Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Fenton Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Heard so much for so long about how good the Tikka T3's shoot...saw a stainless .30-06 recently, think I'll go buy it tomorrow. It's gotta be worth $375...doesn't it?

Anybody got one?...ya happy with it?

My modest collection of firearms grows again...geeze, this will make three that I haven't even had a chance to shoot yet. Can't wait to retire...hard to pass on a good deal while I'm working.

Like to shootem' all and figure out which ones to keep and which ones to pass along to the next looney. Hope there are some young ones coming up to take care of these nice rifles of mine.

Finally a Friday...what a Winter we're havin' up here this year.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
If he has another for $375, I'll take it.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Had one in 30-06. Since have turned that one into a 280 AI, and have also added a 243, and a 300 mag. Once you go Finnish, you won't go back. wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
KenMI - "Once you go Finnish, you won't go back." Pretty good advice...just thought the same thing about the two(2) SAKO's I've owned since the mid-70's. Plus a fairly new Tikka (6.5 Swede).
Homesteader

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Don't hear many complaints about Tikka. Never owned one myself, can't seem to warm up to them, now sakos are another matter!

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
I look at them as another Sako model with a more reasonable price tag. Essentially that is what they are.

Some say they are actually Sako barrels that for whatever reason don't make the cut for Sako rifles.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by KenMi
I look at them as another Sako model with a more reasonable price tag. Essentially that is what they are.

Some say they are actually Sako barrels that for whatever reason don't make the cut for Sako rifles.

Sako and Tikka barrels come out of the same pile. There is no difference.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Sako 85 Finnlights for me

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have owned a pile of both and I have 2 Tikka's in My safe at the moment and no Sako's if that tells ya anything.......Good luck....Hb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got 2. A SS 270 and a 260Rem that started life as a Hunter, but now looks like this:
[Linked Image]

And it puts 125 NPTs into a ragged hole. The 270 shoots well also, but the 260 is stupid accurate.

Last edited by 1Nut; 02/19/17.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

Yeah, that's what I understand. But, the story is, each barrel is "graded" and the highest quality go to the Sako top of the line models, then it steps down to the other Sako models, then to Tikka. Obviously, that doesn't mean they put all the flaws and defects on Tikkas, it is just a matter of how they are graded by air-gauging or other methods as to what lines they end up on.

Sort of like match grade primers. They went through an extra step of QC to end up in the match boxes. Not to say the same exact quality primers wouldn't also be in the standard primer boxes.

Last edited by KenMi; 02/19/17.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by 1Nut
I've got 2. A SS 270 and a 260Rem that started life as a Hunter, but now looks like this:
[Linked Image]

And it puts 120 NPTs into a ragged hole. The 270 shoots well also, but the 260 is stupid accurate.

What stock is that?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had one in 30-06. Since have turned that one into a 280 AI, and have also added a 243, and a 300 mag. Once you go Finnish, you won't go back. wink

What barrel did you go with on the 280 AI?

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V

wow! This is the first ive heard of this....Tikka barrels are Sako seconds?....Where did you get this information?.......Hb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JoeBob
[Linked Image]

And it puts 120 NPTs into a ragged hole. The 270 shoots well also, but the 260 is stupid accurate.

What stock is that?

B&C Sporter gray/black

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

Yeah, that's what I understand. But, the story is, each barrel is "graded" and the highest quality go to the Sako top of the line models, then it steps down to the other Sako models, then to Tikka. Obviously, that doesn't mean they put all the flaws and defects on Tikkas, it is just a matter of how they are graded by air-gauging or other methods as to what lines they end up on.

Sort of like match grade primers. They went through an extra step of QC to end up in the match boxes. Not to say the same exact quality primers wouldn't also be in the standard primer boxes.

What is the source of information regarding this "grading" step? I would really like to see it.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by JoeBob
[Linked Image]

What stock is that?

B&C Sporter gray/black

I thought so. Is it heavier or lighter than the factory hunter stock?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted By KenMi

wow! This is the first ive heard of this....Tikka barrels are Sako seconds?....Where did you get this information?.......Hb

I knew that a long time ago myself. Did anyone actually believe they would use the Sako premium barrels on the lowly Tikka? Maybe GM dealers use Cadillac and Corvette engines in the Chevy Malibu's too. You get what you pay for in life. wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Slightly heavier than the plastic original, but stiffer and better looking IMO.

Nut

Thomas Jefferson

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
KenMi,

Not true about the grading. They just keep making barrels at the Sako/Tikka factory, and when they make either brand of rifle they use the barrels on hand.

They do lap the heavier-contour barrels to more consistent bore diameters, but the same barrels are still used on both rifles.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 49 invisible), 2,449 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,666
Posts18,474,725
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.