Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
This is actually one of the toughest decisions I've faced. My wife and I are buying my mom's house...she has moved to a retirement home. My parents built it over 30 years ago, it was designed by an architect who is long dead.

It is a Georgian style brick home. We need to change a few things. The biggest being replacing a greenhouse at basement level in the back with an addition that will be the master bath on the second level in the back, first level in the front (built on a hill).

Anyway not knowing anybody in the construction or architecture business it is tough to know who to go with. It seems these days most new construction is off of preexisting plans, and lots of spec homes.

So most of the architecture firms are not interested in this sort of project. The independent architects are still around, but harder to get info on. There are lot of construction companies with in-house archtitects, but that seems like it would take away the check and balance advantage of having an architect.

So now I am leaning on going toward a guy who's office is the street from mine. He has been quickly responsive to my wife's queries. About an hour away from the job. Hasn't work with builders directly in the area of the home but says he should be able to assist in picking a good one.

I spoke to an in house architect of a custom construction company. They were very eager to do it but did not want to spend a lot time answering questions when I stated I was in the interviewing process. They had a lot of nice looking homes on their website but not the names or background of their professionals which I thought strange. I mentioned this to the guy on the phone and he had not response.

My wife had also talked to a couple guys 2 hours away...who came recommended by a builder in that area...but that seems too far away for a quick turnaround on design, questions, addressing potential problems, etc.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If there is a design/build contractor with good references in your area it would greatly simplify things.
Check references first and establish a realistic budget.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Where are you located?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Picking an architect shouldn't be that hard, you have one nearby.

The nice thing about architects is that no damage is done if you don't like him/design themes etc etc.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by kingston
Where are you located?

Couple hours west of Richmond.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I can't help you there. I have family in N. Virginia who've got a guy they like. I'd get someone close. As was said earlier, a high quality design build firm will save you time and money.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
did not want to spend a lot time answering questions when I stated I was in the interviewing process.

Did you tell them you'd be willing to pay an hourly rate while interviewing them? Sounds like you need a general contractor.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Time is money.
When they think you are serious they will talk to you. Ask for references first. If they don't pan out nobody loses anything.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I ended up going with an older independent architect whose office is around the corner from mine. Although I had never met him before, he is accessible, has experience with traditional architecture from the area, and is working on the project immediately. I'm optimistic at the moment.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I would ask the City or county in your area (whoever approves the permitting for the projects). Find out who are some good ones to work with. Who gets things done on time, and right the first time? Who is responsive? They will likey have a short list of good people to recommend.

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I'm confused why a good contractor would need a architect for this type of work? Not being cynical. Serious question

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
For my addition on my house here in Texas, I used a "professional building designer". They do residential construction design/addition projects. May not be an option in all states, but is an option, here. Sat down with he and my contractor for 1-2 hours, and was able to figure out/design a 1000sq ft addition to my home.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
architects are braindead artists run from them. A good building contractor should be able to help you.

I like liberals-------------------------------------they make good bear bait! grin
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by kevinJ
I'm confused why a good contractor would need a architect for this type of work? Not being cynical. Serious question

For some situations, yes the are needed. One in particular that I'm working on right now. The client has hunted all over the world and has trophies he wants to display. We are building a trophy room "building". A first for me, but luckily this guy is best buddies with Kenny Jarrett and we live 30 minutes away from him. Was able to crawl around in his trophy museum and take a lot of notes.

On top of that, the client lives in a historic area of town. They have a historic review committee that must approve any revonations/additions to any homes in the area. A full set of plans is required. No back of the napkin sketches. In walks the architect. He is familiar with these requirements and has a partner on the committee. When it comes to high end work, most folks want an architect to help them figure the logistics out. Not that I can't with enough time, but its what they do. Design. I build. A good architect thats open to change and suggestions is invaluable to a contractor like me where I bring a design build approach to the table. We work as a team saving the client time and money.

Last edited by Mgw619; 02/27/17.

You'll shoot your eye out

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (22kHornet, 222Sako, 19rabbit52, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 1OntarioJim, 46 invisible), 1,948 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,461
Posts18,508,205
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.