Print Thread
Hop To
J
J257 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I just got back a Ruger m77, 257 from my gunsmith. he rebarrelled the rifle and polished up and ground on the extractor a little. Low and behold, now the rifle doesn't feed rounds from the magazine well. About a half inch before the bolt goes into the receiver, the back of the shell case pops up and jams up the show.
I'm thinking he ground and polished to much. Can I take an extractor from another Ruger m77 tang safety, in the same caliber and pop it on and expect it to work?

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Is there a reason you aren't going to let him fix his mistake?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
J257 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
He'll get his chance - just not on Sunday. If there is any way I can Identify or isolate the problem I will. This will be the second time the rifle has gone back since the rebarrel. I'm also looking for a smith that's skilled at or likes to work on Ruger m77's, the older tang safety model.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good call, I'd probably be looking for a new smith as well...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Try Ruger for a new one or Jack First Distributors for a new or used replacement.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by J257
I just got back a Ruger m77, 257 from my gunsmith. he rebarrelled the rifle and polished up and ground on the extractor a little. Low and behold, now the rifle doesn't feed rounds from the magazine well. About a half inch before the bolt goes into the receiver, the back of the shell case pops up and jams up the show.
I'm thinking he ground and polished to much. Can I take an extractor from another Ruger m77 tang safety, in the same caliber and pop it on and expect it to work?
From your description, it doesn't sound like the extractor's the issue.. Sounds to me like it's more like a magazine issue..

But a round should be able to be fed manually. Dropping the bolt handle on a manually fed round will have some resistance, but it should snap over.. If not, then the extractor WILL need a bit of work..

Last edited by Redneck; 02/14/17.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Replacement extractor from another similar rifle should work if as said it is actually an extractor problem. Might check follower spring to be sure it is in correctly with the proper bends. Compare it with one that works if you have one.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I ordered a new replacement extractor for my Old 7x57 ruger and it dropped right in no fitting necessary, but I do not believe that is your issue. I also belive it is something with the Follower and or spring. Did he happen to polish feed rails to make it smoother and polish to much making the case pop out prematurely?????

J
J257 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I went ahead and swapped out the extractor from another 257. I ran fifty rounds through the rifle without a hiccup. He did in fact do a lot of polishing, could of added to it. I called him and told him what I'd done and he agreed to send another extractor. I got the extractor, from Brownells, in the mail today - it didn't work, made for a markII I guess.
Wyoming, where did you find an extractor for your old 7x57? The one I received isn't the right one and I can't seem to locate one anywhere.
I'm still on the lookout for a Smith that likes working on m77's. I've hunted this rifle for almost thirty years without a single jam or issue but I do take care of my rifles. I send it off for a new barrel and now it jams - so frustrating!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Have you checked w/ Out Back Gunparts ?

http://www.outbackgunparts.com/Products.html

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Is this a Tang model?

Call Jack First Distributors in Rapid City. They will tell you on the phone if they have it,, new or used, and will even send it COD. Or they have for me in the past. Excellent people to deal with. Pretty sure they'll take CC.

You will need at minimum Model, -tang, Mark II, etc. - and preferably the part number for those different rifles/calibers. I don't know if the extractors differ between them. You can probably google this if you don't have the paperwork or parts book.

I don't know if Numrich/Gun Parts is still in business but they might have one also. Never liked dealing with them . Sloooooooooooooooooooooow!

J
J257 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
First thing next week I'll call Jack first and outback. I shot the rifle at the range today and it seems to have other issues. I shot a ladder with 4350 and 4831 using 100 grain bullets. Every primer is raised out of its pocket. I think something is and has been wrong since the rifle was returned to me the first time. It's time to bight the bullet and send it to fresh eyes. It has a 24" barrel so I'm going to have the chamber recut. Fresh start and I'll end up with a what, 23" barrel? I usually wouldn't go this far but the rifle has sentimental value.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Oboy.....I feel your pain.

Yeah, I think a different smith is in order. There's a couple on here - Redneck comes to mind.

First thing to do is find a set of head-space gauges. Any gunsmith (and some other nut-cases. smile ) would have them and will likely check that for you at little or no cost- takes about 2 minutes.

I'd say no more than $15 max.

There is a go, no-go, and a third indicating dangerously excessive headspace.. I have two sets, I think, but I'm not where they are, and won't be for 3 weeks, or i'd send you one.

If properly fitted, the bolt should just close on the go, or even be just a little sticky as bolt closes fully down. As long as the bolt closes on go, but not the third one in the set, headspace is fine. No-go is self explanatory.

Compare your fired cases with your reloads?, and factory round/new brass to see if there is a visual, or measurable excessive difference. If reloading, backed out primers may also indicate new or once fired brass is in order due to enlarged primer pockets. Or your loads are a bit sporty on powder. Or cases have been overly-resized.

Might even have to Cerro-safe the chamber for a mold to check dimensions. Neck/throat could be too short.

I don't reload much, but those are all things I would check, before re-chambering, or have checked by a competent person, gunsmith or not.

Good luck.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (160user, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1badf350, 70 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,189
Posts18,503,386
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.