Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Leonten Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
The rifle is a Kimber 84M Classic with a satin finished walnut stock. It's currently chambered in the 257 Roberts. The work to be done is as follows:

1. Rechambered to the 257 Ackley Improved.
2. Jewel the bolt.
3. Lighten the trigger pull to 2 3/4 pounds.
4. Loosen the saftey (it's very hard to move).
5. Refinish the stock to high gloss.
6. Stamp on the barrel 257 Roberts AI.

Now for the explanation:

1. Three reasons. #1. I already have a gun in this chamber, so I'm already ready to reload this caliber. #2. I like the extra velocity in the Roberts AI. My goal is to average 3000 fps., with a 100 grain bullet. If it's equal to or over that. I'll adjust the load and try for the best accuracy. #3. The "wow" factor. When I'm hunting and somebody askes what I'm shooting I hand them the cartridge. They usually respond with...WOW!
2. What's not to like? This is more of a personal preference.
3. I know the Kimber has an easily adjustable trigger. However, I do not have a gauge to measure the trigger pull. And I am not going to guess. All of my bolt action rifle's have a (2 3/4#) trigger pull.
4. When I got the rifle I cleaned it. Before that the safety moved OK. Now, it's almost impossible to move. Maybe I got some oil in there and gummed it up.
5. Again, personal preference.
6. I am aware that the rear of the barrel has to have some metal removed. On my last conversion, when the barrel was replaced, all the previous markings, including the chambering, cannot be seen. The markings are now on the bottom of the barrel, covered by the stock.

If you do not feel comfortable quoting a price, give me a range. I'm going to have this done locally, I'm just trying to get an idea what the cost would be.

Thanks in advance.

One final thought, this is my gun. Not yours. If you're thinking I'm going to devalue the gun, I don't care! I bought this gun to hunt with, not as a wall hanger. I'll let my heirs deal with the value. If these changes are not something you would do, again I don't care. It's my rifle not yours! I'm asking the Gunsmiths what they will charge, everyone else's opinions are a moot point!

GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Good luck.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looking around for the "cheapest"?

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
Leonten Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Jkob
Looking around for the "cheapest"?

No, I prefer the best.

If you reload, there's no such thing as an obsolete cartridge.

Once you render an opinion, you open yourself up to criticism.
O
O
300$ for the rechamber. Its more than meets the eye. The barrel should be pulled and set back before chambering to get the headspace less than go. The AI will form better if the parent round is a light crush fit when it fires and forms to the new chamber.

300 to 400 more for the other stuff

IC B2

Leonten Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks.

Leonten Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Is there anyone else that can give me their qoute?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If I were Leonten, I would send it to Jkob. He's punched out many chambers.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Leonten
The rifle is a Kimber 84M Classic with a satin finished walnut stock. It's currently chambered in the 257 Roberts. The work to be done is as follows:

1. Rechambered to the 257 Ackley Improved.
2. Jewel the bolt.
3. Lighten the trigger pull to 2 3/4 pounds.
4. Loosen the saftey (it's very hard to move).
5. Refinish the stock to high gloss.
6. Stamp on the barrel 257 Roberts AI.

Now for the explanation:

1. Three reasons. #1. I already have a gun in this chamber, so I'm already ready to reload this caliber. #2. I like the extra velocity in the Roberts AI. My goal is to average 3000 fps., with a 100 grain bullet. If it's equal to or over that. I'll adjust the load and try for the best accuracy. #3. The "wow" factor. When I'm hunting and somebody askes what I'm shooting I hand them the cartridge. They usually respond with...WOW!

If you do not feel comfortable quoting a price, give me a range. I'm going to have this done locally, I'm just trying to get an idea what the cost would be.

Thanks in advance.

One final thought, this is my gun. Not yours. If you're thinking I'm going to devalue the gun, I don't care! I bought this gun to hunt with, not as a wall hanger. I'll let my heirs deal with the value. If these changes are not something you would do, again I don't care. It's my rifle not yours! I'm asking the Gunsmiths what they will charge, everyone else's opinions are a moot point!

Here's some moot: 3000 with a 100 grain bullet isn't even stretching the regular Roberts, and a set of top quality regular Roberts dies will cost a lot less than a set back and rechamber.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
jkob would be a great choice to do your work. He is reasonable and pretty quick.

IC B3

Leonten Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
It looks like I have two choices.

Choice number one: Have all the work done except the re-chambering.

Choice number two: Have all of all the work done including the re-chambering.

I think I'll take choice number one then work up a load and see how that works out. I can always have it re-chambered later.

Leonten Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well I started the process. I got a set of 257 Roberts reloading dies and shell holder. I also bought some RP 30/06 brass for converting to 257 Roberts. I took the rifle down to a gun shop in Santa Clara. They mounted the scope and I left them with the bolt so it can be jeweled.

Here is the conversion process. On the left is a 30/06 cartridge. Moving to the right is the '06 run through a 7 x 57 trim die. Then I run the cartridge through a 257 Roberts trim die. Cut off the excess with a hacksaw and then file it down. The next step is to ream the inside. Chamfer the inside outside neck then run it through a 257 Roberts sizing die. Load it up and fire in the Ackley improved chamber.

[Linked Image][/URL]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fun stuff!

LOL
Leonten Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
My buddy (Sena88) says it's awesome to convert the cartridges. He helped me convert several cartridges.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'll lighten the trigger for you ,cheap.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
7x57 brass is easily obtained for reforming to 257 Roberts. Why not use it rather than 30-06 if you can't find 257 Roberts brass?

If you would like some 257 brass I can give you some. PM me if you are interested. I also have a load of new 7x57 brass, and I can send you some of those if you like.

I understand your desire for a certain round, the 257 AI - been there and done that many times. However, my bolt action 250 Savage with 24" barrel gives a 100 grain bullet 3,000 fps.

Mule Deer's old Remington 722 in 257 Roberts will pust a 100 grain bullet 3,200 fps. A 257 AI will crowd 25-06 velocities - around 3,300 fps.

As someone said above, a standard 257 Roberts can easily give a 100 grain bulet 3,000 fps.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
Leonten Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I'll lighten the trigger for you ,cheap.
p

I just ordered a trigger gauge that way I can do it myself.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 54 invisible), 2,709 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,217
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.