-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like Shilen triggers . In the mid 1980's I stopped at Ennis, Texas. I met Doug and Ed Shilen. Had them install their 1 1/2 pound trigger in my 700 HV. It's been rebarred 3 times same trigger no problems. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
GB1

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Well most of the complaints I have read in the past were that the gun fired as one locked the bolt down, or the safety moved to the fire position.. in tonight's show, this kid was not working the bolt nor the safety, he claims the gun just went off as he was standing up off the couch. As far as I know, that is not the meat on the bones in regards to the 700 trigger issue. Probably why he ended up in prison.

Yeah, the little azzwhole admitted on camera that he at fifteen years of age retrieved his hunting rifle, and loaded it with the intention of intimidating his baby brother whom he was fighting with.

After he blew off half his brothers head, he altered the crime scene by placing brothers rifle between the knees of the corpse to make it appear as suicide.

He claims he never touched the trigger.

I would not catagorize this youth as the most reliable witness.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Originally Posted by PaleRider
Originally Posted by JMR40
The 1946-2006 rifles are a flawed design, no doubt about it. As far as I know the X-Mark trigger used since Oct. 2006 is a sound design. Supposedly the recall on those was to deal with adhesive that somehow dripped into the trigger assembly during manufacturing.

I didn't watch this program because I thought it was just a re-run of the same program done by CNBC several years ago. If there is a different design problem with the X-Mark trigger this is the 1st I've heard of it

Just FYI - The Remington 700 has only been around since 1962 (not 1946).
For about the first 20 years until around 1982 the safety locked the bolt down, then they changed it so you could open the bolt & unload it with the safety still on (bolt not locked down).

Immaterial, the Walker trigger came out with the 722/721 rifles, same trigger design used on the early 700s.

I have issues with the 700s, but the triggers ain't my issues. There are other things to dislike about 'em, and reason enough for me to have gotten rid of mine.
Some TV hackjob ain't gonna persuade me one way or another.

I think it was material.
Unless I misunderstood what he had written, it appeared that he was saying the Rem. 700 has been around since 1946, which it has not ; just added a few other facts about the Walker Trigger.
The 722/721 model rifles were not around in 1946 either.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I viewed the 60 minute offering last evening to glean lots of problems with their segment. The young man truly was at fault admitting his actions. Now, to be honest each and every mechanical device is subject to failure. But, proper handling of a firearm would have prevented this tragedy.
At no point during the segment was there a definitive discussion about the 10 commandments of firearm safety. The father alluded to teaching his sons safety but 60 minutes did not pursue this. I have owned and hunted with many model Remington 700 rifles. Have not had this problem occur. Now, I do indeed have complete and lots of experience with cleaning, adjusting and the 700 triggers along with the safeties. If a trigger is adjusted improproperly a problem can happen. If the sear engagement is improperly set the trigger will fail. A competent gunsmith will be able to properly adjust either of the trigger designs.
Not one gunsmith was asked his opinion about either trigger design. CBS should revisit this with more comprehensive data from a broad range of gunsmiths, mechanical engineers, competent bench rest shooters and hunter education instructors for a proper and well balanced approach. But, we all know this will happen when pigs fly. My .02 cents. MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm not a Remy fan but the difference between the 2 statements

"My lil brother was giving me a bunch of crap so I blew his head off."

and...

"I was just holding my rifle and it went off on its own."

is the difference between Murder 2 and Manslaughter, which is the difference between 10 years and 25 to life with the potential of a multi-million dollar payout down the road.

So with no other witnesses which of the two would his attorney be advising him to make?

The entire segment is more Fake News.

Personally speaking, if I have a disassembled gun on my table I feel un-comfortable if an empty barrel is pointing in an unsafe direction.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm just wondering when the lawsuits over Mauser 98 wing safeties going off are gonna start. Oh, nobody makes Mauser 98s any more, the Soviets and Allies leveled all the factories? Imagine that.....

Good Lord.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Forget 60 Minutes and the Lawyers!!

For me….there's enough suspect information, experiences and stories from members in this thread alone to have any 700 owned checked out.

Unless of course you already have.

YMMV... I pray!!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Orion2000

I have a Timney Calvin Elite inbound to cover one of those.

Would be interested in your assessment of the Calvin vs. std. Timney.

I've seen them advertised, never examined one.

DF

Will do. To-date, I have been satisfied with the standard Timney's. However, the Calvin's get a lot of positive press here on the 'Fire. Not sure if I will see 2x the value for 2x the price. However, figured I would try one to find out. Will replace the X-Mark (I think) trigger that came on a new LH SS 700 action.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mesabi
They blamed both the old triggers and the XMark.

First "oopsie" was a kid who was arguing with his brother, and loaded the rifle to "scare" him: The rifle "went off by itself".

Second "oopsie" was a "former Marine" who was "experienced with weapons" and took his LOADED RIFLE WITH A ROUND CHAMBERED AND SAFETY OFF out of a case and the rifle "went off by itself".

I stopped watching at that point.

There may well be a problem with the triggers; there's a bigger problem with some owners.

I don't think you can say there isn't a trigger issue of some concern with a Remington 700

but...

keeps a loaded rifle with a chambered round in the case?

I'd like to hear the case of that Marine - especially not getting charged with some kind of negligence in the death of that girl.

Of course if he got charged, then they wouldn't get millions in a settlement from Remington

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My favorite rifle is a Win 69a, 22. The safety doesn't work.

At all.

I'm pretty sure it has a couple of hundred THOUSAND rounds through it with no unintended injuries.

Maybe we should make stupid illegal.

(I know...it's own thread.)

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fishdog52
Disappointing string. Disappointing that many seem to give more credence to a TV show than Remington.
My experience says that there are outright lies and fuzzy facts stated, then repeated.
Loud shouting and repetition doesn't make it true.
I'm giving Remington the benefit of the doubt.

Pointing a rifle at someone, with live ammo in the vicinity... something between poor judgement and insane.

I heard about this on the internet years ago - well before CBS ever did a story about it.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have had a 700 BDL in 270 Win.for 40 years and have never had it go off without the trigger being pulled.

That said if someone has monkeyed with it then all bets are off.
Same thing with the rifle never having been cleaned other than to have the barrel swabbed and wiped down with a rag.

If used the way they were meant to be used and cleaned regularly,one should outlast the owner.

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Have owned two Rem 700's with factory triggers that went "bang" when the safety was moved forward. Both occurred before I was aware of the Remington Walker trigger issues. Both rifles received Timney trigger replacements. Neither rifle has had an issue since replacement.

All but 2 of my Remington factory triggers have been replaced with Timney's. And I have a Timney Calvin Elite inbound to cover one of those.

Not interested in the recall. Not interested in a class action suit. Just thankful that both of my incidents occurred during range sessions with the muzzle pointed down range. Safe gun handling matters...

I dont believe you. I believe Remmy. Besides, doesnt matter if the gun goes off when you flip the safety as long as it aint pointed at nobody. Just be sure you got the crosshairs on that big buck or bull when you flip it man. smirk whistle

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
[quote=ltppowell]My favorite rifle is a Win 69a, 22. The safety doesn't work.

At all.

I'm pretty sure it has a couple of hundred THOUSAND rounds through it with no unintended injuries.

[/quote,

Safetys are supposed to work because many peoples brains dont. wink

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hey Jim check you PM's.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jaguartx
[quote=ltppowell]My favorite rifle is a Win 69a, 22. The safety doesn't work.

At all.

[/quote,

Safetys are supposed to work because many peoples brains dont. wink

Safetys are good, but a couple of basic rules have to be violated before they become an issue.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We already knew about the M700 triggers. The Propaganda Corps is merely taking the opportunity to do a hit piece and tell about them again.

They aren't really concerned about the triggers or the people shot. It's about trying to put the gun industry out of business one company at a time. the dead are nothing more than collateral damage in the pursuit of and agenda.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by stevelyn
We already knew about the M700 triggers. The Propaganda Corps is merely taking the opportunity to do a hit piece and tell about them again.

They aren't really concerned about the triggers or the people shot. It's about trying to put the gun industry out of business one company at a time. the dead are nothing more than collateral damage in the pursuit of and agenda.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

!

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by stevelyn

Spot on.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For me anytime I am buying a Rem 700 it's automatic to add another $120 for a Timney to the cost of the rifle because the triggers just plain suck. It's hard to believe they haven't come out with a better trigger after all the chit they've been through!

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (17CalFan, 1badf350, 1936M71, 160user, 22250rem, 47 invisible), 2,579 guests, and 1,383 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,708
Posts18,475,359
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.