Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
TexPat Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by RJY66
If you can find them, 180 grain round nose core-lokts is what you want. They will crush a whitetail. They expand quick like a 150 but do not blow apart on close range shots....sort of acts like a premium bullet....but are priced only a couple of bucks a box higher than the regular stuff. Obviously, anything will work but these used to be my preference when I had a tight place to hunt and before I bought a 30-30.

Shoot them from a treestand and you won't have anything to worry about.

Thank you.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TexPat
After getting access to private land, I bought a little M70 Compact Featherweight with an 20 inch barrel in .308. For the foreseeable future, it will be used almost exclusively in the Eastern woods on Deer.

1) I can't imagine taking a shot of over 150 yards. (If I do expect to take a long shot, I have different rifles available).

2) I expect that a typical shot will be 50-75 yard range.

3) Given the population density of my hunting area, I DO NOT want a round with extra carry. While there will be lots of trees to backstop any shot, if I miss, I want the projectile to run out of steam ASAP. Thus, a poor ballistic coefficient bullet would actually be desirable and I don't need a round loaded for maximum velocity.

Ideas for testing:??

4) I don't reload so Factory loads are a must.

Just about any factory 308 load meant for deer will do the job. I'd start cheap and stay in the 150-165 grain range and see what shoots the best. I shoot 165 grain Hornady Interlockt out of all my 308 and 30-06's. My sons shoot 150 grain Remington Corelokts. All of us shoot off-max reloads.

When you find something that works, buy yourself as much of it as you can and sit on it. That way, you're not reinventing the wheel before every season.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
It sounds like you need a bow. If you don't have safe shots, don't hunt there.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IMO there are a couple idea's I'd look at, to overcome your lack of ability to custom tune a load for the OP's parameters outlined.

Since higher MV speed's usually means longer range capability, the faster 150's IMO will generate more ricochets than say a 180 or 200gr'er & +1 on using a Round Nose or Soft Point bullet too...except for mebbe a Hornady SST with it's soft "fragile" front end.

But since down range speed is a potential problem, at least in the OP's mind, I'd also look at the Reduced Velocity/Recoil factory ammo for the OP's desired solution.

I came within a gnat's eyelash of doing this same exact thing last month, when I bought a 308 T3 closeout from Darrik, but changed my mind and was able to trade the 308 on a 6.5x55 Swede in the same exact gun with a 'fire member....to get the T3 SL into a "less felt recoil" area & be able to use on hand components from another 264.

Since I DO reload, and have for 40+ years, I was going to, and will, if I ever do pick up a 308 for this application ... run some 30-30 RN 170 gr'ers at about the 308 factory RV Lite Load MV's in the 24-2500's in what ever bullet brand groups best...only for the reduced recoil aspect of the project in my case. I've already sold off all the 308 diameter components and guns I'd had 90 days ago. ..and only bought the 308 out of thoughtless reflex whem the inventory of T3 SL's was down to the last couple on the shelf.
Ron

Last edited by verhoositz; 02/27/17.

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If you are worried about the bullet going too far hunt from an elevated stand so you're shooting at a down angle.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If you have any interest in reloading, your criteria sound perfect for shooting cast boolits.

“Lighten up Francis”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am so confused. How is the 45 70 the king of ricocheted? I thought I was behaving prudently, I have lots of 308 s and what not to shoot instead. But the higher the velocity the more it sounds like a spaghetti western out here in the rocky mountains?

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
big heavy bullets have a lot of momentum. And a big bullet at lower velocity tend not to deform as much on impact with hard soil, for instance, and can keep on going. A study on shotgun slug vs rifle (big slow projectile vs faster light projectile)was done by the pa game commission in 2007 here http://www.ihea-usa.org/_assets/documents/AFWA_Presentation_9-18-07.pdf

Interesting how far a big heavy slug goes after impact.

Upshot is, nothing is better than a shooter aware of what backstop is beyond his target.

By the way I used to use a shotgun slug as we are fairly populated here, and after seeing slugs bounce across fields, switched to 30-06, 308, and 223 for my deer hunting.

Edited to add:
I wouldnt stop using the 45-70, just dont get complacent thinking it wont go far. The 45-70 is great.

Same to the O.P., just use a good 150-165 or whatever bullet that shoots well.

Last edited by ruger438; 02/28/17.

�Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a closer look at the American Indian.� - Henry Ford
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm just going to load up the 155 scenar for shots near and far.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the Rem reduced loads. Hits about like a .243, much easier recoil, and does the job.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Just buy 3-4 different brand and weight loads and shoot the ones your gun groups best.

As for your safety concerns,it's not an issue that can be addressed by ammo selection. Follow laws and good sense about how far to be from roads and residential property. As others have said set up in a tree stand. Strategically place your stand. For instance,be at the top of the ridge instead of half way down so you will be shooting into the ground on any shots. I don't think you have to be concerned about ricochet off the ground.That would only likely be a danger at a very shallow angle to a very close unintended target. Just don't shoot toward any houses,even if you have a couple hundred yards of trees in the way. I wouldn't hunt with a rifle where I could see houses around me.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Any good brand 150 grain ammo will kill deer. Practice some before you go hunting. Lots of videos on shooting rifles.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How about the 150 grain Hornady SST? I used to use the 165 SST's in my 30-06 and man were they explosive! They killed the hell out of deer though. I have to think they wouldn't "over penetrate". Hornady loads it in their Superformance ammo.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Hornady American Whitetail and/or Winchester/Olin Deer Season XP 150 grain loads shoot good groups for me.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (257Bob, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 160user, 21, 260madman, 46 invisible), 2,647 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,368
Posts18,527,357
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.