Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Certified in two weekends, first Sat and Sunday was books and pool, 2nd weekend was the 4 open water dives,

I love water, but I really struggled that first open water session which required the full mask removal down at 30' in cold murky water, had a little anxiety with that manuever, but it's intended to possibly save your life so it is a valuable lesson,

Junior and I will be in Bonaire in a few weeks, 7 days of nothing but diving,

Cant wait.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
PADI Open Water in 1986. Did a fair amount in my Navy travels including a 125 foot deep dive in the Med off Haifa to an Italian U-Boat sunk with shellfire from shore.

Last dives were in Monterrey CA in 95. Kind of lost interest after that but if I were in a place with warm water and some who wanted to go in a less than 30 foot dive I'd go again.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm NAUI certified

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Certified in two weekends, first Sat and Sunday was books and pool, 2nd weekend was the 4 open water dives,

I love water, but I really struggled that first open water session which required the full mask removal down at 30' in cold murky water, had a little anxiety with that manuever, but it's intended to possibly save your life so it is a valuable lesson,

Junior and I will be in Bonaire in a few weeks, 7 days of nothing but diving,

Cant wait.

If you have not, get your nitox cert. when we went to Bonaire we got in 6 dives a day. There is so much shore diving you can dive 24 hrs a day. You won't do that on straight air.

We would do a sunrise dive, eat bfast, do two dives, eat lunch, two dives, eat dinner and then a twilight or night dive.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Friends and I got PADI certified about 30 years ago and never dove again. Mostly due to the $$ required to get somewhere good to dive. Northcentral Pa. isn't high on the list.

We found it to be a pretty easy course but we were 'water junkies', we had earned every aquatics merit badge the Boy Scouts offered and half of us were Red Cross Lifeguards. Clearing a mask was second nature to us. I do remember the first breath underwater, that was pretty cool. There were a couple of folks in the class who had some problems because they weren't as comfortable in the water.

Worst part for us was the 2nd day of open water dives. It was the last weekend in October and the temp. had dropped below freezing overnight. The $%^&* wetsuits had been stored in a trailer outside and were froze stiff!

Dale

This space for rent

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by tdbob
NAUI here. Went through the program in 1980 @ Orange Coast College. Diving for lobster in the Channel Islands was a lot of fun. Haven't gone in about 20yrs.

I got naui certified. There use to be an old tank sunk out there.
a guy would crawl in and bang a dive knife. Bugs came crawling out to meet a gunny sack.
about 2minutes of so in a microwave, mighty good.
i later did it for the sheriff's department, dead bodies that kind of thing.
wierdest i think was diving on a D9 cat in about 70 feet of water, pitch black.
i found the cat when i bounced my head off it.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 02/21/17.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
PADI certified in, or about '95. IIRC it was a couple nights of classroom, a day (maybe two) in a pool and then a weekend of open water. Hard to keep excited about diving in Wisconsin and I haven't kept it up. Would want to recert if I were to do it again. Diving is an activity that is worth respecting and I'd not half-ass it...which leads into the last time I dove story.

We were in PTO Vallerta on a night dive to poach lobsters out of Los Arcos natnl park. Perhaps in my middle age years I'd not be game for poaching lobsters, a 'dive master' with pot leaf tatted on his bicep OR leaking tanks, but at that age it seemed fine. Plus, poaching lobster in Mexico, you're not always going to get the best quality help.

Well, it is not only lucky as hell no one died that night but that the boat didn't get wrecked on the reef with the changing tide. Also, no lobsters on account of almost dying.

I'd say, even though nothing bad ever happened it would be WELL worth your time to get some knowledge on the subject...I don't think the courses are prohibitively expensive either financially or in time invested...plus then you can get your tanks filled without a 'strawman' purchase

Liberalism; The impossible yet accepted notion that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
PADI certified in 77, NAUI in the 80's

futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Scuba Schools International in Subic Bay, late 80's. Anybody ever heard of them smile

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
PADI Open Water, Advanced Open Water, Rescue, Nitrox, Deep, Night, EFR, and Oxygen Provider. I am working on my Dive Master now.

Shreck Yes SSI is still around. More so then NAUI is now a days.

Diving without being educated is just plain stupid. A lot of people will say you should get certified by (add your favorite) Just get certified. PADI is the international standard, though I am sure someone will challenge that. BSAC is the toughest and from what I have experienced produces a very knowledgable diver. You'll be surprised how much you will learn! Diving is a lot of fun and in some conditions very safe. But sort of like flying when chit goes wrong, it goes wrong fast!

I have only been diving a year, but in that year I logged 120 dives. From Brunei ship wrecks, Big drifts and serious currents in Labuan Bajo (AKA Komodo) Indonesia, Bali, NUSA Lembongan, Lembeh, Bunaken, Kota Kinabalu Malaysia, to the reefs of Miri Malaysia. Every dive site I learn new things.

Once I finish my Dive Master I'll be focusing heavily on Tech Diving.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 02/21/17.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B3

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
PADI Master Diver here. Have been for 20 years or so. In the beginning I would dive in a mud hole if it was deep enough. But I'm 3 hours from any decent location and 6 hours from the coast, so I eventually became a vacation diver. I dove all over the Caribbean, Hawaii, East Coast, West Coast and etc. Wish I had all of that money back! Just about quit now, been 3 years since I've been wet. Was thinking the other day that I need to sell all of my gear.

”Those who would give up liberty for security, deserve neither.” Ben Franklin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Was for many years, but after I moved to the interior West, I discovered other things on which to spend my time and money. grin

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by JJHACK
If I count how many tanks of air I have gone through it must be in the 100-150 range. However, I have never been scuba certified. I learned as a kid in another country where certification was not needed. Also getting an adult to get my tanks filled was never a problem because I was usually diving more than they were!

My wife has become quite interested in getting her certification. So I have decided to do this with her. I suppose it's mostly because we do so much together and share just about all of our adventures. But I need to have that certification now to get rental equipment when we travel within the USA and to get tanks refilled too.

Furthermore, it just seems like a good idea to actually learn the safe and proper way to do this, even though it has not killed me yet. I want her to be comfortable and safe. If you have done this scuba training what did they have you do to get certified?

Did the NAUI course back in about 77. As I recall, it was mostly safety related. Some coverage of gas laws and dive tables. The equipment has changed a bunch since then, but human physiology hasn't. Generally can't get in too much trouble on a one tank dive, but if you do too many too close together, you can. Don't change depth too fast and never hold your breath while ascending. Learn to clear your ears. (that was the thing that gave me problems) Bouyancy control and clearing your mask takes practice but isn't hard. We probably spent 10 hours in the classroom, a couple hours in the pool, and did one open water dive. I don't know how long it takes these days.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Was certified before NAUI/PADI were invented, by a Navy UDT WW2 vet.

2 laps without gear in the olympic size pool, no stopping for air. Classroom study, written test.

Deep water check: 60', ditch the gear and surface, return and don, end of story.

Drained more tanks than I can recall while diving the 1715 fleet wrecks off the east coast of FL. Never cared for scuba for anything other than the salvage stuff.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
[/quote]
Generally can't get in too much trouble on a one tank dive, but if you do too many too close together, you can.

Jerry
[/quote]

This is not true in any way, shape, or form! One tank or multiple tanks there is always risks in diving.

Entanglement, lost/missing diver, currents, Narcosis and the list goes on doesn't care how many tanks you have dived.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
First cert. was NAUI by an ex EOD diver. He was one of the original divers in the "Man in the Sea" program. We had to do a harassment swim where mask was took off, air turned off etc. it really prepared me for some tough dives.

Browning X-Bolt .30-06
Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x50 CDS

Tikka T3x Lite 308 win
Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x50 CDS
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by tomt53
First cert. was NAUI by an ex EOD diver. He was one of the original divers in the "Man in the Sea" program. We had to do a harassment swim where mask was took off, air turned off etc. it really prepared me for some tough dives.

Tomt52

My understanding is that NAUI was a great training program. To bad they didn't market it well. It has really fallen off. I thought about taking their course, my dive instructor who is BSAC, NAUI, SSI, and PADI certified told me at this point I would just be wasting my money. I really wish PADI would incorporate some of the old NAUI ways.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
NASDS certified in the mid-'70's. Mainly spearfishing. Still equipped, but haven't dove for years.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
SSI here a few years back previous to traveling to Belize.

One LONG night in the pool. Supposed to be a couple/few pool sessions. But I was on a short timeframe so they made it work. Homework previous to that. Then a couple open-water certification dives. Did this in late October-early November in northern Wyoming. My open-water was completed when the ambient temp was at or below freezing. Water temp, I believe, was in the low 50's.

Instructor was a former navy diver. Dove everywhere. Technical diver now. His stories about his deep dives were enough to spook me just a bit. And I don't spook that easy.

He was PADI and SSI certified instructor. Told me he preferred SSI because it gave him latitude to adjust the training based on his judgment. Case in point, when he and I did the open-water, he asked if I had gotten everything done during the pool work as he had another instructor take me through the pool work. I admitted they had not made me do my treading and lap-swim. I told him I had been training and could do it. He looked at me and said he was comfortable with my comfort-level in the water after watching me during the 2 different open-waters. That was good enough for him. In SSI, he had that latitude. Not with PADI.

Montana MOFO
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I was a NAUI instructor back in the mid 80's for retail dive shops. We did not do the harassment stuff back then, and I doubt that you will find any recreational/basic courses that do it today.

Most of my experience was in lakes and quarries around the Midwest. One of my deepest dives was 95 feet in a quarry in Redgranite, Wisconsin. It was dark and cold! Most memorable dive was about the same depth in a crystal clear freshwater spring in Florida at night with a full moon. I have not been underwater for about 15 years.

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (16gage, 1moredeer, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 57 invisible), 2,997 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,958
Posts18,519,418
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.