Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
being a true Luddite, I have a lot of 100, 75, 60 watt real light bulbs squirreled away.

Scary, we think along the same lines Sam. wink

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You know, there are some folks out there who use incandescent bulbs in their well house to keep the water lines going to the house from freezing in the winter.

There are others who use incandescent bulbs to heat their incubators so that eggs are kept at a just right temperature.

CFL's were, and are, a pain in the azz. LED's are great but have their limitations.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
put LED in there and never look back. Can't understand what folks would have against LED> I know about FL... but that didn't bother us, but i got it.

I've not seen one bad thing about LED.

I have nothing against LEDs. I like them and I'm converting my house over to to LED fixtures and bulbs.

But incandescents are useful for places you need safe heat output such as wellheads, pump houses and propane tank enclosures. Propane doesn't vaporize well much below 0* F. Kinda sucks when you can't fry up breakfast because it's -40*F and the burners barely put out a flame.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by lastofthebreed
You know, there are some folks out there who use incandescent bulbs in their well house to keep the water lines going to the house from freezing in the winter.

There are others who use incandescent bulbs to heat their incubators so that eggs are kept at a just right temperature.

CFL's were, and are, a pain in the azz. LED's are great but have their limitations.

I use a little portable heater for the well house.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rough service, fan bulbs, oven bulbs, garage operator bulbs, are all the same thing. A slightly smaller globe, and a heavier filament. (Vibration kills most bulbs) only one with a diffrence is the oven bulb, which has a heat coating on the globe to prevent broken glass in your food.
No matter what, THAT bulb will always exist, because all replacement bulb types melt at oven temps.
If they are not designed for the load,
I would suggest reducing those 300wt bulbs to what the fixtures and wires are rated for. Adding a few aftermarket lights would be a lot cheaper than the repairs from the possible fire.
Oversized bulbs are easy money sevice calls, because parts are burnt and have to be replaced. (I'd know, I'm the service tech.)

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The entire light bulb is the result of the EPA meddling with the climate change bullcrap. When the CFL's became the "norm" Sylvannia, Phillips and GE moved their
plants to China in order to be competitive with the cost of fluorescents - all the US plants closed. After the mercury and questionable service life took its toll and the new generation of bulbs. LED's were the next best thing to save the planet.
Like a few others, I have squirreled away dozens of "old style" bulbs that fit in the fixtures we have without modification.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 02/21/17.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444

Clicked this link, all I did was look for a minute or two, no info given, didn't even go as far as cart, they sent me a email soon after.
Was a first, I would rather not have happened.

Guess i'm going to have to look for a program to block such.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I love the old 300 watt bulbs.

I bought a case of them before they were criminalized.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I rebuild our old camp trailer and went 100% LED's. I get lots of light and the battery drain is a fraction of the old lights.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
They are good bulbs.

I have had one burning in my shop for two years now full time.

Keeps the bats out some.

I am MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I jumped on CFLs and then began replacing them with LEDs as I could afford it. It has made a noticeable reduction in our electric bill.

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by viking
I've been beaching about that for years, my last 300 watt bulb just bit the dust.

Sam could send you 3 - 100 watt bulbs.

grin

I could, but then nothing in life is free. lol

Sam......

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Just buy LED's and be done with it if you're lighting a room. LED's would have killed incandescent bulbs without the EPA anyway, no reason to cry about it. CFL's were a mistake. I have lots of 8 tracks and haven't had an 8 track player for 40 years. Things change, deal with it.

If you want to heat a room, there are much more efficient methods anyway and bulbs under 100 watt are still available. Use a fixture with two 60 watt bulbs.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Many people went out and bought a case or more of 100 and or 60 watt bulbs because of the regulation that was coming.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
When the bulb ban started, LED's were too expensive and sizes were limited. Since then, prices have dropped a lot and they're available in most common sizes. Necessity is the mother of invention.

― George Orwell

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
LED's are great and prices are getting lower but who wants to spend $10 or more for a bulb that gets used 1 or 2 times a year per the OP?

I just bought a pack of 3 LED bulbs for $6.00.

If that's a cause for financial concern, light bulbs are the least of a person's problems.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That's right. Have you checked the price of toilet paper lately?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
put LED in there and never look back. Can't understand what folks would have against LED> I know about FL... but that didn't bother us, but i got it.

Only bad thing I've noted is the cheap brands do NOT last anywhere NEAR as long as they advertise.. Already have had two fail and they're less than a year old..

Lesson learned..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We have several ceiling fans which all use, unfortunately, candelabra base bulbs. LED candelabra bulbs don't put out enough light. 60w incand bulbs are rated at nearly 800 lumens and I've never found LED's brighter than 550 even though they're rated at 60w equivalent. If you've ever seen 75w LED's with the small bases, please tell me where.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stevelyn

I have nothing against LEDs. I like them and I'm converting my house over to to LED fixtures and bulbs.

But incandescents are useful for places you need safe heat output such as wellheads, pump houses and propane tank enclosures. Propane doesn't vaporize well much below 0* F. Kinda sucks when you can't fry up breakfast because it's -40*F and the burners barely put out a flame.

Besides not given off much heat, which is why they're so efficient, most LED bulbs have a minimum operating temperature of no colder than -22° F. Not so good for outside use in places that get colder than that.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 1234, 55 invisible), 2,432 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,647
Posts18,474,558
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.