have been using Nosler Partitions VERY successfully for going on 58 years now and I have yet to find any reason to be dissatisfied or even be tempted to try anything else.
I have used them from Alaska and Alberta on down through Utah and Wyoming taking all manner of Big game with them.
In the "lower 48" specifically I have used them in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana and Utah.
Hoping to add Caribou to my already long list of Big Game successfully harvested with Nosler Partitions.
Long live Nosler Partitions.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
yeah, i started this thread to answer what in my gut i already knew - the bullet is more important than the caliber or the head stamp, provided I keep it reasonable (243 and above). Bigger diameters make sense in certain situations... for example hunting black bear (fat can plug the hole and leave a poor blood trail)...

I am really trying to talk myself into leaving the 7mms and 30s in the safe and use a .25 for an all-arounder for anything not in thick cover (where I could lose the blood trail). I suppose the smaller diameter rifles work well until they don't.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
10 mph variable winds with the biggest buck you've ever seen at 526 yards out with zero chance of getting closer.

If you can't hit at that range with a Partition, nothing else is going to help you. A few inches of drift is well within a seasoned riflemans ability to compensate.

Just a thought...

β€œPerfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've found that the heavy fur coat on black bears were as much to blame as the fat was. Lately I've been hunting with hounds so not so much of an issue.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The partition is the bullet that all the others claim to be, but as someone said, the Bear Claws might be right.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Prwlr
T-Rex, Triceratops, Carnosaur, ........ grin

Dang, you beat me to it........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by warpig602
How are are the partitions at longer ranges? I assume he accubond was introduced to fill that niche?

Moderate expansion, deep penetration--that's the "secret" to killing deer size critters and up.

The other strength of the NPT is it performs the most consistently across the widest range of velocities of any bullets I've observed.

There are other excellent bullets out there though.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Canazes9
California.

David

Unfortunately you're right. The days of lead core bullets are probably numbered. Colorado is now "encouraging" hunters to use copper bullets. And at some point we will probably see lead core bullets prohibited on federal lands.

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dogger,

I've taken at least 24 species of big game with Partitions, from springbok and pronghorn to eland, moose and Cape buffalo, and they haven't "failed" yet.

Among those have been a bunch of animals with .25-caliber Partitions, including my biggest whitetail and several of my bigger mule deer. Also used the 100-grain on my longest shot on a pronghorn buck, and on a hunt in 2012 one of my hunting partners took a good 6-point bull elk with his .257 Weatherby and one 120-grain Partition, which exited.

β€œMontana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The NP is not adequate if for some reason you rifle does not deliver good accuracy with it. Other than that, its as adequate as a 30-06 for 99% of hunting demands.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad

If you can't hit at that range with a Partition, nothing else is going to help you. A few inches of drift is well within a seasoned riflemans ability to compensate.

Just a thought...

A seasoned rifleman never misses on the internet.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (10gaugemag, 17Fan, 01Foreman400, 160user, 12344mag, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,318
Posts18,487,346
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.