Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Do yu need hearing protection with a suppressed elk rifle? There's an ad in Bugle magazine showing two hunters with hearing protection and a suppressed rifle. I thought hearing was the argument for hunting with a suppressed rifle.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, I'm not an expert on suppressors or decibels but I will be glad to give you an opinion. Suppressors suppress, not eliminate the sound of a shot being fired. Depending on the design of the suppressor, the amount of the gas being created and the length of the barrel, it may or may not take the sound to below a level that can do damage to the ears. Many just don't want to take the chance. If I'm hunting, I probably wouldn't use hearing protection. If I am at the range, I will use hearing protection. If you use a suppressor when around other people, they will appreciate it. Whether they say so or not.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
Do yu need hearing protection with a suppressed elk rifle?

No.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It works here in FL with elk and suppressors. Great hunting, but you'll not shoot often.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Anything faster than the speed of sound will still make a very large crack. That is why subsonic rounds are used for suppressors. This leads to lower velocity with heavy bullets, such as 147 grain 9 mm.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Snake River Marksman,

A friend of mine has a coyote problem. He decided a .300 blackout firing sub-sonic would be the trick setup. It was too loud. He happened on a fantastic deal on a Ruger 6.5 Creed. Since it was threaded he stuck the 7" long can on it. He told me he can shoot accurately to 700 yards quietly!

From my reading about .300 blackouts they are near worthless even at 200 yards as far as small targets go. I am crushed since I recently took a new .223 to the 'smith to have a .300 blackout barrel installed. When I get it back I will reinstall the .223 barrel and sell the .300 barrel.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ringy, the 6.5 is WAY louder than a subsonic blackout. No matter what BS line your 'friend' feeds you....

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Ringman
Snake River Marksman,

A friend of mine has a coyote problem. He decided a .300 blackout firing sub-sonic would be the trick setup. It was too loud. He happened on a fantastic deal on a Ruger 6.5 Creed. Since it was threaded he stuck the 7" long can on it. He told me he can shoot accurately to 700 yards quietly!

From my reading about .300 blackouts they are near worthless even at 200 yards as far as small targets go. I am crushed since I recently took a new .223 to the 'smith to have a .300 blackout barrel installed. When I get it back I will reinstall the .223 barrel and sell the .300 barrel.

Your friend's an idiot.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
It works here in FL with elk and suppressors. Great hunting, but you'll not shoot often.

no Dan, you mean Unicorns and suppressors. lol

the other week, a fellow at the Hernando Sportsman's club was using a suppressed Mac10. pfffffffffffft............pffffffffffft

Last edited by Mannlicher; 02/27/17.

Sam......

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
My 308 with subsonic is very quiet, no louder than a BB gun. Full power loads are still loud. The subsonic works well in the yard. My neighbors had a dog that came in the yard and growled at my grandchildren. They are still looking for him.

Subsonic loads are like a 40 S&W power wise. It will kill pigs at 50 yards. Trajectory like a rainbow 🌈 If I'm sighted an inch high at 100 yards with full power loads, it's 13 clicks up to hit at 50 yards. The clicks are a 1/2 on the old Redfield Accutrac scope.

IC B3

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by deflave
Snake River Marksman,

Your friend's an idiot.

Dave

His friend is the idiot???

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
hanco summed it up pretty well. I shoot a suppressed .44 "mag" subsonic for hogs. With heavy hard cast bullets it kills very well out to maybe 65 yards, and the sound is less than a .22. I can make it quieter, using Trail Boss and both lighter bullets and powder charges, but it won't kill as well.

I could get by without hearing protection with it, and often do.

Mike

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Snake River Marksman,

Good Lord.

Let's count.

*300BLK subsonic is louder louder than a 6.5 Creed.

*He shoots it accurately out to 700 yards.

*Since when does coyote hunting require shooting totally silenced?

*That barrel swap is a train wreck waiting to happen.

crazy grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Everyone of you don't know anything about suppressors. I've watched all kinds of movies and every one of those suppressors was so quiet that even the hammer dropping was quieted. In fact I'm going to get one of those suppressed rifles you see in the movies that are in 3 pieces in a suitcase and go together in 20 seconds and never miss and with a suppressor even better. Shhhhhhhhh. Caint hear it.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Be pretty safe bet that at 700 yards, when shot with either a Blackout or Creedmore - suppressed - a coyote would not need hearing protection.

Mike

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by spencer516
Anything faster than the speed of sound will still make a very large crack. That is why subsonic rounds are used for suppressors. This leads to lower velocity with heavy bullets, such as 147 grain 9 mm.

There isn't a suppressor made to defy breaking the sound barrier.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

The answer is still no.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do yu need hearing protection with a suppressed elk rifle? There's an ad in Bugle magazine showing two hunters with hearing protection and a suppressed rifle. I thought hearing was the argument for hunting with a suppressed rifle.

they are shooting a rifle with a suppressor screwed on it.that does not mean they are shooting sub-sonic ammo. without sub-sonic ammo the rifle will still be fairly loud but can often be shot shot without hearing protection.the suppressor will dampen noise enough to stop it from hurting your ears. if you shoot sub-sonic ammo at around 1050fps in any caliber you will cut your effective range down to 150-200yds tops.with a 300bo its 100-150yds max.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by deflave

The answer is still no.

Back on the sauce eh?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
Originally Posted by spencer516

There isn't a suppressor made to defy breaking the sound barrier.

That's not true. Hollywood has em. Seen it on my tv.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

154 members (41rem, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 23 invisible), 2,043 guests, and 1,014 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,706
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.